Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Area Studies > Middle East

Old 06-22-2010, 20:29   #31
Penn
Area Commander

Quote:
Sen. John F. Kerry (D-Mass.), chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, said in a statement that "it would be a grave mistake" to allow the controversy over the article to distract attention from the war effort. "Now is not the time for Washington to be sidetracked by chatter," Kerry said. "Everyone needs to take a deep breath."
Kerry as peace maker; You now are 100% assured that the General stays, and the WH redirect the possible failure on to the General/Military, thereby, clearing the path to the 2012 elections with a story that allows"The O" to side step responsibility. The prize isn't Afghanistan, its being reelected and having the ability to create policy.

Last edited by Penn; 06-22-2010 at 20:45.
Penn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 20:41   #32
head
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadsword2004 View Post
So could Biden have had the right plan all along, or is that just the author's opinion...?
You can sense that it is the author's opinion.

From what I recall, VP Biden's plan was to have his cake and eat it too - he wanted to start decreasing troop levels in A-stan and abandon COIN/FID, but still support the war by increasing the use of drones and CT assets. IMO, this would've just turned into a bigger game of "Whack-a-mole" worse than what we are already doing.

As for the author's opinion, his opinion on counterinsurgency strategies means as much to me as Britney Spear's opinion on alternative fuel sources.
Old 06-23-2010, 00:01   #33
SF18C
Quiet Professional

I worked for Stanley and his professionalism, patriotism and selfless –service are beyond reproach!

Hmmmm… how to say this, I think Stan KNEW/KNOWS exactly what he was doing all along! Stan is very astute to reporters, the press, and the scuttlebutt. His SA is Jedi-like! I think this is a one man exit strategy from a no-win situation combined with red star clusters over the problem area!

But whadda I know???
"De Oppresso Liber"

Nomination for PS.com Quote of the Decade!
SF18C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 00:38   #34
akv
Area Commander

Brer Rabbit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF18C
I worked for Stanley and his professionalism, patriotism and selfless –service are beyond reproach! Hmmmm… how to say this, I think Stan KNEW/KNOWS exactly what he was doing all along! Stan is very astute to reporters, the press, and the scuttlebutt. His SA is Jedi-like! I think this is a one man exit strategy from a no-win situation combined with red star clusters over the problem area!
This makes sense. McChrystal's writings seem to indicate a shrewd, disciplined, and calculating mind. I think the choice of Rolling Stone is actually a deliberate shot at Obama's " Rock Star" image. IMHO, the General decided he wasn't going to get the support or the time he needed from this administration, he knows his adversary is a patholgical Narcissist and will bite. ( In contrast to Obama's tizzy, imagine if the POTUS instead of taking the bait, showed some real leadership and just said, " ahh it's a tough war, My man Stan is just blowing off some steam")

Instead, McCrystal has decided to go out with a bang to catch the attention of the American people, and pin the outcome of this war to this administration, He knows there will be a media frenzy, this was an ambush. Obama will look like a loser any way you cut it. He put McChrystal in charge, he can't control him, what a loser, or if they reconcile, then he looks even weaker. At the end of the day maybe this ludicrous pledge to leave by 2011 is addressed.

So maybe I need a pointy tinfoil cap, but I think the General decided to fall on his sword, is trying to setup better ROE for his replacement, and is trying to cost Obama a second term on the way out.
"Men Wanted: for Hazardous Journey. Small wages, bitter cold, long months of complete darkness, constant danger, safe return doubtful. Honour and recognition in case of success.” -Sir Ernest Shackleton

“A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in.” –Greek proverb
akv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 06:49   #35
Dozer523
BANNED USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by akv View Post
This makes sense. To gain that much spin the rotation of the universe will have to be reversed.
So maybe I need a pointy tinfoil cap . . . Most definitely.
No one is that Machiavellian. This is the same General who kicked ass and took names in the Green Bean coffee shop (how Patton-esque)
Run off at the mouth general and his Imperial staff. (MacAurthur-esque).
I can barely wait for his "Old Soldiers Never Die . . .
Dozer523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 06:53   #36
JAGO
"The Quiet Counsel"

I would like to think Stan planned all of this, but I doubt it. My two cents:

Over the years the PAOs have always come up with media plans that usually ended up with bad results (think Jessica Lynch, Pat Tillman, and all the other times you would have hoped the reporter is objective, but they get their jabs in anyway).

Newsweek reported RS (their old reporter) approached Stan's "people" (read PAO) and somehow got in. For the life of me, back in the old days nobody in a command position would trust letting RS or any other similar "journalist" into the circle and even object to having them rammed down the command's throat. My be is, that with the current admin, RS enjoys more of "mainstream" status amongst "journalists". At times I remember, DoD or DA would jam a major ("credible") news source down our throats - but every time bad things happend in one sense or another (typically OPSEC violations - TTP or C2 relationships) and stuff got into the public domain that we couldn't counter or comment upon, because that would only highlight the info.

RS had reservations about the war and hoped to validate those. I am sure that was their intent going in....

RS got in, in Paris. The staff was drinking and they "mentioned" stuff they shouldn't. A big mistake. When it was time to leave Paris, RS was stranded by the volcano eruption and my bet is that the PAO allowed RS to continue to trail. Big mistake. Soon, staff started to overlook RS in the AO (big mistake) RS was able to approach staff during down time and brought up "what you said back in Paris" and develop add'n details. Staff should have refused further comment.

My guess is RS got a couple of 15-30 minute interviews with Stan and a couple of candid comments (that were nevertheless still respectfull to the NCA and POTUS).

The reporter then was able to "weave" the staff comments a(ttributed by staff to Stan) along with those remarks he acutally made, into a typical piece critical of the war effort. The staff comments "sexed up" the article and even though RS is left leaning - they still are after big $. The reporter got them that.

Sadly this has happened before - and is all too typical of how we shoot ourselves in the foot.

Bottom line: Never trust a commie, never trust an ex-wife, and never, ever trust the press.

Again, I hope I am wrong. If this is not a cluster f... but rather part of a grander plan, I will be really happy. Stan is a good man.
v/r
phil
JAGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 07:23   #37
akv
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dozer523
No one is that Machiavellian.
Fair point, history shows IKE and Truman made the right calls in Sicily and Korea respectively, I guess we will see how Obama is judged in time.
"Men Wanted: for Hazardous Journey. Small wages, bitter cold, long months of complete darkness, constant danger, safe return doubtful. Honour and recognition in case of success.” -Sir Ernest Shackleton

“A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in.” –Greek proverb
akv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 07:32   #38
craigepo
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF18C View Post
I worked for Stanley and his professionalism, patriotism and selfless –service are beyond reproach!

Hmmmm… how to say this, I think Stan KNEW/KNOWS exactly what he was doing all along! Stan is very astute to reporters, the press, and the scuttlebutt. His SA is Jedi-like! I think this is a one man exit strategy from a no-win situation combined with red star clusters over the problem area!

But whadda I know???
It would be a helluva way to kick off a political campaign.

"One man with courage makes a majority." Andrew Jackson

"Well Mr. Carpetbagger. We got something in this territory called the Missouri boat ride."
Josey Wales
craigepo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 08:18   #39
Defender968
SF Candidate

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigepo View Post
That thought crossed my mind as well, if he gets relieved and retires, he'd be in a unique position to call into question the presidents leadership in a time of war....and that's a very powerful base to build a campaign....not saying that's what's happening, but given Obama only spoke with General McChrystal once in the first 70 days he was in office and then took over 2 months to approve his own chosen general's request for additional troops.. those two facts coupled with the quotes about the president appearing "unprepared", and also seemed "intimidated" by military brass....could be very shrewd and calculated IPB....or it could be just a hell of a lot of coincidences...either way the damage has been done to this administration, and as others have said time will tell why.
Defender968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 08:41   #40
Dozer523
BANNED USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defender968 View Post
That thought crossed my mind as well, if he gets relieved and retires, he'd be in a unique position to call into question the presidents leadership in a time of war....and that's a very powerful base to build a campaign....
There's an idea not unique to America.
An American General disagrees with the civilian leadership, takes it public, gets canned or quits in a huff, finds political backers and thinks he has traction to set things right, runs for office and wins.
When has that ever happened?
Dozer523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 09:48   #41
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
I like the way you think.....

Stan for Prez.....

Sounds good.
Old 06-23-2010, 09:50   #42
olhamada
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Sergeant View Post

Stan for Prez.....

Sounds good.
I agree. The GOP certainly needs a good candidate.

But one question bugs me - according to RS, the good GEN voted for Obama? What the heck?
"And dying in your beds many years from now, would you be willing to trade all the days from this day to that for one chance, just one chance to come back here and tell our enemies that they may take our lives, but they'll never take our freedom?"- Braveheart

de Oppresso Liber
olhamada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 10:13   #43
greenberetTFS
Quiet Professional (RIP)

Quote:

Agreed,this just maybe what he's planning................

Big Teddy
I believe that SF is a 'calling' - not too different from the calling missionaries I know received. I knew instantly that it was for me, and that I would do all I could to achieve it. Most others I know in SF experienced something similar. If, as you say, you HAVE searched and read, and you do not KNOW if this is the path for you --- it is not....
Zonie Diver

SF is a calling and it requires commitment and dedication that the uninitiated will never understand......
Jack Moroney

SFA M-2527, Chapter XXXVII
greenberetTFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 10:24   #44
Richard
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Didn't work too well for Wes Clark.

Richard's $.02
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 10:37   #45
Green Light
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Sergeant View Post

Stan for Prez.....

Sounds good.
Not for me. I remember the last time someone formerly from JSOC worked in the WH. Remember Linda Tripp?

Something here went horribly wrong. I agree that it probably started with the PAO. Their job is to screen and protect the boss while getting the correct message out. Having a reporter around too long, too much is just asking for something to be said/done in an unguarded moment. Even O-10s get pissed and blow off steam. His inner circle should all be trusted agents. The quotes I read seemed to be coming from staff officers who were talking second hand. Ever seen a staff guy with an ego that needed to be stroked? Yeah.

These guys failed the boss IMO. He's going to have to fall on his sword - you can't be quoted in public not agreeing with the civilian side. That's why Honduras has golpes de estados and we don't The civilian heads of the military make the policy and we salute.

It's too bad. I thought he had a better than even chance of pulling off a win in A-stan, though not a WW2-style total victory.

"If it neither breaks my leg nor picks my pocket, what difference does it make to me?"
TJ

Last edited by Green Light; 06-23-2010 at 11:00.
Green Light is offline   Reply With Quote