Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > TMC 14 > Medical Pearls Of Wisdom

Old 06-02-2013, 07:02   #16
Trapper John
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandaidbrand View Post
Oh wow, this is a lightning strike?
Yup I'm wondering if this guy was wearing a shoulder holster and the gun was the conductor?

Good one SDiver! I initially thought the "charring" of tissue was necrotic tissue from the GSW and the "charring" around the "entrance wound" were "powder burns". Totally consistent with a lightning strike. This guy was some kinda lucky. If he wasn't carrying he'd be dead at the scene.

Was the gun even fired?
Old 06-02-2013, 07:32   #17
PedOncoDoc
Area Commander

Thanks for throwing us the huge bone, Sdiver.

Was a nipple ring, bychance, the conductor?
‎"The dignity of man is not shattered in a single blow, but slowly softened, bent, and eventually neutered. Men are seldom forced to act, but are constantly restrained from acting. Such power does not destroy outright, but prevents genuine existence. It does not tyrannize immediately, but it dampens, weakens, and ultimately suffocates, until the entire population is reduced to nothing better than a flock of timid, uninspired animals, of which the government is shepherd." - Alexis de Tocqueville
PedOncoDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 08:29   #18
Sdiver
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedOncoDoc View Post
Thanks for throwing us the huge bone, Sdiver.

Was a nipple ring, bychance, the conductor?
Yep !!!!! ..... It was either a nipple ring or stud or something definitely metallic that was the conductor.

The gun, was never fired or used. He just carried it in his left inside jacket pocket (sorry Trap, no shoulder holster. it was just loosely carried in there). It just happened to fall out and land underneath him after he got struck by the lightning.

People see/read about the gun and that type of wound and immediately think GSW, when in fact, lightning hit the nipple ring/stud and exited out his side, striking the gun in his jacket pocket. None of the rounds in the gun were discharged or went off, in fact the gun was wholly intact, that cavitation was caused just by the lighting alone.

Thanks for playing folks .... we have some nice parting gifts for ya.
Sdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 10:25   #19
MR2
Quiet Professional

It's Never Crowded Along the Extra Mile - Wayne Dyer

WOKE = Willfully Overlooking Known Evil
MR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 12:57   #20
Trapper John
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brush Okie View Post
Good one.

Can I have the gun as a parting gift? Trapper can have the nipple ring.
Now WTF would I do with a nipple ring?

This was fun SDiver. Can we do it again, huh? Can we? Can we?
Old 06-03-2013, 10:07   #21
Priest
Quiet Professional

Okie, not sharpshooting here, but delivering narcan in a GSW case just to relieve respiratory depression (which, from the vitals and pt's mental status suggest that intubation would be no problem) seems counter intuitive due to the fact that when this guy does come around, you've filled up his opiate receptors with NARCAN and now you've increased the mental and physical trauma this guy is going to get. Now, as a military medic I don't see the drug OD as much, but is this the typical treatment for such a patient in a pre-hospital setting?
Priest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 22:10   #22
Whiplash
Asset

Sdiver, what website do you get these off of? I took this scenario into my aid station today to see what some of the other medics thought and they enjoyed it thoroughly.
Old 06-04-2013, 16:15   #23
JMART5
Quiet Professional

I'm not a medical professional but I do enjoy reading these scenarios.

Don't know if it matters, but is it possible that he was smoking the potpourri (the kids call it spice). I have a friend whose son had a stroke smoking that shit. Maybe that's why he was wandering around in a rain storm. Several stores around Fort Lee are of limits because of it.
Old 06-04-2013, 16:47   #24
Sdiver
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMART5 View Post
I'm not a medical professional but I do enjoy reading these scenarios.

Don't know if it matters, but is it possible that he was smoking the potpourri (the kids call it spice). I have a friend whose son had a stroke smoking that shit. Maybe that's why he was wandering around in a rain storm. Several stores around Fort Lee are of limits because of it.
Unknown if this is what happened, but it most likely is.
"Spice" and now "Bath Salts" are showing up with more frequency and is something that we're having to train up on, on how to handle and it's turing out to be some scary ass shit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiplash View Post
Sdiver, what website do you get these off of? I took this scenario into my aid station today to see what some of the other medics thought and they enjoyed it thoroughly.
Awwww Man ...... A good fisherman never tells others where his good fishing holes are, that is, until he's ready to hang up his fishing pole.
Sdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 17:38   #25
Priest
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brush Okie View Post
I don't take it as sharpshooting. Good questions.

Yes. Typically you give the Narcan first if you suspect drug OD. It isn't going to hurt anything. If they are intubated you can extibate them if needed. Many times you will run across a multi problem issue such as a car wreak caused by someone having a heart attack that blacked out for a second so you have to treat both. Typically a gun shot wound here involves someone using drugs ie two druggies shooting it out, cops shoot druggie etc etc. I am NOT saying give narcan to every shooting victim, but in this case the circumstance called for it.

We didn't give pain killers ie morphine to MAJOR trauma like this guy. It can hide clues about his vitals, mask his LOC dropping (is it the meds or the trauma) and suppress his respiratory system and we are trying to give them more O2 not less. IF and that is IF he had opiates on board it is suppressing his respiratory system and that narcan may be the difference between him making it to the hospital and dying in the back of the rig. The Narcan is NOT going to hurt him if he does not have any opiates on board. The half life is shorter than Morphine.
Thanks for the info
Priest is offline   Reply With Quote