Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > UWOA > Terrorism

Old 05-18-2008, 06:52   #1
fwill794
Quiet Professional

Michael Scheure's latest book

I finished Michael Scheure's latest book "Marching Toward Hell America and Islam after Iraq" and was wondering what others thought of his assessment. I have read his other work and have always thought he was very knowledgable and a real patriot. Just wondering what others thought.

fwill794
fwill794 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 09:09   #2
x-factor
Guerrilla

I haven't read it yet, but its on my list.

I read "Imperial Hubris" and thought it was very good, generally speaking, but that sometimes he took things a little too far because he has/had an ax to grind.

He's teaching a class on Al Qaeda at Georgetown this coming semester that I might take.

X
x-factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 14:48   #3
Sidewinder6
Asset

I have read his book and earlier ones as well.

Having lived and worked in the Mid East off and on the last 20 years alot of what he says about the cultural differences and our lack of understanding as a nation is spot on.

I think he also brought out some valid points about the decisions this country has made the last 30 years regarding our allies in the region.

That said, I also thought some of the material was presented specifically for academics and had a theatrical tone replaying the role he assumes in a university program acting out as an AQ intel type.

The guy is well read on the subjects he addresses and had a good perch for him to get his homework done when developing his views. If you also consider some of the writings Robert Baer (who also spent a career in the region) produced, one would get the impression Mr. Scheure might be on to something that is cause for further discussion if we could ever get around the media bias that spins even the simplest of news stories.

Last edited by Sidewinder6; 05-20-2008 at 14:56.
Sidewinder6 is offline   Reply With Quote