Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces Weapons > Ammo Talk

Closed Thread

Old 01-14-2015, 09:54   #1
Bladeenthusiast

AP 30-06 bullet in a .300 win mag case?

Hey guys, I was wondering if you guys had any suggestions or input on this. My dad has been reloading forever and I occasionally help out. I got a thought the other day if you could put some 30-06 bullets in .300 win mag cases. I googled it and came up with this.
http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.ht...&f=42&t=372976

Which helped a little but not a lot. So I was wondering what you guys thought. Or any suggestions you guys had. I already have reload able brass for the .300.

Last edited by Bladeenthusiast; 01-14-2015 at 16:23.

Old 01-14-2015, 10:06   #2
Bladeenthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocIllinois View Post
Why are you wanting to load with another type of bullet?

Are you needing a different trajectory? If that's the case, wouldn't it be easier to learn the ballistics or invest in a range finder?
Good question. The reason I want to do this is because a 30-06 is the closest bullet ballistically that has a AP round, and my dad has some lying around. I personally have never seen a .300 win mag AP.

Old 01-14-2015, 11:31   #3
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

What are you trying to penetrate?

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
Old 01-14-2015, 11:41   #4
Bladeenthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post
What are you trying to penetrate?

TR
A 3/4 inch ar500 plate at 250 yards, And have a little steam left.

Last edited by Bladeenthusiast; 01-14-2015 at 16:59.

Old 01-14-2015, 12:35   #5
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladeenthusiast View Post
A 3/4 inch ar500 plate at 250 yards, And have some steam left.
Not going to happen, IMHO.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

Old 01-14-2015, 12:35   #6
Peregrino
Quiet Professional

Hmmm. You might want to take this question back to AR15.com where you came from; however, to get you started - anything is at least remotely possible. If you know what you're doing and use proper proceedures, it is possible to do what you're asking. That isn't saying I think it's a good idea. Given that the barrel blank used to build my 300WM cost $500 (and that was the REALLY good buddy price) and I expect to have to replace it at around 1500 rounds, I doubt seriously that you could convince me to shoot AP ammo in it. And I'm pretty sure anyone else with a quality rifle will tell you the same thing.
A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear.

~ Marcus Tullius Cicero (42B.C)
Old 01-14-2015, 14:57   #7
Bladeenthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrino View Post
Hmmm. You might want to take this question back to AR15.com where you came from; however, to get you started - anything is at least remotely possible. If you know what you're doing and use proper proceedures, it is possible to do what you're asking. That isn't saying I think it's a good idea. Given that the barrel blank used to build my 300WM cost $500 (and that was the REALLY good buddy price) and I expect to have to replace it at around 1500 rounds, I doubt seriously that you could convince me to shoot AP ammo in it. And I'm pretty sure anyone else with a quality rifle will tell you the same thing.
I didn't come from ar15.com, but that sounds like one nice ass gun your referring too. And I'll take your advice and head back there again maybe more people might see it if I post it again. Thanks

Old 01-14-2015, 17:27   #8
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

A .30-06 M2 AP round will not penetrate 1/2" of AR500 armor at 100 meters.

Honestly, I don't see how adding a couple of hundred fps are going to magically make it able to defeat 50% more armor at more than twice the distance.

Good luck though.

TR

Old 01-14-2015, 20:07   #9
Peregrino
Quiet Professional

True - Steel rifle targets are 1/2" AR500 and minimum safe distance for shooting at them is 100M. I am kind of curious what it would take myself; however, as stated earlier I'm not about to ruin a perfectly good barrel to find out.
A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear.

~ Marcus Tullius Cicero (42B.C)
Old 01-14-2015, 20:54   #10
Bladeenthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrino View Post
True - Steel rifle targets are 1/2" AR500 and minimum safe distance for shooting at them is 100M. I am kind of curious what it would take myself; however, as stated earlier I'm not about to ruin a perfectly good barrel to find out.
Well sir I'll PM you when I find out, thanks for the luck ill need it. I'll probably get the end result by late spring.

Closed Thread