Old 12-20-2005, 15:15   #1
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

Jane's Reports Syria-Iran Weapons Pact

http://www.worldtribune.com/worldtri...659722224.html

Report: Syria agrees to hide Iran nukes

SPECIAL TO WORLD TRIBUNE.COM
Tuesday, December 20, 2005

LONDON — Syria has signed a pledge to store Iranian nuclear weapons and missiles.

The London-based Jane's Defence Weekly reported that Iran and Syria signed a strategic accord meant to protect either country from international pressure regarding their weapons programs. The magazine, citing diplomatic sources, said Syria agreed to store Iranian materials and weapons should Teheran come under United Nations sanctions.

Iran also pledged to grant haven to any Syrian intelligence officer indicted by the UN or Lebanon. Five Syrian officers have been questioned by the UN regarding the Hariri assassination, Middle East Newsline reported.
"The sensitive chapter in the accord includes Syria's commitment to allow Iran to safely store weapons, sensitive equipment or even hazardous materials on Syrian soil should Iran need such help in a time of crisis," Jane's said.

The accord also obligated Syria to continue to supply the Iranian-sponsored Hizbullah with weapons, ammunition and communications. Iran has been the leading weapons supplier to Hizbullah, with about 15,000 missiles and rockets along the Israeli-Lebanese border.

The accord, negotiations of which began in 2004, was signed on Nov. 14 and meant to prepare for economic sanctions imposed on either Iran or Syria. Under the accord, Jane's said, Iran would relay financial aid to Syria in an effort to ease Western sanctions in wake of the UN determination that Damascus was responsible for the assassination of former Lebanese Prime Minister Rafik Hariri.

Iran also pledged to supply a range of military aid to Syria. Jane's cited technology for weapons of mass destruction as well as conventional arms, ammunition and training of Syrian military.

Teheran would seek to upgrade Syrian ballistic missiles and chemical weapons systems. Under the accord, Iran would also be prepared to operate "advanced weapon systems in Syria during a military confrontation." Jane's said.

"The new strategic accord is based on the existing military MoUs, with the addition of the sensitive chapter dealing with cooperation in times of international sanctions or military conflict," Jane's reported.
Roguish Lawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 15:15   #2
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

Makes you wonder whether Iraq's WMDs are in Syria . . .
Roguish Lawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 15:39   #3
Jack Moroney (RIP)
Quiet Professional

Doesn't make me wonder at all. The Syrians and the Ruskies have also entered into some military armament agreements so I would also expect to find some of the Soviets "missing" suitcase nukes waiting for further buyers and deployment by that rouge state and by the groups that it sponsers.
Old 12-20-2005, 16:38   #4
Huey14
Kia ora, bro

While this is interesting...I'd like to know how Jane's got their hands on the info. At the moment it would be just unverifed info (in my eyes).

"That block was already messed up."
Huey14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 19:32   #5
aricbcool
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Moroney
Doesn't make me wonder at all.
My thoughts exactly.

And I'd bet that the Iraq - Syria agreement was the first thing to hit the shredder before US troops rolled into Baghdad.

--Aric

Last edited by aricbcool; 12-21-2005 at 17:22. Reason: I meant Syria, not Iran
aricbcool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 08:46   #6
Goggles Pizano
Area Commander

Makes you wonder why the American press is not all over this-oops, forgot we are worried about alleged spying on Americans! Gee whiz what was I thinking!
Goggles Pizano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 11:08   #7
Solid
Guerrilla Chief

No surprise here, although I'd find a similar Iran-Iraq agreement unlikely. It will be interesting to see if this is corroborated, and if so how it plays out.

Syria and Iran are working very hard to rock the boat... Begs the question- Why?!

Solid
Solid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 17:25   #8
aricbcool
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solid
No surprise here, although I'd find a similar Iran-Iraq agreement unlikely. It will be interesting to see if this is corroborated, and if so how it plays out.

Syria and Iran are working very hard to rock the boat... Begs the question- Why?!

Solid
I thought something looked a little odd about my post suggesting an Iran - Iraq agreement. But I checked the spelling and everything looked ok, so I posted it.

I agree that an Iraq - Iran agreement is unlikely. I think an Iraq - Syria agreement is almost obvious, however.

--Aric
Old 12-21-2005, 23:38   #9
JMI
BANNED USER

Someone verified Janes?
JMI is offline   Reply With Quote