Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces > Special Forces Questions

Old 04-23-2006, 20:19   #1
Fonzy
Guerrilla

A different discussion on deployments

Gentlemen,
Apolagies if this is in the wrong thread, I figured here or General Discussion might be the best, please move if needed.
On topic, I was wondering how you QPs with families and wives/girlfriends handle the stress of deployments. I know the Army has put a ton of effort into family support groups, but what else have you personally done "behind the scenes" to help ease the tension and stress?
A little background, my unit is gearing up for a year long deployment (not sure exactly how much I'm allowed to say because of opsec), but it's not to Iraq, Aghanistan, or any of the "hot spots". I can tell my family is a little stressed out, but they're not saying too much - at least not to me. My father was 22 years military, so they're a little used to deployments. My girlfriend (serious relationship, year and a half) on the other hand, has been driving me bonkers. She's in the Guard, but hasn't been for that long and hasn't delt with any deployments.

What does a QP, or any soldier for that matter, do to help ease the stress and nervousness for all parties involved in a deployment?

Thank you,
PFC Fonz
Fonzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 22:31   #2
Warrior-Mentor
Quiet Professional

Girlfriends are a strange animal...depends how well she's integrated herself with the other spouses in your unit. Would introduce her to some of the other significant others before departing...add her to the FRG call list (if she likes). That way she'll get the calls etc on when you're coming home and any unit social events or get togethers they may be having while you're gone.

Def give her a mailing address. Depending on where you're going and what you're doing, you may or may not have e-mail access...which will help help or hurt.

Would def plan on writing her while gone.

Also, Saw a book this weekend, Separated by Duty.
Haven't read it, but it looked decent. Check out the site.
Warrior-Mentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 08:36   #3
AngelsSix
Area Commander

From a female perspective...girlfriends can go either way, bad or good. A lot of family support is great, i.e. - someone she can pick up the phone from your family to reassure her when days get long. A hobby, job or school is the best thing for a girlfriend. A busy mind is a quiet mind. Also, as far as family members, they get used to the idea....just try to stay in touch as frequently as possible, even if it is a two word email "I'm OK". It helps everyone to know that you aren't worrying about things you cannot control while you are gone. Don't let anyone's actions at home stress YOU out. Once they pick up on you freaking out, they will do it more to get your undivided attention.
Good luck on your trip and be safe, feel free to PM me with questions or comments or requests.

We must always fear the wicked. But there is another kind of evil that we must fear the most, and that is the indifference of good men - Boondock Saints

Iraq was never lost and Afghanistan was never quite the easy good war. Those in the media too often pile on and follow the polls rather than offer independent analysis. Campaign rhetoric and politics are one thing - the responsibility of governance is quite another.
- Victor Davis Hanson
AngelsSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 09:57   #4
SRT31B
SF Candidate

I meant to hit the search button first...
More to follow...

Last edited by SRT31B; 05-05-2006 at 10:02.
SRT31B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 10:25   #5
SRT31B
SF Candidate

ENGAGE BRAIN HOUSING GROUP!!!

Yep, I found it... disregard last...

Man, I was almost "that guy."

One more time around the perimeter...
SRT31B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 11:17   #6
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

"Stress of deployments"? Has something changed?

I've been foward deployed for the last 16 years. My question is, "Where the hell is everybody else?"
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 11:44   #7
jbour13
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by NousDefionsDoc

I've been foward deployed for the last 16 years. My question is, "Where the hell is everybody else?"
The next generation of NCO's are bringing up the rear conducting straggler control.

Soft skillers like myself got you covered doc!

"Let the blood of the infantry flow through your veins,or the blood of the infantry will be on your hands."
- GEN John A. Wickham, Jr. speaking on the responsibilities of MI soldiers.
jbour13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 11:04   #8
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

You might do a search here, this topic has been flogged to death.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 03:14   #9
12B4S
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by NousDefionsDoc

Damn! NDD. Just need your coordinates and map sheet name, series and number. Oh yeah. I would prefer it it to be a 1:50,000. So maybe some of us will be 16 years late. Got beer?
Old 05-09-2006, 11:19   #10
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12B4S
Got beer?
What the hell? Sometimes I feel like nobody gets me at all...
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 00:39   #11
12B4S
Quiet Professional

OKOKOK Doc......... 'nuff said.

(now that is the sort of answer, I expected)