Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Area Studies > Middle East

Old 02-21-2011, 13:59   #46
lindy
Guerrilla Chief

The periods in the acronym...what's the hidden message there? CIA = U.N.C.L.E. ????

Since he's a contractor, I'm not sure he's afforded the same protection as a regular staff officer such as Valerie Plame. Interesting dilemma nevertheless. 3 weeks in an ISI "detention facility", damn. Hang tough Ray!

"There are times in your life you'll be required to perform an exceedingly difficult task to the best of your ability, regardless of your perceived capability. Mental toughness is what will carry the day during these times. In other words, you suck it up and do what you have to do." - Razor
lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 14:00   #47
greenberetTFS
Quiet Professional (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
I wonder who "outed" him as a CIA agent?

Seems the last time this happened the MSM went onto a nut roll trying to find out who did it.
This is another good reason why you can't trust people who have access to this type of privy information......... It's always dangerous if your in covert operations that someone in our "own" government would sell you out for various reasons...

Big Teddy
I believe that SF is a 'calling' - not too different from the calling missionaries I know received. I knew instantly that it was for me, and that I would do all I could to achieve it. Most others I know in SF experienced something similar. If, as you say, you HAVE searched and read, and you do not KNOW if this is the path for you --- it is not....
Zonie Diver

SF is a calling and it requires commitment and dedication that the uninitiated will never understand......
Jack Moroney

SFA M-2527, Chapter XXXVII

Last edited by greenberetTFS; 02-22-2011 at 16:40.
greenberetTFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 14:07   #48
Sohei
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenberetTFS View Post
This is another good reason why you can't trust people who have access to this type of privy information......... It's always dangerous if your in covert operations that someone in our "own" government would sell you out for various reasons............

Big Teddy
Big Teddy,

There has always been "Murphy's Laws" and the fact that he is guaranteed to show up when not needed. However, these days, there is another evil twin of his that is utilized. It is referred to as the "Kicked Under The Bus" Syndrome. It has been used a lot lately.
Sohei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 15:44   #49
Blue
Guerrilla

They're good at outing themselves without any help. Just like Ms. Plame.
Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 15:57   #50
lindy
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue View Post
They're good at outing themselves without any help. Just like Ms. Plame.
Huh?

"There are times in your life you'll be required to perform an exceedingly difficult task to the best of your ability, regardless of your perceived capability. Mental toughness is what will carry the day during these times. In other words, you suck it up and do what you have to do." - Razor
Old 02-21-2011, 16:26   #51
Pete
Quiet Professional

Don't take the new movie as truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindy View Post
Huh?
Don't take the new movie as truth.

The neighbors knew she worked for the CIA. But that didn't fit the template of "Bad Bush" and the press quickly moved on to what version they wanted to show as the truth.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 16:45   #52
Sacamuelas
JAWBREAKER

Pete-
I think Lindy was responding to the post as if written to mean that ALL CIA personnel were "good at outing themselves". Just a hunch. I don't think many on this site take ms plame's side of the issue in her particular circumstances. course' I could be wrong.
Sacamuelas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 12:14   #53
bubblehead
Asset

Interesting read on the subject over here:

http://www.counterpunch.org/lindorff02082011.html

Wikipedia also has some lengthy, sourced material:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raymond_Allen_Davis

Last edited by bubblehead; 02-22-2011 at 12:33.
bubblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 12:55   #54
Blue
Guerrilla

There was no "all" in my post, implied or otherwise.

But it isn't exactly rare that they have had to be reminded that the way they conduct themselves (examples of which I am not going to post on an open forum) lends itself to self-outing. When every other official American is doing one thing, and you're supposed to be one of them but doing something completely different, well....it's not rocket science.
Old 02-22-2011, 13:42   #55
Richard
Quiet Professional

Quote:
When every other official American is doing one thing, and you're supposed to be one of them but doing something completely different, well....it's not rocket science.
That opinion indicates a decided lack of experience with embassy staffing and activities.

Richard
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 13:46   #56
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Please keep this thread unclassified.

No one needs to be getting into specifics of DoS and intelligence functions.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 15:50   #57
Blue
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
That opinion indicates a decided lack of experience with embassy staffing and activities.

Richard

Hahahaha...hahahaha. That's funny LOL.
Old 02-22-2011, 16:23   #58
lindy
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
I'm pretty sure this is NOT what is meant by "Always Out Front".

Old 02-22-2011, 16:38   #59
Richard
Quiet Professional

Quote:
PM sent.

Richard
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 01:11   #60
oksooner
Asset

We talked about this in my class today, my professor is pretty sure the guy is CIA, and had some good theories about it.

Prayers go out to the man regardless, hopefully everything ends well.
By the deep sea, and music in its roar:
I love not man the less, but Nature more.....

"The true science of martial arts means practicing them in such a way that they will be useful at any time, and to teach them in such a way that they will be useful in all things." Miyamoto Musashi
oksooner is offline   Reply With Quote