Go Back   Professional Soldiers > The Bear Pit > PT/ H2H

Old 10-04-2007, 18:39   #121
x-factor
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onuma View Post
Technology is great, but occasionally it's a one-step-forward, two-steps-back kinda thing. Footwear can be excellent for protection, but not always as good for performance, imho.
I would tend to agree, at least for sprinting. I used to run my 40 barefoot. Maybe its psychosomatic, but I swear it cut a full tenth off.

X
x-factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 18:51   #122
HQ6
Guerrilla

I lifted, power walked, and did the elliptical through out my pregnancy with number two, so I am not having as much trouble recouping this time, but I have definitely kicked up my PT a few notches:

Monday - Lift, step aerobics (I know girly), and kickboxing
Tuesday - Abs, gluts, and thighs, jog 2-3 miles, and spin (I know girly again, but we do get some team guys in the class too)
Wednesday - Lift, step aerobics, and jogging 2-3 miles
Thursday - Kickboxing and spin
Friday - Lift, spin, step aerobics
Saturday - Lift, spin, jogging 2-3 miles
Sunday - Rest

The weekends the better half and I go biking on the trails, shooting, and/or "rucking." Well, sort of rucking He carries a 70 pound ruck, and I carry our 37 pound toddler in the Kelty.
Old 10-05-2007, 10:25   #123
booker
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by NousDefionsDoc View Post
I like burpees. Alot. The studs don't seem to care for them much - probably has something to do with the vest.

What's a flying burpee?

It was introduced to me by Mark Twight. Execute a burpee per the usual course of events, but on the jump, instead of going up, execute a broad jump. Set a distance (50m, etc) and go at it. Do it for time, for distance, for distance during a set time, etc. It takes some of the monotony out of high rep burpees. Works really well with farmers carries and sled drags.
Old 10-05-2007, 10:41   #124
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

What's "high rep burpees"?
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 10:42   #125
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
They don't have to be overly dynamic, brother. So long as you continue doing whatever exercise you're doing for the full 20 sec, and its not a really slow movement, you'll get the hurts-so-good effect.
Roger, I shall try it. Many thanks.
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 12:09   #126
booker
Guerrilla

Some say 25 is high rep, I refer to 100+ as high rep (does not necessarily need to be continuous, but still within one workout session) due to the impact on the lower back.
Old 10-05-2007, 14:50   #127
booker
Guerrilla

I've only heard this second hand, haven't experienced it myself, but over time the thrusting action of the legs causes the back (if not compensated via abdominal pressure) to "jar" (i.e., belly button moves toward the ground too much. I'm not an exercise phys person, so I'm not sure what to call this motion). The way I see it high rep anything over the long term will probably result in some sort of injury, so why not spruce things up?
Old 10-06-2007, 23:57   #128
ccrn
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onuma View Post
Those Vibram five fingers shoes are just enough to protect your foot from a stray pebble or small shard of glass, etc, but still convey the feeling of barefoot running.

Do you also do much true barefoot running without the VIbrams to compare?

And do those run true to size or larger or smaller? Im thinking those might be handy during the winter months which around my parts could be described as...bitter-
ccrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 00:44   #129
S3Project
Asset

Not the one you asked, but since I own some...

Vibram has a sizing conversion on their website. http://vibramfivefingers.com/

It works for MOST people...but the store I ordered from said sizing returns on the 5-fingers were about ~20-25%...usual return rates are 2%. Finding a store and trying them on would be your best bet, if possible. Some REIs stock them. Vibram has a store locator, too.

I usually wear a 10-10.5 in running shoes, but wear a 41 Sprint.

I ordered 42 Classics, but they were too big. Tightening the shock cord made them more secure, at the cost of pain from the cord cutting into my skin.

The 41 are about right - maybe a little on the small side in a toe or two. The 5-Fingers tend to be looser in the heels than the toes. I personally prefer the Sprints over the Classics...the strap secures them quite nicely, and I find them to be more comfortable. I did not like the elastic on the Classics.

Injinji socks are good if you want socks with 'em.

Last edited by S3Project; 10-07-2007 at 00:46.
S3Project is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 23:14   #130
William Shears
Asset

I have been doing hill and stair intervals with my IBA and toy SAPI plates I filled with sand to simulate the plates I have not yet been issued. This solution is working great for me in lieu of real plates to PT with. I am also constructing a metal tube filled with rebar to simulate my SAW.

I don't know how new that is for most people, but the Marines in my unit were shocked that I was doing anything other than the recommended "3 miles 3 times a week + Gold's Gym membership."
William Shears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 19:19   #131
Onuma
SF Candidate

CCRN:

I used to run "true" barefoot back in high school and college, but occassionally you still catch a rock, nail, shard of glass, etc. even while running where there really shouldn't be some of those foreign items.

I have a size 14 foot, so I had to order largest available size (47). I think my measurement was 12.25", and the chart was pretty darn accurate to how it fits. If my feet were ANY larger I'd be SOL. If you have an oddly shaped foot or if your 2nd toe is longer than your big toe, you may have some trouble with the fit.

I think for your situation, if you can find the proper size, you could definitely make use of these. Also, you may want to consider wearing those "toe socks" with the fivefingers. The inner stitched seam of the fivefingers toes can sometimes irritate you, and the socks could help alleviate this problem (or just get uber calouses).

Toe socks:
http://www.sock-dreams.com/_shop/pag...ductID_376.php

I hope that helps!
Old 11-08-2007, 15:18   #132
Razor
Quiet Professional

Warning: Personal results follow; YMMV

So after losing a good deal of muscle mass and strength last year due to illness, I decided to try a different exercise routine than I have used before. Instead of strength-training centric (with moderate cardio mixed in) 3 days a week, I've gone to lighter resistance weight training (using more dumbells to also work supporting muscles) in a "power" routine (performing the concentric movements as quickly as safely possible), mixed with a day a week of primarily bodyweight resistance (sometimes in Tabata intervals). I still do heavy weights for the major muscle groups, but only once every week to week and a half. I go as heavy as possible to complete 4 sets of 5 reps. I also work in at least two days of cardio/week for at least 45 minutes a session (to include heavy bag work).

I mention all this, as I've found that I've quickly recovered (and now surpassed) my peak strength level from before I got sick, but am not carrying the extra bulk/bodyweight I had at that time. My power moves have improved, I feel better overall, and have more agility and flexibility.

I've done bodyweight only exercise in the past as an experiment, and found that my endurance (measured by push-up performance in the APFT) actually decreased, so I realized I had to include weight training in my overall regimen. What I've found with this latest experiment is that I can keep my raw strength where I want it without as frequent gym trips as I previously thought necessary, allowing me to work other aspects of fitness more often to maintain overall health.

Again, this seems to have worked for me; you have to do your own experimenting to find the routine that works best for your body.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 11:50   #133
REMFlt
Auxiliary

Nothing new under the sun...

Doing PT 5 days a week and lifting heavy M,W,F, sprinting T,R, and climbing ropes every day. Being a single dad right now (wife is in the sandbox), cuts down on my time in the evenings, occasionally strap on a ruck and push the stroller. Used the "Cheat to Lose Diet" to drop down from 180 to 166, which really helped my run times.

Cast or Tab
REMFlt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 15:47   #134
outofwater
Asset

I searched the thread for a site I was recently turned onto and didn't come up with any results, so I'd like to offer it up, hopefully I din't miss a post about it somewhere along the way. The site is www.fatalfitness.com, it's very similair to CrossFit, things of that nature. It's a site pretty dedicated to servicemen/women, and hardcore fitness enthusiasts. It's nothing insanely original, but there are some good variations of classics. A good site for those with an eclectic approach to PT.
outofwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 08:21   #135
bluenote
Asset

Barefoot Running MB Marathon

For the guys in the Vibram/Barefoot Running discussion several posts back:

http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/sea...ry/352935.html

An 11 year old kid ran the half-marathon in Myrtle Beach, barefoot, with a time of 1:38:54 on Saturday. The roads here have broken glass, construction debris, pebbles, etc. He said he didn't have a problem.

Also if there is a recruiter here, the winner of the 5K on Friday was a 16 year old kid with a time of 16:46. Sign that kid up in a year or two. BN
bluenote is offline   Reply With Quote