Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Soapbox

Old 11-30-2022, 18:21   #1
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

Trust in the Military

I think many of you will appreciate this editorial in tomorrow morning's Wall Street Journal: https://www.wsj.com/articles/america...hare_permalink
Roguish Lawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 20:55   #2
Joker
Quiet Professional

I understand and agree with them reference thier concerns.
Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 21:51   #3
Badger52
Area Commander

From strategic considerations (as nations are amused by us) to clear deltas in tactical capability, to the social impacts of families with a history of martial service advising their kin not to join... we've discussed this over/under/sideways/down in these pages. The article, coming as it does from the WSJ, will get some attention and is right on, in my view.

That said, I don't see the current Pentagon flack, or Kirby now at NSC or Karine Jean-Pierre being asked serious questions about it by anyone. Nah... Jennifer Griffin is too invested in her access at the Pentagon, so they're probably safe. Kirby will simply lie, while smiling at the reporter in condescending fashion, and KJP will flip through her 11.5 pound binder while her eyelids increase their nervous flicker rate to 680 fpm.

Good article, a rock thrown against a really heavy windshield.

The coin paid to enforce words on parchment is blood; tyrants will not be stopped with anything less dear. - QP Peregrino
Badger52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 21:53   #4
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Good assessment!

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 05:52   #5
JimP
Quiet Professional

an interesting tidbit to the article: when the Navy ended photos going to promotion boards, the promotion rate for minorities actually FELL. So that proved their theory that photos were being used to discriminate....; however, they were discriminating against WHITE people. That is why the Navy is considering going back to using photos in the boards. We had a great discussion about that yesterday with one of my guys who is a Naval Commander in the Reserves.

Of course the Army is going full speed ahead with its diversity, equity, and inclusion bullshit and stopping the practice of photos going into boards. (insert nose-picking GIF 'here').
JimP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 09:44   #6
Badger52
Area Commander

FNC's Dana Perino & Bill Hemmer dug into it for 5 minutes with Gillian Turner at Pentagon & a (lady) "fellow" from the Reagan Institute, including some lies before Congress from the current (ahem) SECDEF.

This'll go away in a week, as Tim Cook swears he never said the Twitter app would be banned from the Apple Store and more are concerned with the outcome of the Georgia runoff. At News-Day+10 insert new shiny object.

The coin paid to enforce words on parchment is blood; tyrants will not be stopped with anything less dear. - QP Peregrino
Badger52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 13:52   #7
Box
Quiet Professional

I'd say trust eroded when a seated CJCS admittedly communicated with Chinese forces in a way that completely undermined the seated POTUS regarding matters of national security..
some might even call that high treason - I wouldn't because its probably just a misunderstanding - but some would
Opinions stated in this post are solely those of the author, and in no way reflect the opinions or policies of The Department of Defense, The United States Army, The Royal Canadian Mounted Police, The Screen Actors Guild, The Boy Scouts, The Good, The Bad, or The Ugly. These opinions are provided purely as overly sarcastic social commentary and are not meant to be used for mission planning or navigation.

"Make sure your own mask is secure before assisting others"
-Airplane Safety Briefing
Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 16:38   #8
sg1987
Guerrilla Chief

After reading many of the comments posted in this article,(and observing election results), I am dismayed that there are so many leftists in our country subscribing to so much dung!
Old 12-01-2022, 18:45   #9
bubba
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by sg1987 View Post
After reading many of the comments posted in this article,(and observing election results), I am dismayed that there are so many leftists in our country subscribing to so much dung!
To Quote Einstein: “there are two things that are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I’m not too sure about the universe”
“Use teamwork and control. A squad without teamwork and control is nothing more than a small mob with weapons. Success depends on a high level of teamwork and control within the squad.” — pg. 3-596 STP 7-11BCHM-SM-TG

“Let’s go Brandon!” — Kelli Stavast

"...I like a little rebellion now and then. It is like a storm in the atmosphere.” — Thomas Jefferson

When the Revolution goes “live”, the People I’m worried about, are NOT the People I worry about. — Me
bubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 07:18   #10
Razor
Quiet Professional

Based on the latest version of the proposed NDAA, I'd say Congress has very little trust in the military policing its own. Here's the list of additional "covered offenses" for which commanders lose UCMJ authority to a Special Trial Counsel:
  • Article 117a - Wrongful broadcast or distribution of intimate visual images
  • Article 118 – Murder
  • Article 119 – Manslaughter
  • Article 120 – Rape and sexual assault generally
  • Article 120b – Rape and sexual assault of a child
  • Article 120c – Other sexual misconduct (indecent viewing, recording, or broadcasting; forcible pandering; indecent exposure)
  • Article 125 – Sodomy
  • Article 128b – Domestic violence
  • Article 130 – Stalking
  • Article 132 – Frauds against the United States
  • Conspiracy to commit any of the above
  • Solicitation to commit any of the above
  • Attempt to commit any of the above
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 07:51   #11
7624U
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
Based on the latest version of the proposed NDAA, I'd say Congress has very little trust in the military policing its own. Here's the list of additional "covered offenses" for which commanders lose UCMJ authority to a Special Trial Counsel:
  • Article 117a - Wrongful broadcast or distribution of intimate visual images
  • Article 118 – Murder
  • Article 119 – Manslaughter
  • Article 120 – Rape and sexual assault generally
  • Article 120b – Rape and sexual assault of a child
  • Article 120c – Other sexual misconduct (indecent viewing, recording, or broadcasting; forcible pandering; indecent exposure)
  • Article 125 – Sodomy
  • Article 128b – Domestic violence
  • Article 130 – Stalking
  • Article 132 – Frauds against the United States
  • Conspiracy to commit any of the above
  • Solicitation to commit any of the above
  • Attempt to commit any of the above
No not Article 125 !!!! How will anyone get promoted without this key power...

"Me"
7624U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 11:01   #12
Box
Quiet Professional

I thought about this quite a bit after my first post in this thread and I realized that five lines of climate-controlled snark just wasn't enough.

It's the holiday season - people need a “pick me up” - they need something to read while they are in their pajamas, sitting in their easy chair, drinking their coffee, and pretending to be productive while "teleworking"

...hahahahaha “Teleworking™” - now THERES a big fucking trust-builder to start this rant - I think I may have just pee'd a little in my boxer shorts a little bit.

Boxers - that’s funny - BOXers - I'm even part of the underwear game - anyway, I’m getting off track…
…let’s take a step back and see how deep this "trust in the military" problem really goes.

Hold onto your hats mother fuckers – RANT MODE ACTIVATED:

Lets start off with something that seems more at home in a Seinfeld episode than a discussion about the military and their “trust problem” - the US Army Beef Scandal.
After a quickly drawn “contract” to provide provisions to Army expeditionary forces, the Army started feeding rot gut quality beef to its troops. Beef that was so poorly handled that it was chemically contaminated and spoiled.
…but hey, eat up boys.
This fucking bad-beef fiasco actually killed twice as many soldiers during the Spanish American war than actual combat with the Spanish. Notable is that one of the contract companies is still in business and is the ONLY certified Japanese Wagyu Cattle distributor on the eastern seaboard. The other makes “Treet” – for the uninitiated, Treet is a cheap knockoff of SPAM.
A cheap knockoff of SPAM – say that in your head a few times and tell me – does the company that made a cheap knockoff of SPAM sound like a company that would sell shitty meat to the Army so Frank Costanza could over season it and serve it in his mess hall? When you combine a company that distributes Japanese Wagyu Beef and a company that makes a cheap SPAM substitute and tell them to send some meat to the troops at a heavily discounted price, do you expect a shady result?
Yes.
The fucking correct answer is YES.

The trust is already flowing through my veins, and I am just getting started.

Did the Ohio National Guard earn any trust for the military when they opened fire at Kent State and killed 4 student protestors?
...I wasn't there – I’m just asking for a friend

What about that little frat-party-run-amok at Mai Lai in March of 1968?
Yes, the same frat party that was pretty much covered up until November of 1969 when the DoD just couldn’t cover it up any longer. How much trust in the military did THAT little bit of poor judgement build ?? Considering that the military essentially covered it up for over a year, I don’t feel like that was one of our more ‘transparent’ moments in the era of military trust building. Whatever came of that little error in tactical judgement that the peace-niks called a massacre?
I mean, other than the ONE GUY being convicted a serving 3 years on house arrest?
...again, I wasn't there - I'm just asking for a friend

Oh - and here's one that just won't go silently into that good night...
Quote:
If You Or Your Family Were Exposed To Contaminated Water At Camp Lejeune, Let Us Help You. It's Time For The Men & Women Who Served Our Country & Their Families To Receive the Compensation They Deserve! Toxic chemicals were released into the water supply systems from 1953 to 1987. This means that nearly 1 million people may have been exposed to these harmful chemicals. As a result, anyone who lived or worked at Camp Lejeune for at least 30 days during this period may now be entitled to compensation.
WHAT.IN.THE.ACTUAL.FUCK.
...SERIOUSLY?
This shit went on for 34 fucking years - and was then COVERED UP for another 35 fucking years before the fucking ambulance chasers finally got a hold of it?

Housing for soldiers hasn’t really been all that trustworthy in recent memory – well, not until things went completely off the rails at MacDill AFB as part of a 65 MILLION dollar lawsuit – of course most of the executives walked away scott free while the military basically gaslighted the victims and let the issue die a silent death. Has housing gotten any better?
…my son’s hasn’t - but you know - those lower enlisted folks just like to complain. Besides, we need to use this money to reseed the Penncross Bent on the main post golf course putting green.

Boy oh boy - the trust in the military is just squirting out of my asshole at this point.

And how about this one: I've got two words that will jog your "trust" in the military and its institutions:
-Lieutenant
-Colonel
-Oliver
-North
-United
-States
-Marine
-Corps
...how did the trust in the military work on that one?
I'd say more about this, but, I don't recall.
Really, I cant remember.
I don't recall and I can't remember.

Fat Leonard?
Agent Orange?
The VA Health Scandal?
Abu Ghraib?
What about "XO Movie Night", on the USS Enterprise?
THE FUCKING USS ENTERPRISE (talking about CVN-65 not NCC-1701; Mr Spock wouldn’t have gotten involved in such shenanigans)
…for what its worth – the “XO” during the "XO Movie Night" scandal was actually a graduate of Top Gun so, go figure. Depending on your point of view, "XO Movie Night" was pretty harmless and never got any complaints from the crew or is subordinate leaders - but - once congress got a hold of it - LOOKOUT MOTHERFUCKERS - RIGHTEOUSNESS IS COMING

Here is another one of my favorites – the side effects of mefloquine?
…it took until 2013 before USSOCOM decided that with three alternatives for chloroquine resistant malaria prophylaxis, perhaps there was something better – but boy oh boy – the dreams you would have were certainly worth the ride – amiright?

What about everyone’s favorite Marine turned politician, James Mattis and his haphazard response to the Haditha Massacre?
Mistakes were made.
Pfft... moving on

What about politicians that said we should have stayed in college instead of getting stuck in Irack?
What about politicians that called us baby killers and murderers?
What about politicians that called our offensive efforts “night raids” and compared US SOF to the Nazi stormtroopers?
Is it at all possible that part of the trust problem comes from our sElected representatives bad mouthing the military as a way of building political street cred?
Yes.
Again, the correct fucking answer is 'Yes'

When our self-righteous virtue signaling politicians take every opportunity to accuse the military of sexism, racism, nationalism, and every other bad-ism they can come up with, you can’t expect the public to just give their trust freely.

Then of course is the wokeness addressed in the article…
An admiral suggesting that the Navy should consider reviving the practice of looking at photos in promotion boards indirectly because it allows them to make promotion decisions based explicitly on race doesn’t build trust.
…because muh’ diversity

Or that fat SF guy, Chairman Mack Milky, testifying to congress that he wanted to understand “white rage,” in response to reasonable inquiries about whether cadets at West Point should be learning critical race theory
…because muh inclusivity

Soldiers, Sailors, Marines, and Airmen (and Airwomen) keep getting arrested for drug smuggling, murder, rape, torturing prisoners, pissing on dead bodies, more rape, embezzlement, conspiracy to commit and cover up drug smuggling, murder, rape, and embezzlement…
…and suddenly, this problem with the military and the problem with squandering the public trust doesn’t seem like such a mystery after all.

Besides, I spent 30 years in the US Army and while I would have willingly sacrificed my life for my nation as well as the men and women that I served with – but I don’t trust the “institution” any further than I could throw somebody that is currently flagged under AR 600-9.

Trust.
People keep using that word. I do not think it means what they think it means.

RANT MODE DEACTIVATED

That is all.
Opinions stated in this post are solely those of the author, and in no way reflect the opinions or policies of The Department of Defense, The United States Army, The Royal Canadian Mounted Police, The Screen Actors Guild, The Boy Scouts, The Good, The Bad, or The Ugly. These opinions are provided purely as overly sarcastic social commentary and are not meant to be used for mission planning or navigation.

"Make sure your own mask is secure before assisting others"
-Airplane Safety Briefing

Last edited by Box; 12-08-2022 at 11:22.
Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 12:39   #13
bblhead672
Area Commander

Great rant Box...
There was also that little incident in 1932 where President Hoover ordered Gen. MacArthur to use Army calvary, infantry and tanks to drive impoverished WW1 veterans out of their camps in DC. Did MacArthur decline to use deadly force against his countrymen? No.

Anyone who believes the US Military would not kill their countrymen if ordered to do so do not have a full understanding of US history and the willingness of people to follow orders whether or not Constitutional or moral.
“Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.”

--Thomas Jefferson
bblhead672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 16:00   #14
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

I watched Patton for probably the 134th time the other day. Watch the opening scene, where he's speaking in front of the big flag. Listen to what he says, and compare his characterization of the US with what we are seeing today. Ask your self how this country has reversed its entire ethos 180 degrees in such a short period of time.

The US insurgency that started in the 1960s, or perhaps earlier, has succeeded in flipping the whole freaking country on its head. They are now in power. Now we celebrate losers and demonize winners. I don't see any of it changing unless we bring out the playbook and actually use it. Here.
Roguish Lawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 19:25   #15
Surf n Turf
Guerrilla Chief

TRUST IN THE MILITARY

Box,
Extremely concise and well written (as usual).

I was going to say this all occurred after my time…but My Lai was in ’68 and I was still pushing the broom for uncle Sugar. In the ’70 I was at Kent State the night before the shooting, (and at the time thought it was a reasonable response)..They burned the ROTC building that night, and cut the firemen’s hoses as they were in the burning building. I’ve since changed my mind of the event, even if General DelCorso heard shots (or not) from the protesters.

I did spend all of my single life in WWII buildings, in CONUS and Europe, but they weren’t that old back then. (but some barracks still had Nazi adlers on the handrails).

I looked it up, they gave us Halofantrine in the 60/70 period for malaria. (It only had potential for high levels of cardiotoxicity.)The real bad one was the plague immunization.

I’m not sure where the Army goes from here. Things got pretty bad in the ‘70’s, and if you read Stormin Normans book, a group of Jr. Officers, and Senior NCO’s stayed in, and (it looks like) for a period of time resurrected the honor and esprit de corps of the service. Maybe these things go in cycles, and the NCO’s of today (including your son) might again save the Army from itself.

SnT

Democrats would burn down this country as long as they get to rule over the ashes

The FBI’s credibility was murdered by a sniper on Ruby Ridge; its corpse was burned to ashes outside Waco; soiled in a Delaware PC repair shop;. and buried in the basement of Mar-a-Lago..
Surf n Turf is offline   Reply With Quote