Old 03-02-2014, 17:36   #1
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

SOCM Course

Here is an excellent review of the SOCM component of the course from an Army Ranger's perspective.

http://hitthewoodline.com/militaria/...t-medic-course

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 19:09   #2
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Great read, Thanks..

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 19:21   #3
mojaveman
Area Commander

Interesting.

"SF make up the majority of the students. Their military bearing is different to the Ranger Regiment."
mojaveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 21:15   #4
Firedude
Asset

Very well written.

Even though the medic program currently has changed since I went through, the story portrays the same sense of loads of information (being fed with a firehose or eating an elephant) in a short period of time. Memories...
Old 03-03-2014, 09:09   #5
Snaquebite
Area Commander

Inside the SOCM course

Ok medics. What's your opinion on this article?
Quote:
I graduated the Special Operations Combat Medic (SOCM) program in June 2013 as part of my pipeline to become a Ranger Medic. This is a condensed evaluation of the course to give any other Rangers an insight into what to expect. Although the program constantly undergoes changes to make it more effective, the core components have remained fairly consistent throughout the course’s history. The biggest change to date is the recent addition of the 6-week Tactical Combat Casualty Care block after Combat Trauma Management. The addition of this block was intended to be a ‘putting it all together’ block of instruction and the feedback most of the cadre gave me is that it is an improvement on the old course.

EDIT: Thanks for the merge Richard. Didn't see TR's post

"If one day you decide to know yourself...you'll have to choose the warrior path...You'll reach the darkness of your spirit.... Then, if you overcome your fears....You will know who you are."

"De Oppresso Liber"

Last edited by Snaquebite; 03-03-2014 at 09:57.
Snaquebite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 06:35   #6
miclo18d
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaquebite View Post
Ok medics. What's your opinion on this article?

EDIT: Thanks for the merge Richard. Didn't see TR's post
Having been a Ranger (11B) then an 18D I have a unique perspective on this Rangers article. I graduated the SOCM/SFMS in Dec 2000, so the course seems to have changed tremendously, however from what I can tell, the things you learn haven't. There are basic tenets in trauma and medical care and the SOCM students are the best at those! You've mastered what regular medics wish they could be, but never mistake your skills for those of higher medical authority! And you're a shooter first!

I did find the article to be a little melodramatic about the "Lacsidasical" attitude of the SF students vs that of the "highly disciplined" Rangers. The SF mission is about winning hearts and minds (the phrase I was taught was, "you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar"). You don't go to South America and smoke the indig privates because they didn't stand at parade rest for you! The SF students in the course have have probably all lived the life of the "disciplined soldier" most of their careers and are ready to do it differently! This guy will understand that when he gets burnt out in "Battalion" (I did)!

Overall a well written article and lots of good study information and how to keep yourself on task. I had 3 Ranger in my class. All the former Rangers took them under their wings and kept them straight and in the spring of 2000 they brought in the Ranger LNO to keep the Rangers straight. 2 of the Rangers made it, one was a story for the record books (the guy was actually not a Ranger and was on fake orders, very weird case, Black Chinook and all).
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." — Jeff Cooper
miclo18d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 12:54   #7
goon175
Asset

Just an FYI for anyone who is reading this thread, the article has moved to this URL:

https://havokjournal.squarespace.com...t-medic-course
goon175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 13:53   #8
GhostOcho
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by goon175 View Post
Just an FYI for anyone who is reading this thread, the article has moved to this URL:

https://havokjournal.squarespace.com...t-medic-course
Thanks TR for the original post and goon175 for the redirect.
GhostOcho is offline   Reply With Quote