Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > The Library

Old 01-20-2023, 13:18   #1
Trapper John
Quiet Professional

A Thousand Drops of Rain

"A Thousand Drops of Rain" by Peter Crittenden is an excellent collection of vignettes written in a conversational style that I absolutely love.

I could imagine myself sitting at a cafe table stirring 2 sugars into my morning cup of dark, rich, thick Thai coffee in the veranda at the edge of the awakening jungle while Pete regales a fantastic tale.

Alternatively, I could also imagine sitting at the end of the long bar sipping a double Tito's on the rocks with 3 olives as the jungle quiets to its night-time din and the pounding surf of the Adaman Sea lulls me into a surreal calm as I am drawn into the next tale.

“Is this fiction or non-fiction?”: Although events in each vignette are based, at least in part, upon actual events. My view is that the answer truly is entirely dependent upon the reader’s own state of mind and imagination.

For those of us who are old warriors and are occasionally battling depression from physical, neurological injury, PTSD, emotional disconnection, or demons once thought locked away long ago,". A Thousand Drops of Rain" is the very best therapy you will ever encounter.
Old 01-20-2023, 19:17   #2
Badger52
Area Commander

Ordered this one. Need a break from some other stuff I'm going through and winter ist lang Kamerad.
Gracias!

The coin paid to enforce words on parchment is blood; tyrants will not be stopped with anything less dear. - QP Peregrino
Badger52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2023, 11:26   #3
PRB
Quiet Professional

Looks good....I'll get that
PRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 13:18   #4
PRB
Quiet Professional

I looked up the author as the name seemed familiar and he is.

The book is an excellent read and his style is just right.... a relaxing funny read with hints of truth you can pick out.

Really well done, thanks for the tip
PRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 19:10   #5
Badger52
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRB View Post
I looked up the author as the name seemed familiar and he is.

The book is an excellent read and his style is just right.... a relaxing funny read with hints of truth you can pick out.

Really well done, thanks for the tip
+1 Came here to mention exactly that. The vignettes are just the right length, and the style is perfect for the setting. Really, it's like you're in that open, tropical bar, fan blades slowly turning with an officious indig wiping down the polished bar that looks out over Donavan's Reef waiting for the Aussies to show up for the latest brouhaha.

First rate raconteuring. Night-stand stuff, and it could be a mini-series.

The coin paid to enforce words on parchment is blood; tyrants will not be stopped with anything less dear. - QP Peregrino
Badger52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2023, 16:58   #6
Penn
Area Commander

19th vs 21st century Policy adapted/co-optive

The biological notion of social welfare was fed into an anarchist critique of the state and a theory for decentralized social arrangement. Anarchists attacked centralized authority for its inability to prevent social sickness and called for a people managed system of welfare to restore social health. Álvaro Girón explores how within the context of public health concerns, the idea of degeneration permeated Spanish anarchism around the turn of the twentieth century. He argues that Spanish anarchists ‘considered degeneration to be a fact, although establishing both a different diagnosis and treatment’. With the threat of degeneracy a seeming reality, anarchists searched for the causes of humanity’s biological decline in certain environments. Anarchist politics drew meaning from more generally felt European biomedical fears common to the fin-de-sičcle.
My work relates to this trend in the scholarship of anarchism. I demonstrate how the marriage of biomedical notions of public health and social decline to revolutionary politics came to characterize the political diagnoses and remedies of one of the European anarchist movement’s leading figures. I show how this combination was arranged on a total scale in Kropotkin’s thought, spanning numerous books and articles and informing discussions of diverse topics such as prisons and battlefields. For, as Girón points out, while Spanish anarchists looked to the environments of capitalism to explain the causes of sickness, Kropotkin also condemned the pathogenic environments of state power as sites of infection and pestilence. It is the nuances of Kropotkin’s absorption of ideas of health and disease that interest me. I locate these absorptions in various areas of his work: in his investigations into political situations in different national contexts; in his writings about individual bodies, societies, and species; in his historical studies; in his analysis of literary plots and characters; and in his imaginations of the past, present, and future. My study does project Kropotkin’s commonality with other anarchist thinkers and movements who incorporated contemporary scientific ideas into their political projects, but it also reveals the scope and peculiarity of his innovations, his unique playfulness and creativity with science.

https://discovery.ucl.ac.uk/id/eprin...Thesis%20-.pdf

Interesting read, YMMV
Penn is offline   Reply With Quote