Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Area Studies > Middle East

Old 03-25-2010, 14:17   #16
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigaba View Post
There is another option—containment.
Yes, but that is not unilaterally.

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 14:20   #17
blue902
Asset

Since the 40's the US has "donated" most of its foreign aid to countries in our war interest regions. Europe in the 40's, then SE Asia from the 50-70's, now the ME since the 80's get the vast majority of our "foreign aid" dollars.

And it's not the biggest expenditure we have, usually less than 1% of the federal budget. But it buys us people and loyalty and information and cooperation, in addition to all the other efforts to secure the same things.

That's what I was referring to-- We can feed Egypt and the Saudis and the Pakistanis and at the same time show them "this is what happens when you really join the other side and work against us, please see the New Iraq and A-stan for examples".
blue902 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 14:24   #18
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue902 View Post
Since the 40's the US has "donated" most of its foreign aid to countries in our war interest regions. Europe in the 40's, then SE Asia from the 50-70's, now the ME since the 80's get the vast majority of our "foreign aid" dollars.

And it's not the biggest expenditure we have, usually less than 1% of the federal budget. But it buys us people and loyalty and information and cooperation, in addition to all the other efforts to secure the same things.

That's what I was referring to-- We can feed Egypt and the Saudis and the Pakistanis and at the same time show them "this is what happens when you really join the other side and work against us, please see the New Iraq and A-stan for examples".

You do realize that the vast majority of foreign aid goes to two nations in the Middle East. They are already being paid off not to fight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigaba View Post
There is another option—containment.
How do you do that with the huge number of expatriate Muslims living outside the area of the problem?

We cannot even keep the worst locked up in Gitmo.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 14:31   #19
akv
Area Commander

The manipulation of the scientific process to reach a predetermined conclusion is obviously ripe for nefarious means which history has shown extend beyond agricultural methods. In this instance questioning the efficacy and bias of the Gallup polls implies these moderate Islamic attitudes may not be accurate, so perhaps as you suggested the Canadians or whomever might represent a neutral observer, labeling such a study as an instance of lysenkoism, may very well result in a positive, inspiring a more unbiased accurate study, or just as easily brush off valid observations and walk far enough down the path into the camp of folks who simply believe the nature of Islam is evil, static, and incorrigible, and as you would with a rabid dog, there is only one solution. At the point what's the utility of anything less extreme such as feeding with one hand smashing with the other etc?

At that point history has shown the stronger tribe eliminates the weaker, just as one would with a tumor, or a rabid dog, there is no evolution, compromise, or negotiation at that point. I actually agree with you, Radical Islam has glaring weaknesses which we can exploit without mass bloodshsed. But what about our own bias?
"Men Wanted: for Hazardous Journey. Small wages, bitter cold, long months of complete darkness, constant danger, safe return doubtful. Honour and recognition in case of success.” -Sir Ernest Shackleton

“A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in.” –Greek proverb
akv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 14:49   #20
blue902
Asset

Quote:
You do realize that the vast majority of foreign aid goes to two nations in the Middle East. They are already being paid off not to fight.
I do, and also that others are getting paid to chase terrorists and leave Israel alone.
Every little bit of aid goes a long way though, even if the proportionate numbers are all pointed at Cairo and Jerusalem being the main recipients.

Quote:
Entire post by akv
I'm not sure what we agreed on.. But I don't agree with the last sentence or understand what you're on about with the first two, except that you maybe are trying to get across that we should not be prejudiced against Muslims conducting a poll and interpreting the results questionably.
Old 03-25-2010, 15:02   #21
Sigaba
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post
How do you do that with the huge number of expatriate Muslims living outside the area of the problem?
IMO, the problem area is not just defined as geographic locations. The areas of conflict include intrapsychic spaces and interpersonal matrices.

The power of culture has been thus far an underutilized resource.
Sigaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 15:41   #22
blue902
Asset

Quote:
IMO, the problem area is not just defined as geographic locations. The areas of conflict include intrapsychic spaces and interpersonal matrices.

The power of culture has been thus far an underutilized resource.
The harb al dawa has to have some handle/control. It would be an interesting idea if the US made a puppet and brought him in line, to make favorable proclamations.
We're always hearing about how gullible our sheep are and how their radicalism is such a small minority- if those are true, then why not their sheep presenting a broad spectrum of controllable population?

It seems strange that there isn't a strong pro-US voice anywhere in the muslim world, if the above stipulations were true.
Old 03-25-2010, 18:14   #23
Richard
Quiet Professional

Quote:
The harb al dawa has to have some handle/control. It would be an interesting idea if the US made a puppet and brought him in line, to make favorable proclamations.
We're always hearing about how gullible our sheep are and how their radicalism is such a small minority- if those are true, then why not their sheep presenting a broad spectrum of controllable population?

It seems strange that there isn't a strong pro-US voice anywhere in the muslim world, if the above stipulations were true.
Perhaps you should try using the SEARCH function before posting - you might be surprised at the answers you will find already posted here in answer to your own musings.

Richard
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 18:37   #24
robert2854
Asset

Gallup Muslim Survey

I went to the website and at the end in the SEARCH space I typed in Chrisian Love-No matches found. So I quess they will kill us(at least try) RATHER BGE TRIED BY TWELVE THAN CARRIED BY SIX
robert2854 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 18:54   #25
akv
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue902

US sheep have a bill of rights, a vote, and a quality of life the 3rd world envies.

Our "friends" in the Middle East are selected by strategic importance to US interests not the basis of their virtue. Saudi Arabia is a monarchy, Pakistan is a military dictatorship, neither is super stable, Egypt is a republic and secular, but volatile. Sheep in these areas are likely wise to keep a low profile.

Albania and Turkey are both supportive NATO allies, and though secular, predominantly Muslim. ( though the Turks are currently miffed about the Armenian thing).
"Men Wanted: for Hazardous Journey. Small wages, bitter cold, long months of complete darkness, constant danger, safe return doubtful. Honour and recognition in case of success.” -Sir Ernest Shackleton

“A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in.” –Greek proverb
akv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 23:01   #26
blue902
Asset

Quote:
Perhaps you should try using the SEARCH function before posting - you might be surprised at the answers you will find already posted here in answer to your own musings.
Always a good point. My findings were that there have been a lot of differing views on what's up over there and with the Muslims over here.

I never personally ran into any finding that there is a pro US Muslim in power that can affect the residents of the Dawa; least of all the putative leaders put in place in Iraq/A-stan. They have a tough time so far staying in the driver's seats at all.

(Sir) Richard,
Do you really think that those interpretations of those questions are unbiased or set to change ideas? If the latter, is there some objective point that tells you the motive for manipulation is in the reader's interest to take it all to the bank?

I didn't say the writers were extremists; I said they were Muslims, and that raises a reasonable objection to the bias/lack thereof in the readings. If you prefer to believe what you read, that's yours.

If I were in their position and I were going to try continue to soften American leftist opinion on Islam, by appealing to their taste for intellectual, educational arguments, I wouldn't change a thing.
Old 03-26-2010, 07:10   #27
Richard
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Do you really think that those interpretations of those questions are unbiased or set to change ideas? If the latter, is there some objective point that tells you the motive for manipulation is in the reader's interest to take it all to the bank?

I didn't say the writers were extremists; I said they were Muslims, and that raises a reasonable objection to the bias/lack thereof in the readings. If you prefer to believe what you read, that's yours.
My position on 'opinion' polls is consistent and can be found throughout these forums.

I posted the original to this thread for information purposes only as some of the findings were interesting - I did not infer whether they were biased or not, that began with the first post in response and was followed in quick succession by one opinion after another - certainly no bias in that.

Q: How does one conduct a valid poll of a Muslim dominant region (where there are also non-muslims or many variants of Muslims) without including Muslims (or others with Muslim-like names) as members of your polling team? To not include them exhibits an overt bias in its own right. (This principle applies to all regions of the world.)

Q: In the world of polling and polls, GALLUP is considered to be the 'gold standard' for such activities - would that established reputation not reasonably challenge (lessen) the perceptions raised here of overt bias? And if not, why?

There is much information readily available and influencing opinions in the world today, and polls such as this just might be of interest and value to some.

However - YMMV - and so it goes...

Richard's $.02
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Old 03-26-2010, 07:35   #28
SF-TX
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post

I posted the original to this thread for information purposes only as some of the findings were interesting - I did not infer whether they were biased or not, that began with the first post in response and was followed in quick succession by one opinion after another - certainly no bias in that.
So, we should ignore the source of the information because the findings are interesting?

I hold it as a principle that the duration of peace is in direct proportion to the slaughter you inflict on the enemy. –Gen. Mikhail Skobelev
SF-TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 07:52   #29
Richard
Quiet Professional

Quote:
So, we should ignore the source of the information because the findings are interesting?
No - and I neither said nor inferred doing such a thing.

My point was that in alluding to bias in others, perhaps we should also look to recognizing and weighing our own biases in the equation, too.

However - YMMV - and so it goes...

Richard

Old 03-26-2010, 10:13   #30
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
Q: In the world of polling and polls, GALLUP is considered to be the 'gold standard' for such activities - would that established reputation not reasonably challenge (lessen) the perceptions raised here of overt bias? And if not, why?
I would say that there is a big difference between brand recognition and performance.

Rassmussen has proven to be much more reliable over the past few years.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote