Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > UWOA > Terrorism

Old 03-20-2004, 13:42   #1
Roguish Lawyer
Consigliere

Richard Clarke to Attack Bush on 60 Mins

http://www.drudgereport.com/flash60.htm

FORMER WHITE HOUSE TERROR ADVISER SET TO BREAK SILENCE ON '60 MINS'; SAYS PRESIDENT ISN’T DOING VERY GOOD JOB FIGHTING TERRORISM
Fri Mar 19 2004 17:49:30 ET
**Updated** Sat Mar 20 2004 09:52:43 ET

President Bush’s former top terrorism advisor says the president isn’t doing the best job fighting terrorism. The former advisor, Richard Clarke, discusses this and other observations he made while he was a White House insider in an interview with Lesley Stahl to be broadcast on 60 MINUTES Sunday March 21 (7:00-8:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network.

“Frankly, I find it outrageous that the president is running for re-election on the grounds that he’s done such great things about terrorism,” says Clarke in tomorrow night’s interview. “He ignored it. He ignored terrorism for months, when maybe we could have done something to stop 9/11. Maybe. We’ll never know,” he tells Stahl.

Clarke tells Stahl that on September 11, 2001 and the day after - when it was clear Al Qaeda had carried out the terrorist attacks - the Bush administration was considering bombing Iraq in retaliation.

Clarke was surprised that the attention of administration officials was turning toward Iraq when he expected the focus to be on Al Qaeda and Osama bin Laden. "They were talking about Iraq on 9/11. They were talking about it on 9/12," says Clarke.

The top counter-terrorism advisor, Clarke was briefing the highest government officials, including President Bush and Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld, in the aftermath of 9/11. "Rumsfeld was saying we needed to bomb Iraq....We all said, 'but no, no. Al Qaeda is in Afghanistan," recounts Clarke, "and Rumsfeld said, 'There aren't any good targets in Afghanistan and there are lots of good targets in Iraq.' I said, 'Well, there are lots of good targets in lots of places, but Iraq had nothing to do with [the 9/11 attacks],'" he tells Stahl.

Clarke goes on to explain what he believes was the reason for the focus on Iraq. "I think they wanted to believe that there was a connection [between Iraq and Al Qaeda] but the CIA was sitting there, the FBI was sitting there, I was sitting there, saying, 'We've looked at this issue for years. For years we've looked and there's just no connection,'" says Clarke.

Clarke, who advised four presidents, reveals more about the current administration's reaction to terrorism in his new book, "Against All Enemies."

Developing...
Roguish Lawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2004, 18:15   #2
Gypsy
Area Commander

Re: Richard Clarke to Attack Bush on 60 Mins

Quote:
Originally posted by Roguish Lawyer

Developing...
Indeed...especially since the former POTUS surely must have heard much of the same terrorist chatter but chose to do nothing for the previous 8 years. Wonder why he chose not to enlighten the masses on clintoon's reaction to terrorism.

He's got an agenda...including a new book in print. It will be interesting to see how "fair and unbiased" Ms. Stahl's questions are.
Old 03-22-2004, 04:18   #3
Radar Rider
Guerrilla Chief

I don't buy it. He's just trying to sell his book. He continually stated in the interview, "there's no evidence" of ties between Iraq and Al Qaeda. Now, I know a little bit about intelligence, and for him to come out and say what he's saying is pretty much revealing more than he is authorized to talk about. Anyone that deals with intelligence should be familiar with the statement "I can neither confirm nor deny....". I'm getting pretty sick of guys like he that claim the FBI and CIA knew all about 911 and the terrorists. What he's doing is treasonous during a time of war.
Radar Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 05:09   #4
Solid
Guerrilla Chief

Waitasec... I thought that several documents were found linking the head of AQ's operations (cripple, can't remember his name) with the Republican Guard and Saddam's govt? Was that repudiated?

Thanks,

Solid
Solid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 11:53   #5
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Thumbs down CBS NEWS = NO CREDITABILITY!

Worthless media strikes again. Can you say NO creditability.

NEWS FOR SALE: CBS PUSHED BOOK IT OWNS; '60 MINUTES' DID NOT REVEAL PARENT COMPANY'S FINANCIAL STAKE IN CLARKE PROJECT

CBSNEWS did not inform its viewers last night that its parent company owns and has a direct financial stake in the success of the book by former White House terror staffer turned Bush critic, Dick Clarke, the DRUDGE REPORT can reveal.

60 MINUTES aired a double-segment investigative report on the new book "Against All Enemies" -- but did not disclose how CBSNEWS parent VIACOM is publishing the book and will profit from any and all sales!

ETHICAL BREACH

CBS even used heavy promotion for the 60 MINUTES/book launch during its Sunday sports shows.

It is not clear who made the final decision at CBSNEWS not to inform the viewer during 60 MINUTES how they were watching a news story about a VIACOM product.

60 MINUTES pro Lesley Stahl is said to have been aware of the conflict before the program aired.

http://www.drudgereport.com/cbsrc.htm
Old 03-22-2004, 12:36   #6
Gypsy
Area Commander

Why does this not surprise me? Clarke's timing and that of CBS, let alone the information posted by the TS, is suspect to say the least.
Old 03-23-2004, 02:22   #7
Radar Rider
Guerrilla Chief

Team Sergeant, thank you for posting that. Everyone has a motivation, and in this case I really believe that Clarke's is money (if not ideological, in his own twisted world). CBS and 60 minutes obviously have their own agenda; this one gets them a two for one. They get to bad mouth the President, and make some money. The first goal I find to be utterly reprehensible. The second, I disagree with only because of the way they are going about it.

Clarke has retired, wants to pad his nest egg, and I barely trust career bureaucrats anyway. I say he's full of shit.
Radar Rider is offline   Reply With Quote