Old 02-05-2013, 08:43   #16
sinjefe
Quiet Professional

I now subscribe to the "Dusty effect'. Hunkering down in my bunker and waiting for the apocolypse.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:48   #17
Richard
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinjefe View Post
You have to live by your principals.
Not me - I was wild as a dry August wind and always wanted to live as far away from my 'principals' as possible.

Richard
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:51   #18
Dusty
RIP Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinjefe View Post
I now subscribe to the "Dusty effect'. Hunkering down in my bunker and waiting for the apocolypse.
"Imitation is the sincerest forum of flattery."
Old 02-05-2013, 09:05   #19
Old Dog New Trick
Quiet Professional

There will not be equality and a sexless military until everyone is treated the same and comfortable with co-Ed everything.

As long as we have "Men" and "Women" seperate latrines and shower facilities and a different physical fitness standard to define "qualified" there will be issues with men and women serving in specific roles together.

There is no reason not to expect that many will suffer and some will die, so that a few can achieve some fantasy about what equality is and is not.

There may be roles for women in combat units and those should be defined with tests and qualifications that differ from their male counterparts but do not disrupt the natural order of things.

JMO

ETA: We have and have had women in SF (support roles) for years, they perform their duties with great enthusiasm and professionalism. Some would even be an asset in the field but those roles are limited and very specific.

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” (Sir Edmund Burke)
Old Dog New Trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:32   #20
mark46th
Quiet Professional

My sister in law was the Athletic Director at a school here in California when Title IX passed, dictating that both men's and women's athletic teams had to have equal facilities, funding, etc.

I asked her if this meant women could try out for men's teams, she said yes.

I asked her if I could try out for her women's softball team, she said no and couldn't tell me (or admit) why...

There are no women playing in the NFL, the NBA, MLB or NHL for a reason...

Last edited by mark46th; 02-05-2013 at 09:45.
mark46th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:05   #21
1stindoor
Quiet Professional

Which also begs the question...why do our fearless leaders need all female FETs and CSTs? Why can't a male join those two units? Is my testosterone level too high? I think men should be allowed the option of going out for the CSTs and FETs.
-TOMAHAWK9521
1stindoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 13:06   #22
mark46th
Quiet Professional

Since when did equality, cultural sensitivity and gender have anything to do with logic?
mark46th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 15:33   #23
Razor
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by afchic View Post
Feel free to correct me if I am wrong, but weren't those teams put together because of cultural sensitivity in the AOR?
That's correct. Now, if we flip the circumstances, how effective will a female infantry company commander be at conducting a shura with a local Afghani tribal elder? Nowadays, SF aren't the only ones out in the wild building rapport and partnerships, and there are a heck of a lot of cultures around the world where women are treated far less than equal.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 18:45   #24
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

I hear women complaining, with some regularity, that all of the real men are gone, and men don't act like men anymore.

Then I hear my Chief of Staff saying that in order to get women into units where they do not meet the standards, the units will have to reevaluate and justify those standards.

What do you think has happened to the boys who wanted to be men?

Eventually, this is going to get a lot of people hurt.

For those of you unfamiliar with it, there was a combat load study of a "light infantry" unit in the box, and their measured loads ranged between 125 and 145 pounds per man, at significant altitude, for days on end. Any women I know who could physically lift that load (less strength, especially upper body), could not sustain it for as long as the men (lower aerobic capacity), and would suffer permanent damage to their bodies (lower bone density).

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 18:47   #25
scooter
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
That's correct. Now, if we flip the circumstances, how effective will a female infantry company commander be at conducting a shura with a local Afghani tribal elder? Nowadays, SF aren't the only ones out in the wild building rapport and partnerships, and there are a heck of a lot of cultures around the world where women are treated far less than equal.
I can imagine VERY few places in the 5th Group AOR that would react well to a female Detachment Commander showing up to meet with a counterpart military commander.
scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 19:04   #26
BKKMAN
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post
I hear women complaining, with some regularity, that all of the real men are gone, and men don't act like men anymore.

Then I hear my Chief of Staff saying that in order to get women into units where they do not meet the standards, the units will have to reevaluate and justify those standards.

Eventually, this is going to get a lot of people hurt.

For those of you unfamiliar with it, there was a combat load study of a "light infantry" unit in the box, and their measured loads ranged between 125 and 145 pounds per man, at significant altitude, for days on end. Any women I know who could physically lift that load (less strength, especially upper body), could not sustain it for as long as the men (lower aerobic capacity), and would suffer permanent damage to their bodies (lower bone density).

TR
These?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ModernWarriorsCombatLoadReport.pdf (852.9 KB, 156 views)
File Type: pdf soldiers-load.pdf (1.14 MB, 95 views)

It is not inequality which is the real misfortune, it is dependence. Voltaire

Last edited by BKKMAN; 02-05-2013 at 19:08. Reason: Added MCOE .pdf
BKKMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:58   #27
MtnGoat
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post

Eventually, this is going to get a lot of people hurt.TR
Well I'll say, even if USASFC brings back the SF yearly certification, this wouldn't help Groups or the Regiment in a cause. The standards will be changed and arms/hands tied.

History teaches that when you become indifferent and lose the will to fight someone who has the will to fight will take over."

COLONEL BULL SIMONS

Intelligence failures are failures of command [just] as operations failures are command failures.”
MtnGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:26   #28
1stindoor
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
Thanks for the assist...and it was my point exactly. Growing up in 7th SFG was another prime example of why women on teams wouldn't being accepted.
-TOMAHAWK9521
1stindoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 15:45   #29
Snaquebite
Area Commander

Couldn't resist

womens.jpg

"If one day you decide to know yourself...you'll have to choose the warrior path...You'll reach the darkness of your spirit.... Then, if you overcome your fears....You will know who you are."

"De Oppresso Liber"

Last edited by Snaquebite; 02-06-2013 at 17:25.
Snaquebite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 17:29   #30
Dusty
RIP Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaquebite View Post
Couldn't resist

Attachment 24222
lol Made my day.