Old 06-11-2019, 08:42   #1
kazh
BANNED USER

Selection advice

Don't piss off the xrays. Cater to their 18-19 yo ego. Selection is not an immaculate process. bitter advice yes. maybe it will help someone. Do not correct them if they are whining they will take it personal. That is all.
kazh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 10:24   #2
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazh View Post
Don't piss off the QP's....

You joined PS.com in Nov 2009
Your 1st post was Jul 2013 about your UCMJ machinations & tribulations
Now this little nugget.

You need to execute some immediate action drills.

1)post an introduction
2)find and read "The message to Garcia"
3)read the Welcome note by TS https://www.professionalsoldiers.com...read.php?t=474
4)think before you post, think of your post as a short(very short) story. If someone reads it will they understand WTH you're talking about..

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 11:10   #3
Pete
Quiet Professional

Wonder what the X-Rays thought of you?

I don't think they were huddled at your feet like a pack of puppies drooling for your sage advice.

Respect is earned and a two way street.

You get to a team you may find an X-Ray younger than you who has been on the team a while and is respected by the rest of the team.

You'll be the new guy with an attitude. Hmmm.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 11:36   #4
Box
Quiet Professional

Hm...
I also have some selection advice:

-Don't piss off the cadre. Cater to their ego since they have already been assessed and selected and have earned the right to display whatever level of ego they choose when interacting with candidates.
-Selection is not intended to be an immaculate process - it is meant to be dirty and ambiguous. It is not designed to build your character - it is designed to reveal your character.

bitter advice ?
yes. maybe it will help someone.

Do not correct the the cadre - you aren't there to provide input, you are only there to perform a series of random physical tasks. If you attempt to "correct" the cadre, they will entertain themselves with your misery.

Last and certainly not least - be careful how much SFAS advice you take from those that have not graduated from the SFQC - choose instead to take advice on how to complete the process from people that have completed the process.

That is all.
Opinions stated in this post are solely those of the author, and in no way reflect the opinions or policies of The Department of Defense, The United States Army, The Royal Canadian Mounted Police, The Screen Actors Guild, The Boy Scouts, The Good, The Bad, or The Ugly. These opinions are provided purely as overly sarcastic social commentary and are not meant to be used for mission planning or navigation.

"Make sure your own mask is secure before assisting others"
-Airplane Safety Briefing
Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 23:26   #5
kazh
BANNED USER

Thought I had done all that already right before selection. Done. Don't know what my old Post has anything to do with this. There were some cool x-rays. It's a temporary program to augment recruiting though right? Sorry not biting on your baiting. Congrats on being cadre.
Old 06-12-2019, 04:51   #6
Joker
Quiet Professional

The X-ray program has been around since the 1960s under different names, or no names.
Are you still in the Army?
Are you trying to retry for SF?
What do you bring here besides dissent?
Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 09:37   #7
Box
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Thought I had done all that already right before selection. Done. Don't know what my old Post has anything to do with this. There were some cool x-rays. It's a temporary program to augment recruiting though right? Sorry not biting on your baiting. Congrats on being cadre.

I don't just bait - I chum - the results when it gains the attention of some of the more crotchety members of the board is much more fun to watch.

So, since I obviously cant fool you, I'll just engage you with a bit of harmless bulletin board banter...

Quote:
Don't know what my old Post has anything to do with this
If you are referring to your 2013 post about the impact of a summarized AR15 in a selection packet then I would offer the following insight that is used to measure pretty much everyone that walks through a team room door...
-Who is this guy?
-Where did he come from?
-What's his story?

That is one of the reasons the site requires that you post an introduction. Most Team Guys are willing to give people a fresh start but they still want to know "who" they are dealing with. Little things count and patterns of behavior RARELY change once that pattern has been set - so we approach those same three questions in the context of Kazh's 3 posts over the last 6 years...

-Who is this guy? - He is a US Army Air Traffic Controller that has machinations of becoming a Special Forces Soldier. He attended SFAS in 2011 but was not selected.

-Where did he come from? He was on active duty from 2008-2014 and in 2013 showed an interest at attending again but was having trouble with the USAREUR Recruiter.

-What's his story? His 'story' from what we know is that he was non-selected in 2011 for reasons known only to him and the cadre that boarded his packet - he attempted to reapply in 2013 and then he went silent for almost 6 years. In June of 2019 Kazh started a new thread that was critical of the behavior and professionalism of the SFAS Cadre.

So, what does a 2013 bulletin board post have to do with this current thread?
Well - in the absence of a full picture of the operating environment, most SF guys will look for trends. They will analyze patterns of behavior and existing facts to see if a reasonable association can be made to help fill in knowledge gaps.

This is what I have came up with so far...
Two years after attending SFAS - the original poster in this thread got an AR15 for some random minor UCMJ offense - it could have resulted from telling his 1SG to eat a dick, it could have been for missing movement, it could been because he popped hot on a piss test, it could have been for showing up late to PT formation, hell, it could have been for telling his 1SG to go eat a BAG of dicks. Bottom line - it could have been for any number of random minor offenses but shortly after his brush with the UCMJ he decided to reapply for another chance at SFAS.

-There was however, a small speed bump - the USAREUR Recruiter seemed to be misinterpreting the new policy regarding UCMJ issues with SFAS applicants.
It couldn't possibly be that the underlying cause WAS IN FACT a recent Article-15; part of the problem communicated in the 2013 post was that it was someone else's fault - in this case a recruiter that didn't know his job well enough to correctly process the application in a timely manner.

Regardless - after attending SFAS- a process that is known to screen applicants for UCMJ infractions, the original poster found himself in receipt of non-judicial punishment under the Uniformed Code of Military Justice. Since it was a summary AR15, the paperwork was destined to sit in his file for two years or until he left the unit.
Two years is coincidentally the same amount of time the USAREUR recruiter quoted as the "cooling off" period before processing an application process.

Now, here we are 5 years and 11 months later and we see a post from this same person offering advice to those wanting to take a swing at SFAS - his advice = (and I am paraphrasing of course) was -
"be wary of the SFAS cadre, they are unprofessional infantile egomaniacs that only select candidates based on their own sophomoric perception of what an SF guy should be"

Now - one might easily draw the assumption that 'Kazh' had attended selection a second time and that he was not selected. It seems odd that someone would get selected on their second attempt, and then post such an icy critique of the SFAS Cadre.

Quote:
It's a temporary program to augment recruiting though right?
Incorrect.
The program has been around in one form or another at intermittent intervals for almost as long as special forces has been 'a thing' - given that the original poster was quite wrong about the roots of the X-Ray program, it is possible that since he is ill informed about the program, that he is also ill informed on the inner workings of the recruiting, assessment, and selection process.

Quote:
Congrats on being cadre.
I am sure that numerous former and current SWC Cadre members frequenting this bulletin board appreciate the sincerity of your congratulatory nod. On behalf of my brothers in arms that have worked at the various committees across the USAJFKSWCS; thank you for your kind words.

To a few of them (not me), the "Congrats on being cadre" comment following your recent scathing critique of the cadre might be mistaken as a passive-aggressive way of telling them to go fuck themselves. I hope they can see past that context and instead, move forward towards a better understanding of the situation. It is clear from your post that the current crop of instructors at SWC failed to recognize your value to our organization and instead, decided to fuck you over simply because you took the high road and spoke truth to power - even though it exposed to to the unfair treatment that you received.

Just like the USAREUR Recruiter that didn't know his job - the pattern is clear - the current crop of NCO's at SWC are bad at their jobs too.
...I'm sure when you finally arrive at your first ODA, you will most certainly be saddled with a Team Sergeant that doesn't deserve his 3rd rocker, a Team Leader that had to be carried through the SFQC by guys like Kazh, and a Company SGM that should have never even made SFC - much less been given a 'Star'

The truly gifted never seem to get a break in this mans Army.
Opinions stated in this post are solely those of the author, and in no way reflect the opinions or policies of The Department of Defense, The United States Army, The Royal Canadian Mounted Police, The Screen Actors Guild, The Boy Scouts, The Good, The Bad, or The Ugly. These opinions are provided purely as overly sarcastic social commentary and are not meant to be used for mission planning or navigation.

"Make sure your own mask is secure before assisting others"
-Airplane Safety Briefing

Last edited by Box; 06-12-2019 at 09:48.
Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 15:30   #8
kazh
BANNED USER

The intent here joker, I will humor your response since you seem to be one of the most mature here.
Is to inform readers what is already well known in the combat arms community, however is not well known in other branches. Watch out for the xrays. that's it. Sure its not only xrays, anyone really.
I don't know why cadre was brought up. I don't know why old UCMJ is relevant. Big surprise everything on the internet is public.
I just had a thought if I could go back to before I went what advice would I give myself? Of course I also learned what I was made of and always put your best foot forward no matter what. Selection changed my life for the better. However there is also a component of reality. Last I checked I'm on the SFAS topic, I didn't mention SFQC or ODA's. Guess some people cant take ground truth and only want to regurgitate AR's and TCs.
Old 06-12-2019, 15:32   #9
Joker
Quiet Professional

kazh,
I saw that you logged in, read this thread, and logged off. The next time you log in answer these questions.
Old 06-12-2019, 16:30   #10
Pete
Quiet Professional

Quote:
The intent here joker, I will humor your response since you seem to be one of the most mature here.
Is to inform readers what is already well known in the combat arms community, however is not well known in other branches. Watch out for the xrays. that's it. Sure its not only xrays, anyone really.
I don't know why cadre was brought up. I don't know why old UCMJ is relevant. Big surprise everything on the internet is public.
I just had a thought if I could go back to before I went what advice would I give myself? Of course I also learned what I was made of and always put your best foot forward no matter what. Selection changed my life for the better. However there is also a component of reality. Last I checked I'm on the SFAS topic, I didn't mention SFQC or ODA's. Guess some people cant take ground truth and only want to regurgitate AR's and TCs.
Seems you want to blame the X Rays for all your failings.

And to the "well known" in the Combat Arms Community can be traced back to those who didn't make the cut. Usually starts with "Yeah, I was there but I quit because it's was all bull shit."

You are sill continuing with the passive aggressive line.
Old 06-12-2019, 16:42   #11
HardRoad
Quiet Professional

Location: Georgia, Florida and North Carolina (its complicated)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
Seems you want to blame the X Rays for all your failings.

And to the "well known" in the Combat Arms Community can be traced back to those who didn't make the cut. Usually starts with "Yeah, I was there but I quit because it's was all bull shit."

You are sill continuing with the passive aggressive line.

Box provided him with a really first class ass-chewing / teachable moment / azimuth check. If he didn't read and heed that, he's probably not teachable. Just be glad he didn't slip through the cracks at Selection.
HardRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 16:59   #12
Joker
Quiet Professional

Quote:
The last time I checked the Army combat arms are the infantry, cavalry, and artillery. Not air traffic controllers. I will give some of the Air Force CCT folks as combat arms as they are with SF on some very hairy objectives. You aren't/weren't.

Prove us wrong, go to a recruiter and sign-up for SFAS or stop sniveling and lose your BS attitude.

Be aware that there a quite a few "SF babies" (before the 18 MOS) here.

Still waiting for:
Are you still in the Army?
Are you trying to retry for SF?
What do you bring here besides dissent?
Old 06-12-2019, 18:04   #13
kazh
BANNED USER

I never said "I" was combat arms did I? There you have it folks. That is the entitlement attitude I am talking about. X-rays are gods amongst men According to these gentlemen. Baiting (chumming) an outburst to have a reason to delete this. Personal upon person attack in order to discredit. Still just talking about selection not the Q or downrange. I finished selection boss. I did my job downrange. If I have to grovel to some 18 yo you can keep it. I already said this was not meant for "dissent" but caution.
Old 06-12-2019, 18:09   #14
kazh
BANNED USER

Let me add I have zero idea where I mentioned cadre. In order for me to process an "ass chewing" it has to be relevant to the topic at hand. I don't think I'm on the cadre page I think I'm on the SFAS page.
Old 06-12-2019, 18:48   #15
Pete
Quiet Professional

Dude, you just don't get it.