Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > UWOA > Terrorism

Old 01-22-2004, 21:38   #1
Jimbo
Guerrilla

Terrorism and Insurgency

Any ideas as to how to better deliniate between terrorism and terrorist acts carried out as part of an insurgency?
Who have dared for a high cause to suffer, resist, fight—if need be, to die.
Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2004, 11:07   #2
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

I like your question very much. However it requires more than an off the cuff discussion. I'll be back.
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2004, 15:34   #3
Jimbo
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally posted by HFCUIDOC
I like your question very much. However it requires more than an off the cuff discussion. I'll be back.
Excellent. I'm looking forward to it.
Old 01-23-2004, 15:39   #4
CPTAUSRET
Gun Pilot

Quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo
Excellent. I'm looking forward to it.
I'm looking forward to the discussion, may not add much but am here to learn:

Terry
Old 01-23-2004, 16:57   #5
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally posted by CPTAUSRET
I'm looking forward to the discussion, may not add much but am here to learn:

Terry
LOL - yeah right. Have to be manana, client call.
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
Old 01-24-2004, 14:17   #6
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Ok Jimbo, I'm ready to be your Huckleberry. First, how about we talk about why we need to deliniate?
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
Old 01-24-2004, 16:22   #7
Jimbo
Guerrilla

OK. We need to deliniate because in order to defeat either one, we need to understand the nature of the problem. We don't want to treat a symptom, we want to treat the illness or injury. Terrorism in support of an insurgency is just a tactic, terrorism as a strategy is a different beast.

That's why.
Old 01-24-2004, 17:10   #8
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Ok.

Since "terrorism as a strategy" implies an internal decision - how will we know?
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
Old 01-24-2004, 17:34   #9
Jimbo
Guerrilla

The matter is somewhat complicated by insurgent use of propaganda to mask any true intention, but I think a fair way to tell is to see if the insurgents take and hold territory and implement the changes they advocate in said areas.

People often give away what they are thinking without saying it.
Old 01-25-2004, 09:53   #10
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Yes they do. However, let's take the FARC. They say they want to change the government (then lay down weapons and go back to farming), yet they take and hold territory and kidnap and bomb civilian targets.

If you ask them about the terrorism, the response is usually, they didn't want to, it was forced on them - a recurrent theme in a lot of cases.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
Old 01-25-2004, 21:38   #11
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

As I understand it, terrorism is a tactic. But terrorism is defined (in part) in the other thread as being "politically motivated."

I am having a difficult time thinking of a politically motivated use of terrorism that cannot be defined as part of an insurgency.

Maybe an isolated incident of "lashing out" by a dissatisfied person or group, as opposed to a sustained campaign intended to replace the government? Can't think of one right now . . .
Roguish Lawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 04:33   #12
Jimbo
Guerrilla

A significant amount of the terrorism that occured in the 60s through the mid 90s was not part of an insurgency. N17 in Greece, M19 in Colombia, Baader-Minehoff in Germany, ETA in Spain, IRA in Ireland, etc... Those are just off the top of my head. I don't think any of those groups made an effort to control territory beyond a few city-blocks at a time.
Old 01-26-2004, 10:53   #13
D9 (RIP)
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo
A significant amount of the terrorism that occured in the 60s through the mid 90s was not part of an insurgency. N17 in Greece, M19 in Colombia, Baader-Minehoff in Germany, ETA in Spain, IRA in Ireland, etc... Those are just off the top of my head. I don't think any of those groups made an effort to control territory beyond a few city-blocks at a time.
Terrorism, as a strategy (i.e. an end in itself), is called nihilism. The Aun Shinrikyo comes to mind. So do numerous 19th century Russian revolutionaries, such as Chernychevsky and his cronies.

But some of the groups you mention above do have some end-state other than total destruction, they just vary as to the means of achieving them. Recall that Marxism advocated spreading by "spontaneous uprisings." Although Lenin, pulling from others, eventually took a more organized approach to revolution, pure Marxism essentially said that there was a great tension in the working class, and there would be some event that would eventually catalyze the tension into spontaneous revolution. Much of the terrorism of the 60's was this kind of Marxist groping - attacks meant to put a spark to the tinder of working class tension (that didn't turn out to be there). As long as the group has a coherent ideological objective, whether or not holding ground is their goal seems to me a relative inessential for the purposes of classification - at least at the macro level.

IMO, the appropriate classification is by the end-state the group wants to bring about. If it is destruction for its own sake, then I think "nihilistic terrorist organization" is the appropriate category. If it is the recapture of land and elimination of a physical enemy (e.g. - the IRA), then I think some political description is appropriate. If it is to bring the world into Dar al Islam at the edge of the sword, forcing all to submit to Allah's will (as interpreted through the gang of priests that want to see all of this brought about), then I think "militant Islamic terrorism" is the right category. The end state a group is seeking is the best key to understanding their motives, what tactics they are likely to employ and against which targets. The ideology is the key to understanding the end state.
Old 01-26-2004, 10:58   #14
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

D9, excellent post.

We may be able to make a Special Forces soldier out of you yet.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 15:49   #15
Jimbo
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally posted by D9
Terrorism, as a strategy (i.e. an end in itself), is called nihilism. The Aun Shinrikyo comes to mind. So do numerous 19th century Russian revolutionaries, such as Chernychevsky and his cronies.

But some of the groups you mention above do have some end-state other than total destruction, they just vary as to the means of achieving them. Recall that Marxism advocated spreading by "spontaneous uprisings." Although Lenin, pulling from others, eventually took a more organized approach to revolution, pure Marxism essentially said that there was a great tension in the working class, and there would be some event that would eventually catalyze the tension into spontaneous revolution. Much of the terrorism of the 60's was this kind of Marxist groping - attacks meant to put a spark to the tinder of working class tension (that didn't turn out to be there). As long as the group has a coherent ideological objective, whether or not holding ground is their goal seems to me a relative inessential for the purposes of classification - at least at the macro level.

IMO, the appropriate classification is by the end-state the group wants to bring about. If it is destruction for its own sake, then I think "nihilistic terrorist organization" is the appropriate category. If it is the recapture of land and elimination of a physical enemy (e.g. - the IRA), then I think some political description is appropriate. If it is to bring the world into Dar al Islam at the edge of the sword, forcing all to submit to Allah's will (as interpreted through the gang of priests that want to see all of this brought about), then I think "militant Islamic terrorism" is the right category. The end state a group is seeking is the best key to understanding their motives, what tactics they are likely to employ and against which targets. The ideology is the key to understanding the end state.
I disagree completely. While it is important to know a group's stated goal and the philosophy behind that goal, one might argue that what the groups actually DO is much more important in combating them.

Yes, the IRA said they wanted England out of Ireland and that they had an 'army' to help them accomplish that goal. However, tactically, they never progressed beyond terrorist attacks. With the exception of a few blocks on occasion, they never held any territory. I can not think of one single insurgency that achieved any degree of success without controlling some amount of land.

Quote:
Originally posted by D9
Terrorism, as a strategy (i.e. an end in itself), is called nihilism.
This is also wrong. In the business, groups that you describe as nihilistic are more commonly referred to as "apocalyptic"; Aum Shinryko, followers of Bhagwan Shree Rajneesh, Turner Diary adherents. These are groups whose goal is to bring about the end of the world. (Many of these groups reference the Book of Revelations without conscious effort)

The Marxist groups that you note were, as far as I can tell, using terrorism (coupled with some propaganda) as a strategy to being about the spark in the proletariat.

Last edited by Jimbo; 01-26-2004 at 15:51.