Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > UWOA > Briefback

Old 04-06-2004, 16:13   #1
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

Request

Nothing new has been posted in the Briefback forum for a while. If anyone would be so kind as to share some stories, I and many others would greatly appreciate it.
Roguish Lawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 17:03   #2
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

You gotta give a little to get a little.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 17:35   #3
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

Quote:
Originally posted by The Reaper
You gotta give a little to get a little.

TR
You want me to tell a story?
Old 04-06-2004, 19:14   #4
Kyobanim

Quote:
Originally posted by Roguish Lawyer
You want me to tell a story?
I think that would be a grand idea.

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

"Fate rarely calls upon us at a moment of our choosing."
Optimus Prime
Kyobanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 19:26   #5
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Capital thought!
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 19:29   #6
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Either your most exciting combat episode,

or your best legal story (and it beter be good).

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

Old 04-06-2004, 20:44   #7
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

Quote:
Either your most exciting combat episode,

or your best legal story (and it beter be good).

TR
You guys don't understand just how BORING my business is, do you? LOL

OK, I don't know if this is my best, but this one amuses me. Hopefully I can do it justice.

Several years ago I was representing a manufacturer in a trademark dispute with another large company. My client was using a name to identify computer keyboards, and we wanted to prevent the other company from using a name that is spelled differently but sounds the same to identify another type of data input device. We litigated the case for a while in two different jurisdictions, then agreed to meet with them at their counsel's offices in Denver to see if we could settle the case.

So there we are in Denver -- in opposing counsel's office -- meeting in a conference room. On one side of the table were me (at the time the equivalent of a Captain I suppose), my boss (three stars), and the general counsel of our client. On the other side of the table are four lawyers from the other side plus an in-house lawyer from their client.

At settlement meetings like this, you can proceed in different ways. Often you'll cut to the chase and talk about possible resolutions right away. Other times the parties will start off by talking about the strengths of their respective cases and the weaknesses of the other side's case. The lawyers had all agreed in advance to cut to the chase, but after a little while our client decides to jump in and make a speech. (Visualize me cringing.)

Now I should give you a picture of our client. Very nice lady who pays our bills on time and all, but probably one of the most unreasonable and difficult people anyone has ever had to deal with. She is about 4'10" and fat with closely cropped, bright red hair. We privately call her the bowling ball.

She's not happy with how little the other side is willing to compromise in the first 15 minutes of our discussion, so she launches into this long (and somewhat inaccurate) speech about the merits of the case.

The other side sits and listens to her patiently. Then their lead lawyer says that, while we had agreed not to talk about the merits, she felt the need to respond to the speech by our client. At some point in her speech, she says (as lawyers often do at these events) that our claims are"frivolous." My boss and I look over at our client, and she is turning BRIGHT RED. I swear that you could see the steam starting to come out of her ears.

Suddenly she jumps up and SCREAMS at the other side:

GET OUT!

My boss and I look at each other incredulously, and we see the lawyers from the other side looking at each other the same way. Their lead lawyer says, "Excuse me?" And our client says, "You'd better get out right now or this meeting is OVER!"

I'll never forget the looks on opposing counsels' faces as they pondered this demand to leave their own conference room. But they got up and went to another conference room.

Then our client says, "I am so glad I've been going to therapy for anger management. I've learned that whenever I'm about to get angry, I need to take a break and reassess things and then start over. Boy, I am so proud of the way I handled that."

My boss and I are looking at each other dumbfounded, wanting to laugh but restrained by decorum.

So I then had the duty of going out to calm down the other side and try to get discussions started again.

Later in the day, we settled the case.
Old 04-06-2004, 20:57   #8
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Zzzz! Uh?
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
Old 04-06-2004, 21:30   #9
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Just kidding - great story! I have been in some boardroom meetings where I honestly could not believe those people were grownups. LOL.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
Old 04-06-2004, 21:39   #10
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

RL, it was amusing.
Old 04-06-2004, 21:43   #11
CPTAUSRET
Gun Pilot

Well, I liked it:

Terry
Old 04-06-2004, 22:08   #12
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Not bad, thanks Captain Counsel.

Did she fail to grasp the concept that in dealing with lawyers, time is money?

I would have liked to tell her just how many thousand dollars her little tirade cost, and see her reaction to that.

I guess we can't top that one, NDD....

TR

Old 04-06-2004, 22:12   #13
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Terry:

Took this one for you a couple of weeks ago.

TR
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2004_0326_113546aabc.jpg (16.0 KB, 224 views)

Old 04-06-2004, 22:18   #14
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

Quote:
Not bad, thanks Captain Counsel.

Did she fail to grasp the concept that in dealing with lawyers, time is money?

I would have liked to tell her just how many thousand dollars her little tirade cost, and see her reaction to that.

I guess we can't top that one, NDD....

TR
The ironic thing is that her demonstration of craziness probably scared the other side a little and helped get the case settled.

NDD already has topped my story twice. Is it now your turn?

Last edited by Roguish Lawyer; 04-06-2004 at 22:21.
Old 04-06-2004, 22:26   #15
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally posted by Roguish Lawyer
The ironic thing is that her demonstration of craziness probably scared the other side a little and helped get the case settled.

NDD already has topped my story twice. Is it now your turn?
LOL - "Take the deal right now or we'll go get the crazy bowling ball bitch."
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?