Old 04-05-2022, 15:15   #1
Paslode
Area Commander

Federal Ordinance

My Dad recently found a Federal Ordinance KAR 98 chambered in 7.62/.308 he forgot he had. It goes bang when a round is chambered and the trigger is pulled. From what I have read Federal Ordinance was the Century Arms of the 1960's and QC might be suspect.

The concern I have is in regards to the bolt. The bolt in this rifle engages the chamber as it should, however when the bolt is disengaged to load a round there is a substantial amount of play. This play amounts to 1/2" to 3/4" left/right and up/down.

I seem to recall that Mauser's actions had pretty tight tolerances, so the questions is whether this play in the action is dangerous or normal for KAR 98.
Old 04-06-2022, 05:37   #2
Badger52
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paslode View Post
My Dad recently found a Federal Ordinance KAR 98 chambered in 7.62/.308 he forgot he had. It goes bang when a round is chambered and the trigger is pulled. From what I have read Federal Ordinance was the Century Arms of the 1960's and QC might be suspect.

The concern I have is in regards to the bolt. The bolt in this rifle engages the chamber as it should, however when the bolt is disengaged to load a round there is a substantial amount of play. This play amounts to 1/2" to 3/4" left/right and up/down.

I seem to recall that Mauser's actions had pretty tight tolerances, so the questions is whether this play in the action is dangerous or normal for KAR 98.
Sounds flaky & should not be doing that. Be curious to see if a regular '98 bolt slips in there. Rather than just altering the bolt face it sounds like someone really used the wrong bolt; maybe find a shop that has a '98 and check it. I'd bet numbers don't match. That kind of slop inside the action rings isn't tolerable.

The coin paid to enforce words on parchment is blood; tyrants will not be stopped with anything less dear. - QP Peregrino
Badger52 is offline   Reply With Quote