Old 03-18-2015, 07:24   #16
spottedmedic111
Quiet Professional

I had a classmate get married in San Antonio during the medic Q course but didn't take any leave, just spent the weekend at a hotel since we were all in barracks. To ask for special consideration before you're even qualified is a glaring reflection of poor character. There are many, many sacrifices necessary and expected in Special Forces but duty trumps personal considerations most of the time. During training you must give all, or don't bother joining. As the old saying goes, SF doesn't transform you, we only train you. You have to be ready for all of it before beginning.
spottedmedic111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 08:35   #17
Guy
Quiet Professional

Unhappy Someone has got too be playing around....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brennus View Post
My question is, is leave allowed between phases at SFQC?

And if it is, if I had a certain event I wanted to attend, is an individual allowed to postpone beginning a phase to ensure they are allowed leave?

If specificity matters, the event is my sisters wedding and its Memorial Day weekend 2016. I'm going to MEPS Monday and I'm looking at a July ship date. My parents are pleading I push my enlistment back at least a year because they feel thats the only way I can be certain I can attend.

Open to any advice.

Also, its probably dangerous that my second post is a thread and that I'm seeking information beyond SFAS, but I searched to no avail besides something about hardship leave.

Thanks

-DE OPPRESSO LIBER-
Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 18:43   #18
Mike792
Quiet Professional

Leave during SFQC

Quote:
Originally Posted by miclo18d View Post
I missed my Grandfather's funeral because I had a SFMS test on the Monday he was to be buried.

I could maybe see it if YOU are marrying your sister but that is frowned upon in Special Forces, FYI.
MICLO18D Thanks for the laugh of the day, and it is only 04:30 in the morning.

Brennus: Stay committed or stay home.

Mike
Mike792 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 18:54   #19
Scimitar
Area Commander

It may be redundant as the OP hasn't signed in since his last post.

But it's likely if he is selected, that the wedding will fall during Orientation or Language phases. Assuming the Q remains the same till then.

I imagine he could get leave for a long weekend during the "classroom phases"....just saying...

S

"A man's reach should exceed his grasp"
-- Robert Browning

"Hooah! Pushing thru the shit til Daisies grow, Sir"
-- Me

"Malo mori quam foedari"
"Death before Dishonour"
-- Family Coat-of-Arms Maxim

"Mārohirohi! Kia Kaha!"
"Be strong! Drive-on!"
-- Māori saying

Last edited by Scimitar; 03-18-2015 at 18:59.
Scimitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 18:55   #20
x SF med
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by miclo18d View Post
I missed my Grandfather's funeral because I had a SFMS test on the Monday he was to be buried.

I could maybe see it if YOU are marrying your sister but that is frowned upon in Special Forces, FYI.

I missed my grandmother's funeral because I was reclassing from Weapons to medic... A Psyop LTC (family friend) ran his HHD on the Mata Mile that day to find me and make sure I knew because my folks could not get through on the CQ phone (pre cell phone). LTC J. actually grabbed the 18D instructor and asked him if I was in the formation.... Hey Sergeant__________, WTF did you do this time? A Fucking Ring Knocking Colonel wants to talk to you, asked for you by name? So, not only did I not go to the funeral, I caught shit for the rest of the course.

Hearing, I forget. Seeing, I remember. Writing (doing), I understand. Chinese Proverb

Too many people are looking for a magic bullet. As always, shot placement is the key. ~TR
x SF med is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 20:39   #21
alelks
Quiet Professional

Let's see. During my first few years in Group. I missed holidays, births, anniversaries, etc. etc. etc.

I came back from one deployment and Harley C Davis walked up to me as I got off the aircraft, handed me a box of cigars and congratulated me on the birth of my daughter who was born 2 days earlier.

By the time my kids were 6 and 4, I had only seen one or two birthdays and one or two Christmas's due to deployments and schools.

Make darn sure your significant other has a good support base she can rely on when you are gone and that she FULLY realizes how much time you will spend away from her and your family. If she has any hesitations you have three options.

1. Go SF and hopefully your marriage can survive.
2. Don't get married and go SF.
3. Don't go SF.

Good Luck!

Last edited by alelks; 03-18-2015 at 20:48.
alelks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 21:13   #22
rbs262
Quiet Professional

Really??? So, you're open to any advice...choose a different MOS!!!
Old 04-26-2015, 06:05   #23
bailaviborita
Quiet Professional

The only holidays for instructors a year or so ago were Christmas and the 4th of July. For the 4th, we trucked the students to Bragg from MacKall on the 3rd so the instructors wouldn't have to be at MacKall (some would have worked that day if students were there...). On the 5th at 0500 the studs were heading back to CMK courtesy of support bn trucks...

No other holidays that I remember. And no leave except for that Christmas break.
Old 04-26-2015, 12:48   #24
head
Quiet Professional

I saw the thread title and thought to myself "Oh yeah... this is going to be good."

I was not disappointed. Thanks guys.
Old 04-26-2015, 12:52   #25
head
Quiet Professional

The President says we only have three years to kill these ISIS fuckers. You better not delay that enlistment. Tell your family to move the wedding to Christmas time when you'll get leave. If they say "no," screw 'em... you gotta be your own man. You'll most likely end up in the Infantry, but there's no shame in that.
Old 04-26-2015, 13:01   #26
Peregrino
Quiet Professional

As for "taking advantage of a long weekend" consider that we just had a CPT succumb from injuries sustained in a hit-and-run accident while visiting friends outside the 200-mile radius from home station - without a pass. The fallout won't matter to him - he's dead. It has the potential to prove catastrophic for his NOK. Not to mention the impact on his bosses and co-workers.
A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear.

~ Marcus Tullius Cicero (42B.C)
Peregrino is offline   Reply With Quote