Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Area Studies > Middle East

Old 09-11-2012, 19:51   #16
SF_BHT
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dozer523 View Post
i suspect the USMC Guard force recommended machine-guns but you know ...

The Cairo Embassy is a pretty interesting place. It's almost two compounds in one. The north part (which is really close to the square that featured so much in the Arab Spring) is like a castle. It's the modern side. It's pretty high, no windows, access is via a tunnel. If they scaled that Hillary and Norgay would be impressed. The south side is Nineteenth Century. Ten foot ordamental iron fence, shrubs. Then a courtyard and this beautiful marble building. Most of the business conducted there is with and for the Egyptians.
Yeah, it is sovereign US territory and it is our Flag (whoever is chanting "USA USA USA" stop right now!) this was an attack by a mob and there is no proof it was sponsored by the Egyptian government. Were not planning on leaving so we have to live with our response. Err on the side caution? Remember no US casualties.
Remember the scene in The Green Berets where the Duke takes back the A Camp and he cut down the VC flag with such total contempt? I hope we did that.
Remember the movie with Denzel Washington and we send a rescue mission and our guys take fire and everyone sort of has a "mad-minute" (help me out what was the name of that movie?). Anyway, my point is that's sort of the choice you have.
Dozer

If you think that the Muslim brotherhood was not involved we need to come over and pull our head out of the sand. If they are involved then he Gov was involved. Right now they are the same.
SF_BHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 20:00   #17
cbtengr
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dog New Trick View Post
Nope, I feel we've done our best in those places and can close shop for now. Anyone needing a VISA or other diplomatic affairs can use the Internet.
I share your sentiments, these people need us a lot worse than we need them.
Old 09-11-2012, 21:24   #18
TacOfficer
Guerrilla

The United States cannot afford to turn a blind eye to these "events" occurring at our embassies. It sends the message that it's acceptable, "the children were just playing, they didn't really mean to offend you by invading your sovereign ground and tearing your flag to shreds". Also, it invites further, if not escalated attacks. Don't misunderstand me, I'm not suggesting we mow the embassy lawn with the .50 cal. I do suggest that diplomatic repercussions, such as withholding funds, exist for such behavior. It's is the responsibility of the host country to provide security for foreign diplomatic missions. The current Egyptian regime allowed this to happen. They should be held publicly and financially accountable for the actions of their citizens.

As for the Libyan US consulate death of an official, I believe a death sentence is in order for those responsible. Feel free to choose your method, local (hanging) or imported (Hellfire missile).

Last edited by TacOfficer; 09-11-2012 at 21:26.
TacOfficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 22:40   #19
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacOfficer View Post
The United States cannot afford to turn a blind eye to these "events" occurring at our embassies. It sends the message that it's acceptable, "the children were just playing, they didn't really mean to offend you by invading your sovereign ground and tearing your flag to shreds". Also, it invites further, if not escalated attacks. Don't misunderstand me, I'm not suggesting we mow the embassy lawn with the .50 cal. I do suggest that diplomatic repercussions, such as withholding funds, exist for such behavior. It's is the responsibility of the host country to provide security for foreign diplomatic missions. The current Egyptian regime allowed this to happen. They should be held publicly and financially accountable for the actions of their citizens.

As for the Libyan US consulate death of an official, I believe a death sentence is in order for those responsible. Feel free to choose your method, local (hanging) or imported (Hellfire missile).
Funny I thought the United States sent that message about 30 years ago when jimmy carter allowed the iranians to hold our embassy for 444 days.......... shite that was peaceful muslims also!
Old 09-11-2012, 22:51   #20
tom kelly
Quiet Professional

Moos Lem Brotherhood ????

The present U S Administration will DO NOTHING but offer lip service about the incidents in the Middle East. TK
Old 09-11-2012, 23:08   #21
Dozer523
BANNED USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF_BHT View Post
Dozer
If you think that the Muslim brotherhood was not involved we need to come over and pull our head out of the sand. If they are involved then he Gov was involved. Right now they are the same.
Muslim Brotherhood involved? Probably -- almost assuredly -- considering right now the MB is so ascendant that they must see themselvese moving into the Exploitation Phase. But, (So) on the world (Arab) stage we have to be able to prove it before we act. If our actions result in the martyrdom of legitimate protestors who didn't harm anything but Western territorial/colonial feeling (Can you hear that with a strident Arabic accent?) How do we then deflect charges we supported and want the return of Mubarak? There is a reason the language of choice for diplomace used to be French -- they invented perfume
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom kelly View Post
The present U S Administration will DO NOTHING but offer lip service about the incidents in the Middle East. TK
The Obama administration is disavowing a statement from its own Cairo embassy that seemed to apologize for anti-Muslim activity in the United States.

"The statement by Embassy Cairo was not cleared by Washington and does not reflect the views of the United States government,"
an administration official told POLITICO.

http://www.politico.com/politico44/2...gy-135247.html

Last edited by Dozer523; 09-12-2012 at 11:00.
Dozer523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 05:21   #22
MtnGoat
Quiet Professional

U.S. ambassador killed in attack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
Libya militias storm US consulate over 'insulting' film

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-19562692

"Militiamen in Libya have stormed the US consulate in Benghazi, the country's second largest city.

Reports say they were protesting against a US-made film that is allegedly insulting to the Prophet Muhammad, and set fire to the building.

The building is said to have burnt down. It is thought nobody was in the consulate at the time. ............................"

Busy little beavers.
The U.S. ambassador to Libya and three American members of his staff were killed in an attack on the U.S. consulate in the eastern city of Benghazi by protesters angry over a film that ridiculed Islam's Prophet Muhammad, Libyan officials said Wednesday.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/s...ack/57752828/1

TR hit on the head.. the Arab Spring apprised as lead to more freedoms and this is the results.

History teaches that when you become indifferent and lose the will to fight someone who has the will to fight will take over."

COLONEL BULL SIMONS

Intelligence failures are failures of command [just] as operations failures are command failures.”

Last edited by MtnGoat; 09-12-2012 at 05:24.
MtnGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 06:18   #23
Pete
Quiet Professional

US Embassy in Algiers warns of protests

US Embassy in Algiers warns of protests

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...09-12-07-23-29

"ALGIERS, Algeria (AP) -- The U.S. Embassy in Algiers is warning Americans in the country to avoid non-essential travel amid calls for protests after an attack on a U.S. consulate in Libya.

The embassy said in an emergency message to U.S. citizens that unspecified groups are using online social networks to organize demonstrations in front of the embassy Wednesday "to protest a range of issues".........................."

Don't sound too "spontaneous" to me......

Just wait till Friday.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 06:54   #24
Stras
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom kelly View Post
Apparently not even that, as it was a written statement from the White House that was released...

De Oppresso Liber
Stras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:13   #25
echoes
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stras View Post
Apparently not even that, as it was a written statement from the White House that was released...
Agree Sir.

Is this not an Act of War?

Where in the statement is the condemnation for this TERRORIST act upon America? Must have missed that part...

Holly
echoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:40   #26
afchic
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by echoes View Post
"Anyway, my point is that's sort of the choice you have"

That is just so sad to me...as just a simple American.

Accept defeat then???

Holly
Where you got that from Dozer's post is completely beyond me. When you have experience working in the geo-political arena maybe you can make such outlandish comments. Maybe with your vast experience you would like to tell us what you would have done, had you been Ambassador for a day yesterday.

As someone who has 4 very good friends working in that embassy right now, I am pretty happy that a firefight didn't break out.

It is called diplomacy for a reason. We may not always like the outcome,but I can pretty much guarantee the Ambassador decided that a pisssing match with these folks yesterday was not in the best interest of his staff tactically speaking and the US strategically speaking. Today is another day and given the past 24 hours events I am sure there are some pretty high level discussions within our government on what the next move it. Geo-political relationships are games of chess not waterballon fights.
afchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 10:17   #27
Paslode
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by afchic View Post
Today is another day and given the past 24 hours events I am sure there are some pretty high level discussions within our government on what the next move it. Geo-political relationships are games of chess not waterballon fights.
More support for the arab rebels. Possibly limit free speech, more hate speak laws and crucifiction of Rev. Terry Jones
Old 09-12-2012, 10:32   #28
afchic
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paslode View Post
More support for the arab rebels. Possibly limit free speech, more hate speak laws and crucifiction of Rev. Terry Jones
Not going to happen. There are still too many sheepdogs roaming around
afchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 10:59   #29
Paslode
Area Commander

*Double Post*

Last edited by Paslode; 09-12-2012 at 12:28. Reason: Double post
Paslode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 11:42   #30
BKKMAN
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dozer523 View Post
...Remember the movie with Denzel Washington and we send a rescue mission and our guys take fire and everyone sort of has a "mad-minute" (help me out what was the name of that movie?). Anyway, my point is that's sort of the choice you have.
Not Denzel Washington...it was Samuel L. Jackson in Rules of Engagement

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0160797/

It is not inequality which is the real misfortune, it is dependence. Voltaire
BKKMAN is offline   Reply With Quote