BMT (RIP)
Quiet Professional

If Obama Loses

http://www.slate.com/id/2198397/

BMT
Old 08-23-2008, 10:42   #2
charlietwo
Quiet Professional

ow. ow. my head. I made it three paragraph's in before throwing in the towel. Too... many... logical... loopholes... gah.
charlietwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 10:42   #3
Paslode
Area Commander

I could care less what color he is.

What is important is what comes out of his mouth and how he conducts himself. To this point in the game I haven't heard anything of substance and all I have seen is arrogance.
Old 08-23-2008, 11:33   #4
kgoerz
Quiet Professional

I don't buy Race being the reason for losing. But it will be portrayed that way no matter what. He has 90% of the Black vote. I wonder if Race has anything to do with that. Voting for someone because of his Race is just as Raciest as not voting for him.
Old 08-23-2008, 12:03   #5
Gypsy
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgoerz View Post
I don't buy Race being the reason for losing. But it will be portrayed that way no matter what. He has 90% of the Black vote. I wonder if Race has anything to do with that. Voting for someone because of his Race is just as Raciest as not voting for him.
Spot on...
Old 08-23-2008, 12:14   #6
rubberneck
Area Commander

It is too bad that same pathetic logic doesn't apply to the left. I suppose they are incapable of being racist when voting for a white candidate over a black just as long as the black candidate is a Republican. Michael Steele and Lynn Swan both ran for, and lost, state wide election in 2006. Both lost to white candidates. Obviously they weren't victims of racism.
rubberneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 14:01   #7
Red Flag 1
Area Commander

Quote:

Yup!!

RF 1
Red Flag 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 14:43   #8
Richard
Quiet Professional

Unhappy

Quote:
I don't buy Race being the reason for losing.
KG,

Oh, it'll be about race all right...because that's the game BHO plays--that has gotten him to where he is now--and, because he knows no better, he's going to either win or lose by it. Otherwise why is he foolishly evoking race time after time?

IMO, his problems with race have nothing to do with his half-African ancestry or his own experience with racism and unfairness (), but boil down to his deftly wanting it both ways, reminding the Europeans he is a different sort of American from what they're used to (which is patently false as they know and respect both Rice and Powell well enough) while preempting by suggesting others will evoke race...but in a negative context. And his polls, I think, will continue to decline from all this.

Some points to consider:
  • Voters are hearing constantly about race--from BHO--despite being promised a racially transcendent candidate. But BHO seems obsessed with identity, either accusing others of racism or using heritage himself for political advantage. This is a mistake which will cost him dearly by the time November gets here.
  • He shows the same want-it-both-ways behaviors with odious racists. Rev. Wright is a former spiritual advisor and "brilliant" scholar who nevertheless serially slurs America, whites, Italians, Jews, etc. Ludacris is "a great talent" and "talented" to such an extent BHO wants him in his iPod menu and has met with him--but now also a racist to be shunned. A pattern is emerging--BHO associates with or tolerates racists when such quasi-intimacy cements street-cred as an authentic minority or someone cool in the anti-Bush mode...but then, when they inevitably revert to form, he not merely casts them off but is "shocked" at their usual expression, and so like speed bumps they litter the roadway as he barrels ahead towards the White House.
  • The "typical white person", 'grandma-under-the-bus' riff, Pennsylvania "clingers" rant, 'no more disown Rev. Wright/but now leaving Trinity Church', etc. statements are themselves immaterial, but in toto provide an ever thinning margin of tolerance among Americans when something like Ludacris or BHO's latest accusation of racism surfaces.
  • Right now BHO does not need to solidify his 90% African-American base or the Moveon.org white liberal adherents; but instead he must remember why he lost all those primaries to Hillary and to what degree his campaign since then has addressed those concerns that lost him those electorates. When a West Virginian hears that BHO is accusing others of racism, or hears him promise that 'racial reparations will now be a matter of government deeds not words,' or a rapper brags he is a favorite of BHO and then slurs Clinton, McCain, and Bush in thinly disguised racist terms, it starts to create an image of someone who is not bringing people together...but precisely the opposite.

Why all this racism stuff? Inexperience, experience, and hubris--the same bombastic I am your saviour overconfidence that makes him talk about how we need a Pentagon-sized new civilian aid department, how we need to inflate our tires to avoid drilling, how we need to foster"economic justice,"and how we must stop merely talking about reparations and start doing something about them.

Oh, it's about race all right--but who's the racist in all this?

Richard's $.02
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 15:07   #9
Defender968
SF Candidate

100% agree, I hope the American public wakes up and smells this campaign for what it is.
Defender968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 17:07   #10
Ranger Luna
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defender968 View Post
I hope the American public wakes up
It'll never happen.
Old 08-23-2008, 17:58   #11
abc_123
Quiet Professional

Quote:

You know it. We'll be subjected to enless soundbites from Jesse Jackass and his sidekick Al telling us all about it.

Wonder if there is more money in it for them if he wins or if he loses. In the end it probably doesn't much matter to them either way. I can envision good revenue streams in either case.

Also wonder what the price was/is to have them largely keep their heads down and not interject even more absurdity into the Obama campaign than is already there.
Old 08-23-2008, 19:29   #12
afchic
Area Commander

I am sick and tired of the media saying race is the only reason Obama may lose. I personally think we as a nation have moved way past the "no one will elect a black man for President"

The article suggests that older white voters won't vote for Obama. That of course must mean that it is because he is black, and not because of his inexperience or suggested policies I wonder if the media would be saying the same thing about Colin Powell. Probably not because it is my belief he couldn't lose if he ran. Which in my opinion shows that it isn't about racism but substance.
afchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 04:29   #13
greenberetTFS
Quiet Professional (RIP)

Obamas race issue.....

I believe Richad is right on track.......

GB TFS
I believe that SF is a 'calling' - not too different from the calling missionaries I know received. I knew instantly that it was for me, and that I would do all I could to achieve it. Most others I know in SF experienced something similar. If, as you say, you HAVE searched and read, and you do not KNOW if this is the path for you --- it is not....
Zonie Diver

SF is a calling and it requires commitment and dedication that the uninitiated will never understand......
Jack Moroney

SFA M-2527, Chapter XXXVII
greenberetTFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 06:28   #14
nmap
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
Otherwise why is he foolishly evoking race time after time?
Sir, I wonder - is his tactic foolish, or is it slyly Machiavellian?

I notice that accusations of racism are a powerful and effective manipulative tool. People and organizations will do much to avoid such accusations. For example, about 15 years ago, AT&T published an obscure little item about telephone service. The publication was largely outsourced to a U.S. company. The back page of the publication was a map of the continents of the world, with several small cartoon figures in various locations. So in Central America, there was a figure of a person in a sombrero and a serape. In Africa, the image was a gorilla. Personally, I thought it was a rather cute little figure. Anyway, AT&T was accused of racism. In the end, they fired the company that produced the brochure, ended all publication of the brochure, and apologized to any and all who might have been offended.

Now, let' s switch our view to the Kennedy-Nixon race. Kennedy was Catholic, and at the time the Kennedy camp was concerned that prejudice against Catholics would cause people to vote for Nixon. They counter-tactic used by the Kennedy camp was to suggest that people could prove to themselves that they weren't prejudiced by voting for Kennedy. (All this per my dim recollections). Did the tactic work? I don't know - but Kennedy did get elected, and there is precedent for the tactic.

I suspect BO is using a derivative tactic. He will continue bringing up race so that a portion of the electorate will vote for him in order to prove to themselves that they are not racists.

He won his first race in 1996 by disqualifying all four opponents, including the incumbent. That's looks like the behavior of a cold, calculating political operator. Is use of race as a manipulative tool beyond him? I think not.

Acronym Key:

MOO: My Opinion Only
YMMV: Your Mileage May Vary
ETF: Exchange Traded Fund

Oil Chart

30 year Treasury Bond
nmap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 06:54   #15
bravo22b
Guerrilla

Quote:
McCain represents a Cold War style of nationalism that doesn't get the shift from geopolitics to geoeconomics, the centrality of soft power in a multipolar world
I don't know who Jacob Weisberg (the author of the article) is, and I don't really care, but I think his viewpoint could use some updating on current events.

Maybe he would like to explain to the Russians "the centrality of soft power in a multipolar world".
bravo22b is offline   Reply With Quote