Old 08-07-2012, 14:44   #1
Mills
Quiet Professional

Cases and Storage......

Hey guys, looking for some feedback in regards to some new pelican cases and other storage type items.

We are looking at an upcoming mission where we have the possibility of moving, and possibly running split team. Currently, we have a shit load of old, broken contico boxes. I really want to get a handle on this prior to the trip and make things a little bit easier and a little more organized. Especially for the 18C and 18E section, where equipment will be going to the four winds.

The big things I am looking to tackle, is the storage of tools, and commo equipment.

Any ideas for storing things in a nice, neat, orderly fashion?

I am thinking Pelican cases with the foam cut out in order to fit the required items, but I figured I would check with you guys who have been doing things such as VSO for a while now, as you may have the best feedback.

Thanks.
Mills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 15:02   #2
69harley
Guerrilla

Pelican cases with pick and pluck foam are great, but I think the padded inserts are better in that they allow more stuff to be packed and are reconfigurable.

With pick and pluck foam, once the foam is pluck'd it is what it is, only way to really reconfigure is to replace the foam. The padded inserts are infinetely reconfigurable.
69harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 15:14   #3
MtnGoat
Quiet Professional

See if this helps you

http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/...ad.php?t=37517

History teaches that when you become indifferent and lose the will to fight someone who has the will to fight will take over."

COLONEL BULL SIMONS

Intelligence failures are failures of command [just] as operations failures are command failures.”
MtnGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 16:17   #4
hotshot
Quiet Professional

Storage

I made plywood or wooden organizers in my conticos for tools. Another cool trick I learned from a buddy is to weave bungee cords through holes drilled in the reinforced portion of the lids. There you can store commo cables and other odds and ends much neater (I keep tshirts and socks in my personal contico there).

As I'm sure you well know, when you load those boxes down with 100+ lbs of crap. And nobody else but the C's care about how they are handled, they tend to get broken quickly. One thing you can do is reinforce the Lid from the outside with plywood for those boxes that are just going to be heavy (tools, radios, breaching stuff, etc). If I think of anything else later I'll add. SWCS takes you out of your game...

CH
hotshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 16:57   #5
Mills
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotshot View Post
I made plywood or wooden organizers in my conticos for tools. Another cool trick I learned from a buddy is to weave bungee cords through holes drilled in the reinforced portion of the lids. There you can store commo cables and other odds and ends much neater (I keep tshirts and socks in my personal contico there).

As I'm sure you well know, when you load those boxes down with 100+ lbs of crap. And nobody else but the C's care about how they are handled, they tend to get broken quickly. One thing you can do is reinforce the Lid from the outside with plywood for those boxes that are just going to be heavy (tools, radios, breaching stuff, etc). If I think of anything else later I'll add. SWCS takes you out of your game...

CH
I like the idea of adding bungee cords and what not to the lids. That will help out with quite a few things.

Really one of the things that i am looking for the most is to have all of the tools I need in one place. I am looking at some pelican cases right now that are super large and can basically hold many smaller tool boxes on the inside. Like a large pelican that could hold several 240L machine guns. This will give me the ability to put things inside more organized than they currently are.

Basically, when it comes time to set up show, I want to be able to drop the case, open it up, and get to work. I am talking battery chargers on the inside and everything, and have a plug adapter on the outside so that I can hook it up to a generator.

Same goes for the 18E boxes as well, since we have so many redundant radio systems, I want to be able split those up (to save weight) and basically have two identical boxes.
Old 08-07-2012, 17:14   #6
Mills
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnGoat View Post
That actually did. I am starting to like the idea of using the jobsite boxes. Especially since you can pick them with a forklift, and add wheels. I am thinking that we could keep those loaded in the team lockers, and then roll them into the loading bay, pick them with the lift, put them on the pallet after removing the wheels, then do the same thing once the final destination is reached.

Worst case scenario..........unload it, move it by hand with guys, and then put it in its place and pack it back up. Or pack a heavy duty hand truck for use when terrain is a little rough.

Here is what i am thinking for the tools and what not.

http://www.knaack.com/jobsite_storag...ts.php?p_id=55
Old 08-08-2012, 15:13   #7
MtnGoat
Quiet Professional

I know as a Charlie most hate doing the paperwork for inventories. But cramming a bunch of machine guns(240's) into those 240 pelican case boxes can get really heavy and tear them up inside and outside. We bought one .50 caliber pelican case box for each one of our .50 cals. They are working great. Same thing with for our MK 19 & 47. Yes more paperwork, but I feel it will take better care of our weapons. We are trying to but the individual M4 case with the NVG & pistol cut outs. Bravos hate doing a sherry for each weapon, but done once, that box/case pretty much 1750 stays the same.

We have these for our 18E,, 18C & 18D. They have worked out great, only issue I have with then is uneven ground and sand. But we managed through it. Medical one works great
for supplies and sick call or trauma cart.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_351991-55738...RL=&facetInfo=

History teaches that when you become indifferent and lose the will to fight someone who has the will to fight will take over."

COLONEL BULL SIMONS

Intelligence failures are failures of command [just] as operations failures are command failures.”

Last edited by MtnGoat; 08-08-2012 at 20:36.
MtnGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 07:26   #8
mcarey
Quiet Professional

Pelican and other plastic cases are way to heavy and increase cube quickly. When we needed boxes for each person, comms and other kit to easlly palletize, we did a lot of searching (1/1). We found a box company Zarges (Swiss and US made in NC). They are strong, stackable, can have wheels and handles and were easy to make inserts for. The drawback was cost. We had to wait till we had some money. But the boxes are awesome and last longer than anything else I have seen. Here is a link. http://www.zargescases.com/
mcarey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 19:19   #9
Mills
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarey View Post
Pelican and other plastic cases are way to heavy and increase cube quickly. When we needed boxes for each person, comms and other kit to easlly palletize, we did a lot of searching (1/1). We found a box company Zarges (Swiss and US made in NC). They are strong, stackable, can have wheels and handles and were easy to make inserts for. The drawback was cost. We had to wait till we had some money. But the boxes are awesome and last longer than anything else I have seen. Here is a link. http://www.zargescases.com/
Thats a good idea. I may look into getting some of those, however I think I have the rest of the team sold on the JOBOX site security boxes. Each JOBOX will replace at least 2 contico boxes, not to mention having more space on the inside for organization.....especially with heavy weapons.