Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Gourmet Guerrilla

Old 01-11-2021, 14:00   #16
alelks
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn View Post
Water source is very important to bread making. One of the few qualities that NYC has over the rest of this region is bread quality. The city water is sourced in the Catskills, the water quality is fantastic, resulting in great bread.
I think we're on to something here:

https://mytapscore.com/blogs/tips-fo...tant-in-baking

Can Water Quality Affect the Taste of Bread?

Sourdough starters may be sensitive to your water quality because it can alter the microbiome of helpful bacteria needed to leaven your dough. Different bacteria favor different minerals (like magnesium, potassium, sodium, and sulfate), which can change the tanginess and other flavors being developed. None of this is likely to result in bad tasting bread–it just might taste differently. Experiments with instant yeast suggest that water quality may not have much impact on the taste of bread. In both cases, there isn’t a big body of literature on tap water quality and baking, so more research is needed.
alelks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 23:23   #17
PSM
Area Commander

Quote:
PSM, Thank you for the kindness!
Sent this morning.

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 14:28   #18
Badger52
Area Commander

Tagged. This is really interesting. I would love to hear results from the recipients of PSM's efforts.

The coin paid to enforce words on parchment is blood; tyrants will not be stopped with anything less dear. - QP Peregrino
Badger52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 13:32   #19
Penn
Area Commander

Pictures is a few days if all goes well. PSM was kind enough to share his hoard of sourdough starter, have contacted a few peers who are supplying insight, one has stated to forego bread flour, for a good organic All Purpose & Wheat blend 75%AP/25% wheat. Anyone been down that road?
Penn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 13:44   #20
PSM
Area Commander

Quote:
Pictures is a few days if all goes well. PSM was kind enough to share his hoard of sourdough starter, have contacted a few peers who are supplying insight, one has stated to forego bread flour, for a good organic All Purpose & Wheat blend 75%AP/25% wheat. Anyone been down that road?
Glad to see that you are on the mend and back in the saddle, D. Looking forward to your results.

BTW, I promised alelks some but, if he sent me his address I missed it. I've sent him several PMs but he hasn't been on here since January. Anyone have contact with him?

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken

Last edited by PSM; 05-07-2021 at 13:46.
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote