Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces > Base Camp

Old 05-31-2010, 09:00   #46
MAB32

Another Bump for those who haven't heard it before.
Old 05-31-2010, 09:55   #47
Ambush Master
Quiet Professional

After sunset this evening, I'll be listening to this again!!

Later.
Martin
Old 08-24-2010, 20:46   #48
TrapLine
Guerrilla

I am currently finishing Maj Plaster's book and did a search to find this thread. Needless to say, I am amazed. To Martin and the rest of the SOG warriors, all I can say is thank you!

Last edited by TrapLine; 03-29-2011 at 06:55. Reason: Spelling.
TrapLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 21:24   #49
Ambush Master
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapLine View Post
I am currently finishing Maj Plastor's book and did a search to find this thread. Needless to say, I am amazed. To Martin and the rest of the SOG warriors, all I can say is thank you!
Which of his Books are you reading. He has several.

Later
Martin
Old 08-24-2010, 21:37   #50
TrapLine
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambush Master View Post
Which of his Books are you reading. He has several.

Later
Martin
Sorry, I should have clarified that it is "Secret Commandos". I am planning to read his other works when I get the chance.

I am in the DFW area this week for work. Knowing that you could be in the area and catch me with the book is cause for concern:. Thank you again.
Old 08-24-2010, 21:59   #51
Ambush Master
Quiet Professional

"Secret Commandos" follows my own entry into SF and SOG to a "T"!! I've told John this and he and I are CLOSE friends.

The Picture History has a few of my photos in it, but the first book explains more of the background behind our organization. It wasn't until April, 2001 that we received a Presidential Unit Citation for Bravery!! I took my family back to Bragg (for the first time since I left for "Nam") and it was a MOST memorable trip!! I've been back several times now, and will be visiting more often!!

Take care.
Martin
Old 08-26-2010, 06:39   #52
Nucleusbrains
Asset

Ambush Master,
Thank You Sir! Welcome Home.

"Servare Vitas"
Nucleusbrains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 08:00   #53
Ambush Master
Quiet Professional

A Bump!!

A Bump for those that haven't found it!!

Delta Papa 3 is Plaster. At the end, he is questioning whether Mixter could still be alive before he LIGHTS UP THAT WHOLE AREA!! The Reference to the Straw Hat is one of us! 500 POUND SANDWICHES inbound!!
Old 03-25-2011, 14:51   #54
Jefe
Auxiliary

Ironically

On my way to the SHOTSHOW this year I saw that book (Secret Commandos) in the gate before my flight and bought it. Lo and Behold, MAJ Plaster set up diagnally across the aisle from my booth.

I had heavily leaned on his Ultimate Sniper book back before there was a Sniper FM and I had copied alot of stuff from Fire/Air Support, Tracking, MEDEVAC etc., pubs to make my own FM for our Squad. I had just gotten out of AD after 8 yrs and was in a Natl Guard unit who put me in charge of their Sniper Squad which really wasn't anywhere close to the term

I went over and thanked him for that book. It helped establish our program and establish a program that lives in pretty similar form 20 years later.

I was talking with him for about 15 minutes when I realized that there were about 20 people that had formed up in a line behind me and were waiting. So much for my SA in Las Vegas.

Anyways, he in no way tried to rush me away and was seemed just about as down to earth and cordial as can be. I to think telling him how much his book helped a couple generations meanth something to him. If not, well he got a nice pen made out of bullets!
Jefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 05:45   #55
MK262MOD1
Quiet Professional

Just saw this thread today. I have had this recording for a couple years now. I share it with all my SF friends. To me it is an amazing piece of history.

At least once a week while I run I listen to it. In the woods out by myself.

Amazing men you guys are.

It is awe inspiring.

MK262M1 sends
MK262MOD1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 16:16   #56
219seminole
Guerrilla

When I was on Hillsboro ABCCC I monitored more than one Prairie Fire and listening to this always brings back a flood of powerful memories.

Where do they find such men?
219seminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 06:37   #57
TrapLine
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by 219seminole View Post
Where do they find such men?
I found myself asking the same question throughout the readings of the Maj Plaster's books. I recently met a gentleman at work who was a door gunner on one of the Huey's. It was a pleasure to just say, "Thank you."
Old 06-20-2011, 12:08   #58
SPEC4
Guerrilla

David "Lurch" Mixter....tall guy on the right, January 1970, Alaska.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Army pix.jpg (92.3 KB, 212 views)

Learn from the mistakes of others...you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Love is like a fart, if you have to force it ......it's CRAP.

If you stay ready you don't have to get ready - an old Fireman
SPEC4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 00:47   #59
MAB32

Big bump for all who have not heard this before.
Old 01-20-2012, 11:35   #60
Streck-Fu
Area Commander

I just picked up a copy of "Secret Commandos" and wanted to look at some of Maj. Plaster's other books. I came across a couple of isolated reviews of his books that claimed Maj. Plaster's accounts are false or exaggerated. In particular is the below claim on Amazon for SOG: The Secret Wars of America's Commandos in Vietnam

Now I put more faith in the endorsement of Maj. Plaster's books found in this thread but am curious if this reviewer is actually who he claims to be. Is anyone familiar with him?

LINK

Quote:

Reviews Written by Sherman R. Batman:

98 of 105 people found the following review helpful:
2.0 out of 5 stars SOG: The Secret Wars of America's Commandos in Vietnam, May 30, 2008
This review is from: SOG: The Secret Wars of America's Commandos in Vietnam (Paperback)
I am a veteran of SOG having served with CCC, FOB-2, Kontum RVN. After being assigned to ST Illinois I pulled several missions and suddenly found myself One-Zero (Team Leader) after the One-Zero quit Recon and moved on to the Hatchet Force.

I have conversed with John Plaster on several occasions and have purchased all his books. In this particular book I am mentioned on pages 89-90 where he (Plaster)tells what he says is the story of the "Bright Lights" mission that recovered the body of SP5 John Kedenburg MOH. I and my assistant Team Leader, One-One,Mike Tramel have read this tale and were absolutely astounded to learn from Plaster's book what a couple of bumbling heroes we were. In short, the only truthful details is our names. The date, and details of the mission are l00% BS.

In addition to our mission Plaster makes several stupid statements in his book that defy the imagination. For example:

He states that Thunderstorms in VN (SE Asia) do not produce lightning only thunder.

He was issued a Silenced Swedish K SMG. To the best of my knowledge and belief we had a plethora of Silenced Sten Guns/.22 cal colt woodsman pistols, a conex container of Swedcish K"s but none had silencers.

He always checked his safety just prior of getting out of the Helicopter to insure, due to humid weather in VN, that it had not rusted solid. Now this would be a real trick since the receiver of the CAR-15 was aluminium alloy and did not rust.

Going to the Club and singing "Old Blue" everytime a US SF soldier was lost. This never happened while I was at the FOB ,again to the best of my knowledge and belief. However, SFC James McGlon was known as "Old Blue" because he was always singing "Old Blue" at the Club.

This is just a few of the untruths I found in his book and I don't have it in my possession so I might extract other parts of his tales that I know to be incorrect. Suffices to say, that every SF Soldier (circa1968), that I have spoken with have the same opinion of the Plaster's Books.BTW Neither Mike or myself were interviewed by Plaster prior to the publication of his book

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Last edited by Streck-Fu; 01-20-2012 at 11:42.
Streck-Fu is offline   Reply With Quote