Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Area Studies > Asia

Old 02-06-2022, 19:50   #1
Airbornelawyer

North Korea Hacked Him. So He Took Down Its Internet

https://www.wired.com/story/north-ko...ternet-outage/

A few quotes:

Quote:
Just over a year ago, an independent hacker who goes by the handle P4x was himself hacked by North Korean spies. P4x was just one victim of a hacking campaign that targeted Western security researchers with the apparent aim of stealing their hacking tools and details about software vulnerabilities. He says he managed to prevent those hackers from swiping anything of value from him. But he nonetheless felt deeply unnerved by state-sponsored hackers targeting him personally—and by the lack of any visible response from the US government.

So after a year of letting his resentment simmer, P4x has taken matters into his own hands. “It felt like the right thing to do here. If they don’t see we have teeth, it’s just going to keep coming,” says the hacker. ... “I want them to understand that if you come at us, it means some of your infrastructure is going down for a while.”
Quote:
He acknowledges that his attacks amount to no more than “tearing down government banners or defacing buildings,” as he puts it. But he also says that his hacking has so far focused on testing and probing to find vulnerabilities. He now intends to try actually hacking into North Korean systems, he says, to steal information and share it with experts. At the same time, he's hoping to recruit more hacktivists to his cause with a dark website he launched Monday called the FUNK Project—i.e. “FU North Korea”—in the hopes of generating more collective firepower.
Quote:
P4x says his hacktivist efforts are meant to send a message not only to the North Korean government, but also his own. His cyberattacks on North Korean networks are, he says, in part an attempt to draw attention to what he sees as a lack of government response to North Korean targeting of US individuals. “If no one ’s going to help me, I’m going to help myself,” he says.
Airbornelawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 08:07   #2
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airbornelawyer View Post
I wonder how many P4x'ish hacktivists are out there independently pursuing self-proclaimed vengeance??
Not dis-similar to Salander, the hacker in the movie series Girl with the Dragan Tattoo, by writer Stieg Larsson.

Quote:

The Dragon Tattoo Stories film series consists of American films based on the Millennium novels which were written by Stieg Larsson and David Lagercrantz. The plot centers around the novels' primary protagonists, Lisbeth Salander and Mikael Blomkvist, as they investigate criminal injustices; with Salander being a vigilante, computer-hacker that takes matters into her own hands.
I wish them luck in their phishing & DDOS efforts...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 110718thegirlinthespidersweb_960x540.jpg (23.1 KB, 19 views)

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote