Old 08-20-2013, 15:47   #16
TrapperFrank
Quiet Professional

Accept it for what it is an opportunity you would never have had in the Corps. I have served with many Marines. In fact, Beef and I were in the same company at one time. I listened to the Marines in the Q course and applied what they told me. That being said. go there and do the very best you can. SF is a totally different ball game than the Marine Corps.
TrapperFrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 16:43   #17
SF_BHT
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by aubreyna View Post
I think the issue that I am having hard time grasping is the basic is designed to break down an individual to create a foundation that understands the purpose of the military.

Now of course Parris Island will differ because PI is only designed to create a basic Marine. OSUT is designed to create a basic rifleman. I would assume that having prior service infantry would interfere with the DS progress. Now I am obviously wrong with the comments from above. I by no mean, believe I "rate" anything extra or that I am can not learn more of the basics.
If you are scheduled for OSUT then that is better. They will do basic/AIT together and you will be spending all your time becoming an 11b. It sucks with basic then ship over and do your MOS. breath deeply and learn the Army way. It ain't perfect but it works.

Enjoy......
SF_BHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 02:47   #18
Divemaster
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by aubreyna View Post
I think the issue that I am having hard time grasping is the basic is designed to break down an individual to create a foundation that understands the purpose of the military.

Now of course Parris Island will differ because PI is only designed to create a basic Marine. OSUT is designed to create a basic rifleman. I would assume that having prior service infantry would interfere with the DS progress. Now I am obviously wrong with the comments from above. I by no mean, believe I "rate" anything extra or that I am can not learn more of the basics.
Don't over think it. Just do it and become a soldier and perhaps a member of our Regiment, or stay home and be a proud former Marine.
Old 08-24-2013, 08:37   #19
Cass
Asset

Prior Service to Active

I sat down with a recruiter last week to discuss going active under the 18X program, as I am currently in the Guard. I was told that I must attend 11B OSUT, but would be 'averaged in'. This is a process where they assess your PT, TIS, TIG, general knowledge, etc and decide where you belong in the training. I was told I would likely start after the 'basic' portion finished, but before they started MOS training. I hope this helps and that I am not out of my lane.
Cass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 13:17   #20
brolic
Asset

Gentlemen,

I, too, am in the same position. Former Marine Infantryman 0311, working on picking up my 18x contract currently. I searched and found this thread in hopes any of you had any updated information on PS infantry still being required to attend OSUT or not. My recruiter seemed unsure and was unable to provide any information currently. Any QP advice is appreciated.
Old 01-30-2017, 15:15   #21
Prospect6
SF Candidate

I prefer to hardly post. Only read read and reread on this site. But I wanted to share a very small pearl of wisdom for the guys about to venture into OSUT as a prior service 18x. I am currently training through the Q and observe daily the do's and dont's of keeping your head up and your nose clean. I hope I am not out of line by sharing a very important tip.

When I first signed up as an 18x I too was originally dismayed at the idea of doing the "beginner stuff" over again. I went through the basic training the second time and at the time, with the exception of lots of range time, saw little benefit... until I reported to Bragg in a bus full of fresh Airborne OSUT graduates that were now my peers. They were now classmates, and I now think of a lot of them as brothers.

Never look down on your classmates no matter what phase of training you are in. Day 1 OSUT, the guy you decide to laugh at may end up your TS at SUT. And remember the GOLDEN RULE, always.

Just a few seconds here or there helping a new soldier with a ruck, or prepping gear, or checking LES's, etc. Little things that you wouldn't think about. A few seconds for you, little do you realize made a world of difference for them.
You will eventually fall into a group where you feel like you can connect with people on a 'been there done that' level. But don't ever turn your back on young guys. And don't show up with the holier than now attitude either, cuz I've seen smart, physically dominant guys dominate themselves with their attitudes.

Good luck. Everyday I wake up, I'm happy to be here. Always sore, but always happy.

Last edited by Prospect6; 01-30-2017 at 15:18.
Prospect6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 15:51   #22
blue02hd
Quiet Professional

Prospect6,,
Great advice! Good post. Now get to the finish line,,,,

Verified Tax Payer and Future Sex Symbol
blue02hd is offline   Reply With Quote