Old 03-03-2023, 17:36   #1
2018commo
Quiet Professional

Colonel Paris Davis

“The President of the United States of America, authorized by Act of Congress, March 3, 1863, has awarded in the name of Congress the Medal of Honor to Captain Paris D. Davis, United States Army, for conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his own life above and beyond the call of duty.
“Captain Paris D. Davis, commander, Detachment A-321, Fifth Special Forces Group Airborne, First Special Forces, distinguished himself by acts of gallantry and intrepidity above and beyond the call of duty while serving as an advisor to the 883rd Regional Force Company, Army of the Republic of Vietnam, during combat operations against an armed enemy in the vicinity of Bồng Sơn, Republic of Vietnam, on June 17-18, 1965.
“Captain Davis and three other U.S. Special Forces advisers accompanied the Vietnamese 883rd Regional Force Company on its first combat mission: a daring nighttime raid against a Viet Cong regional headquarters housing a superior enemy force. Captain Davis’ advice and leadership allowed the Company to gain the tactical advantag
e, allowing it to surprise the unsuspecting enemy force, and kill approximately 100 enemy soldiers.

“While returning from the successful raid, the Regional Force Company was ambushed and sustained several casualties. Captain Davis consistently exposed himself to the hostile small arms fire to rally the inexperienced and disorganized Company. He expertly directed both artillery and small arms fire, enabling other elements of his company to reach his position. Although wounded in the leg, he aided in the evacuation of other wounded men in his unit, but refused medical evacuation himself.

“Following the arrival of air support, Captain Davis directed artillery fire within 30 meters of his own position in an attempt to halt the enemy’s advance. Then, with complete disregard for his own life, he braved intense enemy fire to cross an open field to rescue his seriously-wounded and immobilized team sergeant. While carrying the sergeant up a hill to a position of relative safety, Captain Davis was again wounded by enemy fire. Despite two painful wounds, Captain Davis again refused medical evacuation, remained with the troops, fought bravely, and provided pivotal leadership and inspiration to the Regional Force Company as it repelled several Viet Cong assaults on their position over a period of several hours.

“When friendly reinforcements finally arrived, Captain Davis again refused medical evacuation until he had recovered a U.S. adviser under his command who had been wounded during the initial ambush and presumed dead. While personally recovering the wounded soldier, he found him severely wounded but still clinging to life. Captain Davis directed the helicopter extraction of his wounded colleague, not leaving the battlefield himself until after all friendly forces were recovered or medically evacuated.

Captain Davis’ heroism and selflessness above and beyond the call of duty at the risk of his own life are in keeping with the highest traditions of military service and reflect great credit upon himself, his unit, and the United States Army.”

Jump Street Never Ends

“There is a road, no simple highway, between the dawn and the dark of night, and if you go, no one may follow, that path is for your steps alone”

"Draw unto others as they have been drawn to you"
2018commo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2023, 06:13   #2
milkman
Auxiliary

Congratulations on the award of the Medal of Honor, so long overdue.
milkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2023, 08:54   #3
SF_BHT
Quiet Professional

A longtime coming and well deserved.
Congrats
SF_BHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2023, 12:16   #4
PRB
Quiet Professional

Billy Waugh likes him
PRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2023, 16:46   #5
UWOA (RIP)
Quiet Professional

Location: You can't get here from there; you have to go someplace else first.
I salute you, sir!

A long overdue award to one who is most deserving of the award, much like my former Team Sergeant, Jose Rodela, who like Col Davis was overlooked for many years because of racial discrimination. Hopefully, we can move past such incidents and take care to exercise fair and impartial reviews of heroism by our people.

Again, I salute you, sir!!

Don't know where I'm goin', but there's no use in bein' late.
I've never been lost. I've been a mite confused at times, but never lost.
I'm not lost! I know where I am; I just don't know where everybody else is.
UWOA (RIP) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 04:48   #6
Badger52
Area Commander

2018commo, thanks for putting this in its proper forum area.

And again, congratulations to COL Davis for the long-overdue recognition.
Hand salute!

The coin paid to enforce words on parchment is blood; tyrants will not be stopped with anything less dear. - QP Peregrino
Badger52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 06:23   #7
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Congratulations to COL Davis
Overdue, DOL Brother

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 21:48   #8
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Congratulations, Sir.

Thank you for your service, and your sacrifice.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2023, 08:34   #9
bblhead672
Area Commander

Well deserved and thank you Col. Davis.
“Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.”

--Thomas Jefferson
bblhead672 is offline   Reply With Quote