Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces Weapons > Ammo Talk

Old 02-08-2015, 12:00   #1
jatx
Area Commander

Reloading for precision rifle

EDIT: I went straight to the search tool and missed TS's recent thread on a similar topic.

I have started to shoot primarily long distance and it is proving to be a great new challenge, bringing a lot of enjoyment back to the sport for me. I've either taken or am signed up for classes with Paul Howe, Todd Hodnett, Rifles Only, K&M, etc., and am focused primarily on PRS events and long-range hunting. Current rifles are an 18" LaRue OBR .308 and a custom GAP 6.5 CM bolt gun.

Recognizing that I am still on the starting line of a very long journey, I am looking for ways to eliminate non-shooter driven inconsistency. Up until now, I have used factory 175 gr. FGMM in my .308 and the factory 140 gr. AMAX in 6.5. I want to push the .308 to 1,000 yards and the 6.5 to 1,500 yards with as much precision, consistency and efficiency as possible.

Given that long preamble, what guidance would some of you offer regarding reloading? I've installed a bench in my garage, but haven't made any other purchases yet. I'm a "buy once, cry once" type of guy and want to get stuff that will suit me for the long haul. I also want to have the most streamlined workflow possible. Assume that I will only be reloading .223, .308, and 6.5 CM for the time being, and that I don't care about pistol or shotgun. Recommendations seem to be all over the map and this topic hasn't been addressed in quite awhile.

Thanks in advance for helping me to separate the signal from the noise!
"Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave whither Thou goest." - Ecclesiastes 9:10

"If simple folk are free from care and fear, simple they will be, and we must be secret to keep them so." - JRRT

Last edited by jatx; 02-08-2015 at 16:44.
jatx is offline   Reply With Quote