Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Area Studies > Middle East

Old 12-04-2009, 17:17   #16
Dozer523
BANNED USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonieDiver View Post
Dozer! What a nice guy! If I Fed-Ex all the essays my students wrote yesterday, could you get them graded and back to me by Monday at 10 a.m.? I have a busy weekend planned! Thanks in advance...
Piece a cake.
Dozer523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 17:52   #17
ZonieDiver
Quiet Professional

Essay advice requested. This is the response I got from a Junior student to this essay question on a district-provided CRT test -

Background:
You are a teacher and must explain to your students the meaing of Manifest Destiny and how different territories of the nation were acquired from 1803 to 1853.
Purpose:
You will choose three of the following acquisitions to expain Manifest Destiny (be sure to explain how the territory was acquired): the Louisiana Purchase (1803), Texas (1845), Oregon (1846), California and the Mexican Cession (1848), the Gadsden Purchase (1853).
Writer's Role:
You are writing your lesson so that you can explain Manifest Destiny to your students and how territory was acquired from 1803-1853.
Audience:
Your students.
Form:
You are writing lesson notes in the form of a five paragraph essay.
FCA's:
1. Clear position statement (2 points)
2. Define Manifest Destiny (2 points)
3. Explain how three of the territories were acquired (6 points)

NOTE: This comes from the district. I am NOT authorized to change a word or puncutation mark.

Student's response
:

What does "Manifest Destiny" mean? Not too many people know that word. If I'm a teacher, I'm gonna explain by tell a story, watch a history movie, and use the example.
Most teachers use a story to explain to their student to understand a word. I think it's a great ideas to explain a word, it will be fun to talk about it.
The movie can easy to help a student who can't speak English like me, the movie can tell too many details to help people understand anything they want.
Last reason is example. It's a easy way to explain many word but make sure all students understand it before ask the question.
In conclusion, this is the best way to explain or ask the student a meaning of a word. For me, I don't understand that word but I'll try hard to find out and explain to my students.

The student in question is an male African immigrant in "Transition" ELL. He is very bright, can converse well on many topics, does well on multiple choice-type tests, and has a burning desire to learn English - adapt to the USA - and become a US citizen.

Grades???
Old 12-04-2009, 22:45   #18
frostfire
Area Commander

ZonieDiver,

how old is he?
what is the grading criteria? The FCA's? If yes, then F.
If he's graded on both English (language arts) and ideas (thought process), then C+. My head hurts reading that response. While grammar and vocabulary are not my forte, coherence and flow of ideas are two points I'm very anal with.

"So we can suffer, and in suffering we know who we are" David Goggins

"Aide-toi, Dieu t'aidera " Jehanne, la Pucelle

Der, der Geld verliert, verliert einiges;
Der, der einen Freund verliert, verliert viel mehr;
Der, der das Vertrauen verliert, verliert alles.

INDNJC
frostfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 23:19   #19
Sigaba
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dozer523 View Post
The Hell with that! I went to college to get away from Mom and Dad, drink, meet pretty girls and get an ROTC commission.
I scoffed at that equation every time I read it in the course catalog or heard some old timer--sorry Gypsy--mention it during an introductory lecture. On the other hand, I always understood that if I didn't like the grade I received, it was because I'd made a choice to work, to socialize, or to build another brick wall on the basketball court.
Quote:
If I Fed-Ex all the essays my students wrote yesterday, could you get them graded and back to me by Monday at 10 a.m.?
This was an issue that always bothered me as a student. If we could write the essays in one night, why couldn't they be evaluated in one night?
Quote:
Essay advice requested.

<<SNIP>>

Grades???
Is it possible to give the student the least desirable grade of all--an Incomplete? And then a day or two to do the assignment correctly? IMO, the response reads like a punt more than an actual effort to do the assignment correctly.
Sigaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 00:13   #20
Costa
SF Candidate

I found a solution to grading!
Old 12-05-2009, 00:20   #21
Dozer523
BANNED USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostfire View Post
ZonieDiver,

how old is he?
what is the grading criteria? The FCA's? If yes, then F.
If he's graded on both English (language arts) and ideas (thought process), then C+. My head hurts reading that response. While grammar and vocabulary are not my forte, coherence and flow of ideas are two points I'm very anal with.
May I decipher the response for you? (I'm not in my "Hancock' mode here, really.)

What does "Manifest Destiny" mean? Not too many people know that word. If I'm a teacher, I'm gonna explain by tell a story, watch a history movie, and use the example. The student is interpreting the question literally, the student has thought what he would do as a teacher to teach what the words Manifest Destiny is to a student that looks remarkably like the young man taking the test.
Most teachers use a story to explain to their student to understand a word. I think it's a great ideas to explain a word, it will be fun to talk about it. The movie can easy to help a student who can't speak English like me, the movie can tell too many details to help people understand anything they want. Last reason is example. It's a easy way to explain many word but make sure all students understand it before ask the question. These are three very effective ways to teach almost any concept. That is what the test asked for, isn't it? Look -- explain to your students the meaing of Manifest Destiny as a teacher. Literal Translation.
In conclusion, this is the best way to explain or ask the student a meaning of a word. For me, I don't understand that word but I'll try hard to find out and explain to my students. He never saw Manifest destiny as a concept (fairly unique to America concept -- most countries call it "land grab" Imperialism or "takin' our stuff".)

The most important line of this answer IMHO is, "I don't understand that word but I'll try hard to find out . . . " There is no way an F is appropriate because of the "Transition" ELL designation. But I don't know what the transition plan for the student is. I wonder if this year he could use all the classes as immersion and retake class like this one next year when his English is better. Give this kid an F and you'll crush him.

BTW how many of us can explain the effect of the apartheid on the indigenous population of Rhodesia / Zimbabwe? Of course not, well, probably not. Not to worry, it will be explained to you . . . in Shona.
Oh, and in Shona answer this question: "You are a teacher and must explain to your students the meaing of apartheid and how different territories of the nation were affected from 1903 to 1969." Good luck.

Question, what are his math grades like?

(See, no Hancock at all . . .I didn't even go near that "I'm very anal" or ending a sentence by dangling "with")

Last edited by Dozer523; 12-05-2009 at 00:27.
Old 12-05-2009, 10:41   #22
Taktiq
Asset

Guys,

When I posted that I understood. I did understand. I also stated I was looking for another topic, which as of this posting I am working on. Though I am a guest, there was also no need for the rest of those comments. Asking for a little harmless advice from people who obviously have a better grasp of the subject than myself, is just that...harmless.

While I may not have understood what people were talking about in regards to academic integrity, the issue was then explained and also understood.

So, the reply about copying and pasting information from another thread after searching for the word Aghanistan was completely uncalled for. And frankly, stupid and rather insulting.

Last edited by Taktiq; 12-05-2009 at 10:48.
Taktiq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 11:11   #23
Richard
Quiet Professional

Quote:
My English professor assigned us with an essay that defines a problem and then proposes 3 possible solutions. It was supposed to be local or college focused in scope, but apparently since so few people turned anything in, and the end of the semester is coming, she just wants something written. I'm no scholar and it's probably half-a****, but the following is what I've proposed, and I figured/hoped you guys could give me some input. ANY help and/or criticism at this point would be welcome.

How can we possibly achieve success in Afghanistan?
Taktiq - sounds as if you (a) were an FTFSI in doing the original assignment as outlined by your professor and (2) got your wish from the members of this forum.

ZD - ahhh...the teracher's burden...I'd call the kid in for a verbal Q&A to see what he does know as he apparently did not understand the original assignment from the district as written, ensure he knows what is being asked and required of him, and give him a redo. I'd wager his second effort will be worth your efforts to support him.

Richard's $.02
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 15:22   #24
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taktiq View Post
Guys,

When I posted that I understood. I did understand. I also stated I was looking for another topic, which as of this posting I am working on. Though I am a guest, there was also no need for the rest of those comments. Asking for a little harmless advice from people who obviously have a better grasp of the subject than myself, is just that...harmless.

While I may not have understood what people were talking about in regards to academic integrity, the issue was then explained and also understood.

So, the reply about copying and pasting information from another thread after searching for the word Aghanistan was completely uncalled for. And frankly, stupid and rather insulting.
I would mind my tone here, especially after asking for feedback.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 18:33   #25
frostfire
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dozer523 View Post
Question, what are his math grades like?

(See, no Hancock at all . . .I didn't even go near that "I'm very anal" or ending a sentence by dangling "with")
My way or the better way. Fire away with corrections as it will only help me in the long run and learning never ends. I was taught to worry once no one bothers to correct me.

I did get the gist of his response and I agree with Q&A, second chance to retake the grade/the class, but an F is an F. He could/should have asked for aid/clarification from friends, teacher, online research, jumped up and down, etc. if he had trouble understanding the grading criteria. I assume he did none of that. This is America. Along with the right to pursue happiness and all that good stuff, there also the less popular one: the right to fail. To experience F early in life under controlled conditions and plenty of support to bounce back is better than later on in college or at work. He'll get more than just a chance to improve language skills. He'll get a chance to develop an indomitable spirit.

FWIW, English is not my first language. I thought I was smart until I enrolled in a certain Institute of Technology and got my first F. I understood the material as I already learned it in highschool, but I misinterpreted the question. Another instance was when I had to give presentation on democracy, American Gov't, and such in a political science class. Looking back, that was one of the best thing ever happened to me. Out of it, I learned the value of humility and hardwork.

I'm also curious how he does in math.

"So we can suffer, and in suffering we know who we are" David Goggins

"Aide-toi, Dieu t'aidera " Jehanne, la Pucelle

Der, der Geld verliert, verliert einiges;
Der, der einen Freund verliert, verliert viel mehr;
Der, der das Vertrauen verliert, verliert alles.

INDNJC

Last edited by frostfire; 12-06-2009 at 09:19.
frostfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 22:24   #26
Dozer523
BANNED USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taktiq View Post
Guys,

OH, you can hardly imagine the remorse with which I struggle.
I was just trying to lighten things up a bit, since so many had called you a cheater. Of course, I assumed you got that. YOU DIDN'T! That is so disappointing.
Actually, my suggestion kinda peaked my interest and so far MY essay is kinda interesting.
You might notice we've moved beyond YOU in this thread.
That is a revealing signature BTW.

BTW there isn't too much harmless stuff out there, really.

TS: I know, I KNOW.... http://www.lashorasperdidas.com/wp-c...hancock-01.jpg TS: I tried, I TRIED!

Last edited by Dozer523; 12-06-2009 at 08:06.
Old 12-06-2009, 15:33   #27
ZonieDiver
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Though I am a guest, there was also no need for the rest of those comments.
Taktiq,

One of the major rules about asking for advice is to be prepared for what follows. It may not always be to your liking. Many people seek advice from QPs here. People who will be training to follow in their footsteps. It is a journey that requires a great deal of honesty and integrity. There are times in that training when no one will be watching what they are doing - or not doing. Almost all answers here - to anyone - keep that fact in mind.

By the way, if you thought the responses were harsh, it is a very good thing you don't envision spending time in the military.