Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces > 7th Special Forces Group

Old 04-05-2004, 22:39   #1
SF Candidate

nothing to say

Last edited by 1707; 04-22-2010 at 18:26.
1707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 22:49   #2
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

What college do you go to? What are you studying? Your recruiter told you about PS.com?
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 01:30   #3
SF Candidate

school

Thanks for the reply, I am attending the University of Idaho, and am studying history. But I will not be completing my degree. I signed up for the Army in December, and will am going to Fort Benning 1 June. actually my recruitor got this site from another one of his recruits, who is also going for SF. I kept bugging my recruitor for things that I can be doing while here at school, things to better prepare myself for the upcoming events in my life. He showed me this site, also the Army Distance Learning Program, which I also enrolled in. I just finished the SF five week starter workout, and am about to begin the Delta one. Like I i said in my other post, here at school, i have met many people from Latin American, actually from around the world. But meeting all those people from Latin America, and my one of my best friends being from Mexico, I have the opportunity to learn about them and their culture and also the spanish language. I think that is enough for now, maybe too much, o well.

Old 04-06-2004, 02:08   #4
crew341
Asset

May I ask why you are dropping out of school? The Army and SF isn't going anywhere and enlisting is still a completely viable option in a couple years after you finish your degree.

I have thought about quitting school many times to pursue SF, but I realize how difficult it will be to go back to school in 5 or 10 years. Also, having a few more years under your belt will make you a more experienced and matured individual, and thus a better SF candidate. It sounds like you have already made up your mind but it is just something to think about.
Goodluck!

-Andy
Old 04-06-2004, 08:48   #5
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Quitting?
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
Old 04-06-2004, 14:14   #6
SF Candidate

yes quiting

There is really no other way to to put it, so yes i am quiting. I just dont feel right here. I love all the wonderful people I have met and all, but I guess I am kinda burnt out on school. I need somthing different. I'm not joining SF just for something different, SF is something I really want to do. I guess my heart is somewhere else other then school. plus, i have never worked so hard to prepare myself for anything ever, until now. My family is quite impressed actually about my diligence, and enthusiasm.

Old 04-08-2004, 01:32   #7
CRad
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally posted by NousDefionsDoc
Quitting?
He's not quitting. He's delaying the inevitable. The guy can't spell quitting after three years of college and is going to school in Idaho. WTF is he quitting? Nothing. That's what.
Old 04-09-2004, 15:59   #8
SF Candidate

who said three years?

I haven't been in college for three years. Actually, not even one year yet.
Old 04-09-2004, 16:06   #9
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Don't be a fool, stay in school.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
Old 04-10-2004, 07:08   #10
Jack Moroney (RIP)
Quiet Professional

So you think you are burned out in college. I don't know what you think SF is all about but let me assure you that making SF soldiers is not like making corn flakes. Your education just starts in the qualification course and never stops. Your assignments can range anywhere from being a member of a team to being an advisor to a foreign military unit or head of state and you are not going to be able to do that without a good basic education. If you want to get into an organization that is all about killing folks and breaking things then you better look at any number of other organizations in the military and forget about SF. SF does its share of killing and breaking but it also is about finessing others to do that same thing for their own country. SF needs good folks with initiative, but it really needs good folks that have the ability to excercise intelligent initiative. Folks that can operate independently as well as a member of a team. It also means that we need folks that see things through, folks that don't quit at anything. Do yourself a favor and complete your education, not only will you give yourself a better shot at what you want to do in the future but if you fail to get into SF you will not find yourself back a square one all over again.

Für die Sicherheit

Jack Moroney
Jack Moroney (RIP) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2004, 22:30   #11
SF Candidate

I appreciate the feed back and concerns, honestly. But I am not going into SF for killing and breaking things. And my whole purpose for going to college was to try it out. I wanted to see what it was all about, maybe i would like it, maybe not. I found that I am not ready for it. I want something that has a purpose for me, something more active that interests me. I have always been interested in the military. So i has come to no surprise to those who know me, that i joined up. I dont see it as a way out or anything like that, i see it has a next step in my life. And i understand that SF isn't all about killing and breaking things. Yes, they are trained for it, but that doesnt mean that i their sole purpose. And at this point, i can't go back and finish school, I to report to Fort Benning on 2 June of this year. I have tried school out, its just not for me. But that does not mean I am done learning. I have learned alot from the friends and people I have met, here at school, and I plan to continue learning. Further more, I didn't know what type of job i would want after i graduated from college. I dont want a job at some office, I want something, fun, active and hard earned. I am sastified with the choices i have made in my life so far. Thank again for the concerns, I am taking in all you guys say.

Old 05-11-2004, 20:53   #12
RyanRC187
Asset

This being my first post, I'd like to introduce myself for a moment... then try to add something to the thread.

My name is Ryan and I'm a cadet in Florida State University's Army ROTC. I'm a Russian major and am minoring in Military Science. In June I am going to Ft. Knox for Leadership Training Camp because I only recently joined ROTC so that I can catch up with the other MSIIIs.

I've had an interest in the military ever since I was young, first wanting to be a pilot (like everyone else after seeing Top Gun) but later became interested in Special Operation Units.

Anyhow, back to the original topic.

If I was you, I would try to stay in school... I've had the same thoughts as you about quitting school and enlisting under 18X. However, upon realizing that an extra two years of physical conditioning, and recieving my Degree in Russian would only help me achieve my final goal, I was able to put off that feeling that I need to get to my destination as quickly as possible. That being said you seem to have already made up your mind, and I wish you the best of luck...

A friend of mine recently enlisted as an 18X, he goes to Benning for Basic in July. Luckily, you seem much more intent on achieving your goal than he does. I fear he won't pass selection, he isn't taking his physical training very seriously and I'm almost positive he'll end up an Infantryman.

Reviewing my post I guess I didn't add much, but I wanted to introduce myself and let everyone know that I'll be browsing the forum occasionally and will hopefully learn a little from you all.
RyanRC187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 16:05   #13
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

How do I keep missing these? Somebody has put a filter on my "New Posts" button!

Quote:
I'm a cadet in Florida State University's Army ROTC
Quote:
try to add something to the thread.
Quote:
If I was you, I
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
Old 01-18-2005, 10:32   #14
Goggles Pizano
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1707
And my whole purpose for going to college was to try it out. I wanted to see what it was all about, maybe i would like it, maybe not. I found that I am not ready for it. I want something that has a purpose for me, something more active that interests me. I have always been interested in the military. So i has come to no surprise to those who know me, that i joined up.
You lack focus and the drive to excell in life which would be gleaned from experience (ie college, the service, the civillian workforce, etc). If the military is where you choose to "find yourself" do Uncle Sam a favour and complete a tour of duty first in any unit you choose beside Special Forces. With your present mindset I cannot imagine your success with the mental/physical rigors required of SF candidates.

Just .02 from an FOG who is busting his ass to earn the privilege of a shot at selection.

QP's if this response was out of line I apologize.

Last edited by Goggles Pizano; 01-18-2005 at 10:35.
Goggles Pizano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 12:19   #15
Razor
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanRC187
I fear he won't pass selection, he isn't taking his physical training very seriously and I'm almost positive he'll end up an Infantryman.
You say that like it leaves a bad taste in your mouth.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote