Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Area Studies > Latin America

Old 12-14-2010, 09:15   #1
exsquid
Quiet Professional

Interesting Article - U.S. “Super Spy” Center in Mexico City

Not sure of the accuracy of this, but makes for interesting reading.

http://formexico.wordpress.com/2010/...n-mexico-city/

x/S
Old 12-14-2010, 15:32   #2
lindy
Guerrilla Chief

XS,

How the hell did you find that? Wait...nevermind...I don't really wanna know.

"There are times in your life you'll be required to perform an exceedingly difficult task to the best of your ability, regardless of your perceived capability. Mental toughness is what will carry the day during these times. In other words, you suck it up and do what you have to do." - Razor
lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 15:43   #3
Dusty
RIP Quiet Professional

Thanks for that article.

Things are gonna mosdef change for the chilangos.
Old 12-14-2010, 21:26   #4
CombatMuffin
Auxiliary

Interesting, a simple google search came up with more information, the one I found more interesting of the outcomes was this one. Wired is also a known source of information for technology.

I wouldn't doubt such a facility existing, though I am doubtful on whether the mexican government, or any government for that matter, would easily provide access to all major agencies without any restrictions, to a foreign nation.

.... one thing is for sure, the facility was supposedly approved on August 31st, if we track the latest developments in the Drug Wars down in Mexico for the last 6 months or so, there have been some major, major busts and hits: The Barbie, the 100+ tons of marihuana, the killing of one of the La Familia's founders, etc.
CombatMuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 00:14   #5
exsquid
Quiet Professional

The counter accusations fly...

USNORTHCOM: There is NO U.S. Spy Agency in Mexico
Tuesday, November 30, 2010 | Borderland Beat Reporter Ovemex

On November 17, 2010 I posted a translation of a Proceso article titled: U.S. SUPER INTELLIGENCE CENTER REVEALED IN MEXICO. The following is NORTHCOM'S response to the information originally published by Proceso Magazine:

Truth behind the Bilateral Implementation Office (BIO)
BY: NORAD and USNORTHERN Command

We have seen some mileage from a story out of Mexico alleging a “Binational Intelligence Office,” of U.S. Government officials in Mexico. It is unfortunate that other news agencies are starting to pick up this story, because frankly it simply isn’t true. In violation of standard journalistic practice, “Proceso” magazine never contacted the Embassy to seek confirmation of any part of this patently false story. The following points below are being communicated to media outlets who call us and we wanted to share them with you, our friends, so you can at least be aware of our perspective on this story. Links to the original story can be found below.

· There is no “Binational Intelligence Office” in Mexico involving USG agencies.

· There is a Merida Initiative Bilateral Implementation Office (BIO). It was announced by Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and Mexico’s Secretary of Foreign Relations Patricia Espinosa in March 2009, and it opened August 31 in Mexico City.

· This office allows for daily exchanges between technical staffers of agencies of both countries with the purpose of fully implementing equipment transfer and training programs under the Merida Initiative.

· Neither officials from Mexico or the United States working in the Bilateral Implementation Office engage in intelligence or operational activities.

· The BIO demonstrates the high level of strength and depth of the bilateral relations between both countries in terms of security, as supported by the principles of shared responsibility, mutual trust and respect of jurisdiction.

· This innovative, permanent mechanism for consultation facilitates the implementation of the mandate of the Merida Initiative High Level Meeting, which took place in Mexico City on March 23, 2010, that the Merida Initiative programs disrupt the capacity of organized crime to operate, institutionalize the capacity to sustain rule of law, create a secure, 21st century border infrastructure, and build strong and resilient communities.

The following link will take you to the press releases announcing the Bilateral Implementation Office (BIO) http://mexico.usembassy.gov/eng/rele...Bilateral.html

This facility for ongoing consultation by the teams of both governments was inaugurated by David Johnson, U.S. Assistant Secretary of State for International Narcotics and Law Enforcement Affairs, and by Julián Ventura Valero, Undersecretary for North American Affairs of Mexico’s Secretariat of Foreign Relations.

USNORTHCOM is proud of our military to military relationship with Mexico, and we hope that these false allegations of a U.S. spy agency is quickly debunked by our partners, neighbors and friends to the south.

Thanks for reading!
NORAD and USNORTHCOM Public Affairs

(key the eerie music...."the truth is out there.")

x/S
Old 08-26-2011, 16:08   #6
lindy
Guerrilla Chief

U.S. Widens Role in Mexican Fight

Here's a very interesting article in the New York Times.

WASHINGTON — The Obama administration has expanded its role in Mexico’s fight against organized crime by allowing the Mexican police to stage cross-border drug raids from inside the United States, according to senior administration and military officials.

"There are times in your life you'll be required to perform an exceedingly difficult task to the best of your ability, regardless of your perceived capability. Mental toughness is what will carry the day during these times. In other words, you suck it up and do what you have to do." - Razor
Old 08-26-2011, 18:30   #7
sinjefe
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by exsquid View Post
The counter accusations fly...

USNORTHCOM: There is NO U.S. Spy Agency in Mexico
Tuesday, November 30, 2010 | Borderland Beat Reporter Ovemex

On November 17, 2010 I posted a translation of a Proceso article titled: U.S. SUPER INTELLIGENCE CENTER REVEALED IN MEXICO. The following is NORTHCOM'S response to the information originally published by Proceso Magazine:

Truth behind the Bilateral Implementation Office (BIO)
BY: NORAD and USNORTHERN Command

We have seen some mileage from a story out of Mexico alleging a “Binational Intelligence Office,” of U.S. Government officials in Mexico. It is unfortunate that other news agencies are starting to pick up this story, because frankly it simply isn’t true. In violation of standard journalistic practice, “Proceso” magazine never contacted the Embassy to seek confirmation of any part of this patently false story. The following points below are being communicated to media outlets who call us and we wanted to share them with you, our friends, so you can at least be aware of our perspective on this story. Links to the original story can be found below.

· There is no “Binational Intelligence Office” in Mexico involving USG agencies.

· There is a Merida Initiative Bilateral Implementation Office (BIO). It was announced by Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and Mexico’s Secretary of Foreign Relations Patricia Espinosa in March 2009, and it opened August 31 in Mexico City.

· This office allows for daily exchanges between technical staffers of agencies of both countries with the purpose of fully implementing equipment transfer and training programs under the Merida Initiative.

· Neither officials from Mexico or the United States working in the Bilateral Implementation Office engage in intelligence or operational activities.

· The BIO demonstrates the high level of strength and depth of the bilateral relations between both countries in terms of security, as supported by the principles of shared responsibility, mutual trust and respect of jurisdiction.

· This innovative, permanent mechanism for consultation facilitates the implementation of the mandate of the Merida Initiative High Level Meeting, which took place in Mexico City on March 23, 2010, that the Merida Initiative programs disrupt the capacity of organized crime to operate, institutionalize the capacity to sustain rule of law, create a secure, 21st century border infrastructure, and build strong and resilient communities.

The following link will take you to the press releases announcing the Bilateral Implementation Office (BIO) http://mexico.usembassy.gov/eng/rele...Bilateral.html

This facility for ongoing consultation by the teams of both governments was inaugurated by David Johnson, U.S. Assistant Secretary of State for International Narcotics and Law Enforcement Affairs, and by Julián Ventura Valero, Undersecretary for North American Affairs of Mexico’s Secretariat of Foreign Relations.

USNORTHCOM is proud of our military to military relationship with Mexico, and we hope that these false allegations of a U.S. spy agency is quickly debunked by our partners, neighbors and friends to the south.

Thanks for reading!
NORAD and USNORTHCOM Public Affairs

(key the eerie music...."the truth is out there.")

x/S

Dude, I work for US Army North, NCs Land Component. The NC answer in the above article is completely accurate. The first article quoted is a conspiracy theory. I know, because I travel there (Mexico) alot on behalf of NC and work, extensively, with the Mexican Army. There is no super secret (or not super secret) spy agency, office or anything else.
Old 08-26-2011, 18:35   #8
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

The article has now been deleted.
Roguish Lawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 18:37   #9
lindy
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinjefe View Post
Dude, I work for US Army North, NCs Land Component. The NC answer in the above article is completely accurate. The first article quoted is a conspiracy theory. I know, because I travel there (Mexico) alot on behalf of NC and work, extensively, with the Mexican Army. There is no super secret (or not super secret) spy agency, office or anything else.
Your first name wouldn't be Colonel would it? I'm often listening in on the daily VTCs.

Old 08-26-2011, 18:40   #10
sinjefe
Quiet Professional

Nope. I am on the Security Cooperation side, not DSCA so I rarely attend the daily VTCs.
Old 08-26-2011, 20:04   #11
Peregrino
Quiet Professional

Nothing wrong with most "journalists" that can't be cured by waterboarding w/o benefit of resuscitation. Sinjefe's right. This is total BS.
A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear.

~ Marcus Tullius Cicero (42B.C)
Peregrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 15:39   #12
mark46th
Quiet Professional

I would imagine OpSec would be an interesting job in Mexico...

Last edited by mark46th; 08-29-2011 at 17:08.
mark46th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 07:05   #13
Basenshukai
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by exsquid View Post
Not sure of the accuracy of this, but makes for interesting reading.

http://formexico.wordpress.com/2010/...n-mexico-city/

x/S
I was able to read this "article" (for lack of a better word; it is certainly NOT journalism) in another website. It's pretty old news by now. But, I can state as someone with first hand knowledge that the entire article is wrong. The only thing that is true is essentially the same thing that USNC acknowledges as correct.

Seriously, it's kind of funny that these folks make up so much of this "secret squirrel" stuff. It reminds me of when I was in a South American country and the soldiers and police officers there swore that we all had micro-chip tracking devices in our bodies. There was no way that we could tell them otherwise. If you told them no, they'd say, "Riiiight, that's what you'd say if you did have it." I say, let them keep writing this fiction; it's entertaining.