Old 12-07-2011, 08:04   #1
Dozer523
BANNED USER

Clauswitz (for kids)

http://clausewitzforkids.wordpress.com/

Stuff you have to know!
Don't laugh! And it's not a joke. "Carl von" is required reading but getting past that Prussian accent can be tough

Introduction, in Which We Meet the War Tutor
Posted on March 30, 2011

Ich heiße Carl, aber für Sie mein Name ist Herr Clausewitz.

I am Carl, but you will call me Hare Clausewitz.
I will be teaching you about war.
I will not waste time on trifles.
I will not teach you how to shoot your gun.
I will not teach you what tactics to use.
I will not tell you why you go to war, or what to do once the war is done.
There are many who can teach you these things.
What I will teach you, many people cannot teach you.
I will teach you about strategy.
I will teach you what war is for, and what it takes to achieve your end.
I will teach you about vision, about what is important in war, and what is not.

It is likely that none of you will understand me, let alone be that rare creature who can be a great leader of war, but I will do my best to teach you what I know.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wtd hare Carl.jpg (89.1 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg wtd clauswitz 3.jpg (45.2 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg wtd clauswitz 5.jpg (115.1 KB, 71 views)

Last edited by Dozer523; 12-07-2011 at 08:25.
Dozer523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 19:16   #2
Buffalobob
Quiet Professional

After about the third iteration, I recognized the high pitched whistling sound and ducked. While my brain was in defilade the point of the link passed on by.

Given where you placed this thread, I thought this was a good thing for an 18A to pick out of the link.
Quote:
Belief. Strong belief. He must make a decision, and stick with it, but not be too stubborn to hear others’ ideas.
There were other thoughts I liked, such as policy and war and being calm in combat.

SFA M-9545
Buffalobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 10:01   #3
mark46th
Quiet Professional

Will there be a sequel by Sun Tzu?
mark46th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 18:34   #4
Dozer523
BANNED USER

Maybe you're right, should we move this to the comedy zone?
Dozer523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 19:40   #5
mojaveman
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark46th View Post
Will there be a sequel by Sun Tzu?
That's exactly what I was thinking after I read it. Have read both and prefer "The Art of War". I found that I think a little more like Sun Tzu rather than Caluswitz.
mojaveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 09:35   #6
mark46th
Quiet Professional

"I found that I think a little more like Sun Tzu rather than Caluswitz. "

Sun Tzu being Chinese, would be a more straight-forward read. Von Clausewitz, being Prussian, is going to be a little more verbose and full of himself...

Last edited by mark46th; 01-17-2012 at 17:04.
mark46th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 13:37   #7
tcb09d
Asset

Clausewitz is a book I admittedly have not finished. It is a difficult read, but I don't think it should be compared to Sun Tzus work because Clausewitz speaks a lot more on the political goals of war. The political goals of war, to me atleast, are a lot more interesting and seemingly applicable nowadays
tcb09d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 00:34   #8
Mauser98
Asset

Hope I'm not digressing too much from the original point of the thread or necro posting but I've read Art of War & The Prince and Mao's and Che's take on guerilla warfare and was wondering if someone could point me in the direction in more stuff like that. Whether it's mostly strategic or tactically focused, seeing how much is still applicable today is something kind of interesting. Specifically anything from the Vietnam era. we do some reenacting (as a VC, someone has to be the BG) and am looking for additional info to improve tactics and make them historically based.

To be clear, I'm not just some airsoft guy looking to waste your time to play out whatever silly fantasy I have.
-Thanks,
Ben
Mauser98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 03:59   #9
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauser98 View Post
Hope I'm not digressing too much from the original point of the thread or necro posting but I've read Art of War & The Prince and Mao's and Che's take on guerilla warfare and was wondering if someone could point me in the direction in more stuff like that. Whether it's mostly strategic or tactically focused, seeing how much is still applicable today is something kind of interesting. Specifically anything from the Vietnam era. we do some reenacting (as a VC, someone has to be the BG) and am looking for additional info to improve tactics and make them historically based.

To be clear, I'm not just some airsoft guy looking to waste your time to play out whatever silly fantasy I have.
-Thanks,
Ben
Let the force guide you young Jedi..

You have many years before you achieve.

Start by using the search function in the upper right corner of your screen..

Find and learn from: "A Message to Garcia"

Read all the stickies in each sub fora.

Then read all the posts in "hall of shame inductees" These are the failures and from them you can learn much.

Then read all posts under UWOA.

Good luck in your adventure(s)..

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 10:08   #10
Sarski

mauser, you might also want to check out the threads in "Team Sargeant's Office." Very entertaining and more great examples of what others have done to fail. Great way to boost your SA quickly.

Since you seem to be such a prolific reader:

I liked this one:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0465072054

and this:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/081334...dir_mdp_mobile

Enjoy!

Last edited by Sarski; 02-11-2012 at 10:22.
Old 02-11-2012, 14:00   #11
Airbornelawyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark46th View Post
"I found that I think a little more like Sun Tzu rather than Caluswitz. "

Sun Tzu being Chinese, would be a more straight-forward read. Von Clausewitz, being Prussian, is going to be a little more verbose and full of himself...
Prussians are actually far more likely to be regarded as taciturn, rather than verbose. Full of themselves ... now that's a different story. Prussians, and Germans in general, do value exactness, so Prussian/German philosophical writing tends to be complex and wordy, designed to capture every possible nuance.

Clausewitz was also writing about a more specific set of circumstances, what he saw as the revolution in military affairs from the 18th to the 19th centuries, from Frederick the Great to Napoleon, as warfare evolved from the set-piece movements of small professional armies across the chessboard of Europe to the concept of a nation in arms. And his writing was primarily aimed at his War Academy students. So a lot of On War is not only hard to read, but dated.

Sun Tzu's Chinese is more straightforward, but also more vague. His prescriptions come across in many cases as more generic axioms. "As circumstances are favorable, one should modify one's plans". "In war, the way is to avoid what is strong and to strike at what is weak." Etc. So despite being some two millennia older, much of it seems less dated, but as a practical matter less useful.

The generic axioms lend themselves to broad interpretations. So you get the Art of War for sports teams, businessmen, trial lawyers, etc. I remember finding it ironic in the 1990s that businessmen were reading Sun Tzu, while the Army was trotting out business school management theories like TQM.
Airbornelawyer is offline   Reply With Quote