Go Back   Professional Soldiers > The Bear Pit > PT/ H2H

Old 02-18-2008, 17:45   #136
stanley_white
Auxiliary

I finally picked up a Body Opponent Bag or BOB to replace my heavy bag.

http://www.amazon.com/Century-Body-O...3377872&sr=8-1

I feel like an idiot for not discovering the BOB earlier. Since it has facial features it is much easier to practice eye strikes, cupped hand blows, and chin jabs vice using regular boxing gloves and practicing straight punches on a heavy bag.

I am doing ten rounds, two minutes each, with two minutes of rest between rounds, twice a week.

I am going to drop the rest rounds by 15 seconds each week until I am down to 30 seconds between rounds.

The only downside to a BOB is I had a hard time trying to figure out how to weight down my hands for more of a workout. When I used a heavy bag I would do this same drill but with 16 oz gloves on my hands.

I just ordered a set of these Palmgard Weighted Batting Gloves which come with 12 ounces of weight and can be upgraded to 16. I am going to use these gloves for the weight and see how it goes.

http://www.amazon.com/Palmgard-Power.../dp/B000ITL9LW

Last edited by stanley_white; 02-18-2008 at 17:53.
stanley_white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 08:45   #137
Blitzzz (RIP)
Quiet Professional

Blitz exercise method

Guys I have an exercise system like no other in the world. I invented/ stumbled on it 14 years ago and work/tweaked it to it's present form. I have used it to rehab wounded troops at Ft Campbell for 4 years. I really need to sell it to some pro team, but in the meantime I give this to friends and anyone who is willing to keep training records. The system will increase life time best strength by 20+% and double muscular endurance. It is the only system that will do this. It does this without pain, without tendon or ligament strains. It's called "The Blitz", guess why. I'm alway willing to provide a copy plus instruction. I would like to get it to the Groups as a program. I should rename it "bulletproofing". Blitz

New edit: This is the Blitz like in PS.com http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/files/workout.pdf

There is no better system for personal power and endurance . Blitz

To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.
Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by Blitzzz (RIP); 12-01-2008 at 08:05.
Blitzzz (RIP) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 12:10   #138
Rob_0811
Auxiliary

I finally recoverd from a back injury sustained in Iraq and am starting an MMA program at Guy Metzger's gym here in Dallas.

I'm excited about it, as my ground work sucks right now. They're also incorporating Muay Thai as a part of the program. Sounds fun.

I'll report back on the experience, maybe other DFW members would be interested.
Rob_0811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 09:02   #139
Rob_0811
Auxiliary

Well if anyone is interested here is a very short assement of Guy Mezger's Combat Sports club.

Very professional. Very helpful. Lots of hard work.

I like it.

the end.
Old 11-26-2008, 23:15   #140
Lmmsoat
Asset

Core Performance

I heard Mark Verstegen mentioned a while back in this thread.

http://www.coreperformance.com/

He has been in the performance training arena for years. He stresses injury prevention in order to make yourself a better athlete. He believes that the majority of the plateus we hit while training are due to minor injuries. His workout programs are well thought out and based on his years of working with professional athletes. Pro teams from across the US and the globe send their athletes to his facility in AZ for fitness training.

My feelings on crossfit are mixed. I've been saying for years the army needs to move twards battle focused/functional PT. The problem I see with crossfit is the lack of training. I've seen more guys damage themselves due to improper form than with a traditional PT program. Olympic power lifters perfect their form from extensive coaching. Another problem I see with crossfit is the "go hard" mentality. I agree intensity is a hallmark of good PT. The problem is the culture that fosters guys to push themselves to make mistakes. Guys will sacrifice form in order to get that last rep in, or to beat their buddies time. For those of you who have the opportunity find a good strength coach from your local collage. Have him instruct you guys on proper lifting. For those of you who are diciples of crossfit, keep an eye out in the gym for the younger guys. They, more than anyone else, will use brute strength to compensate (at the cost of soft tissue damage).
Lmmsoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 17:29   #141
MILON
Guerrilla

Strength Coaches

"For those of you who have the opportunity find a good strength coach from your local collage. Have him instruct you guys on proper lifting." (Lmmsoat)

I may be biased because I am a strength coach, but I can't agree more with Lmmsoat. I have also been saying for years the army needs to change their approach to physical training and that appears to be happening, but slowly. Training soldiers more like the athletes they are is crucial for increasing performance and preventing injuries, which would save the military a ton of money and soldiers a lot of time. Some call Crossfit a fad, but really its just another method that can be worked into anyones training plan.

I have a couple thoughts/suggestions for anyone who does contact a local strength coach.

1. Do the research. I am a first year grad student and I know more than the average person, but the head coach at my college has been doing it for ten years and has trained olympic, professional and college athletes. If a coach like that is willing to work with you, take advantage.

2. Ask the coach what his philosophy is and how he plans a program. I know of coaches who have no plan, direction, or method to their programs. They just throw something up on the white board for every new session. Try to find a coach who has a philosophy, can explain periodization and uses it, tests athletes on a regular basis, and has the experience to coach complicated lifts.

If anyone has any questions regarding strength coaches, physical training, etc. I'd be more than happy to help.

Matt
MILON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 22:10   #142
Blitzzz (RIP)
Quiet Professional

Not anything new.

Matt, I know you're immensely qualified to teach lifting and standard strengthening. I appreciate your efforts to help the troops get in better shape, but none of this is new. It's all the same old systems and can only strengthen the primary and secondary tissue. No system you know will acomplish what the Blitz system does. Not even close. You've never seen it and can't make any comparison.
The Blitz is attainable here and I am available to in service any qualified trainer or coach that is willing to possess an absolute in conditioning. Blitz

Note: If you have a difficult time downloading it from this site, send an E-Mail address to me via PM and I'll send you a copy that way.
Blitz

To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.
Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by Blitzzz (RIP); 12-01-2008 at 08:04.
Blitzzz (RIP) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 09:06   #143
MILON
Guerrilla

Blitzzz,

I downloaded and have a copy. I've been working it into my own training and have found success with it, just as you say. So, I believe you when you say it works and although I dont promote it as much, I certainly would advise anyone who asks to work it into their program.

I still disagree no other system works because its simply limiting yourself when their are so many methods out there. Everything works, for a while, until your body adapts. My own trial and error has taught me that, not necessarily eductaion or a certification.

One correction, for those who may not know. Strength and conditioning coaches teach MUCH more than "lifting technique and standard strengthening". Any good coach will make it a goal to improve human performance in all domains, especially the ones specific to the particular sport, event, or activity. Just didnt want anyone to get the wrong idea.
Old 01-17-2009, 15:10   #144
LawOfTheSea
Asset

Currently researching W.E. Fairbairn, O'Neill, Applegate's close combat methods and trainings.

Gutterfighting.org is an invaluable resource.

Now to find the books...
Old 01-23-2009, 20:03   #145
NousDefionsDoc
Quiet Professional

Paladin Press
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training with minimal food or water, in austere conditions, training day and night. The only thing clean on him is his weapon and he made his web gear. He doesn't worry about what workout to do - his ruck weighs what it weighs, his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. This True Believer is not concerned about 'how hard it is;' he knows either he wins or dies. He doesn't go home at 17:00, he is home.
He knows only The Cause.

Still want to quit?
NousDefionsDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 13:01   #146
frostfire
Area Commander

spear system

(copy and paste)crossfit.com/cf-info/excercise.html#Combatives

Crossfit website has some good stuff on combatives.
- The use of flinch response
- Physiology of extensor vs. flexor
- More dangerous than a fight is an ambush. You don't get to pick time, location, scenario, and so on
- 2-seconds element of an ambush, then transition to your system
- Emotional, psychological, and finally physical aspects
- Situational awareness at ATM, elevator, etc.

nothing new esp. to folks here I'm sure, but he does present it in a succint, effective, idiot-proof manner. I do not know Tony Blauer credential, but I wished I had adopted the system/mindset when I got sucker-punched in a certain 3rd world country backroad. That's when I realized years of Wing Chun practice and being the top student did not amount to much to violent conflict ouside dojo This happened 10 years+ ago but I still remember it like yesterday. Live and learn...

"So we can suffer, and in suffering we know who we are" David Goggins

"Aide-toi, Dieu t'aidera " Jehanne, la Pucelle

Der, der Geld verliert, verliert einiges;
Der, der einen Freund verliert, verliert viel mehr;
Der, der das Vertrauen verliert, verliert alles.

INDNJC

Last edited by frostfire; 02-11-2009 at 13:21. Reason: add website
frostfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 20:14   #147
dmgedgoods
Guerrilla

The Blitz

Currently working the Blitz into my daily routine. The concept makes more sense than most other systems. Finding the right equipment is the most difficult part, but taking what works from the system as a whole is pushing me past what I was doing on a normal level, considering my crazy schedule these days. I plan on just working the whole system for 6-8 weeks, considering it takes minimal time during the day, much like crossfit. I would recommend anybody interested in a different approach to PT improvement to try this system out. I'll post progress soon.

Shawn
Old 02-14-2009, 08:56   #148
Surgicalcric
Quiet Professional

www.mtnathlete.com

I have been giving it a go for the past couple weeks and have been happily getting my arse handed to me with some of their non-standard exercises. At first I didnt think much about it but I am making some fairly substantial gains in the strength without my endurance suffering...

Anyone else giving them a go?

"Its not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me" -Batman

"There are no obstacles, only opportunities for excellence."- NousDefionsDoc
Surgicalcric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 19:54   #149
stanley_white
Auxiliary

Burpee Pull-Ups x 50.

Goal is 100.
Old 02-14-2009, 20:28   #150
MILON
Guerrilla

Just completed a 4 week progression of the following:

3 Set Series Lower Body:

Squat w/ chains (60-75%1RM) 6-8 reps
paired with
Jump Squats 4 reps
paired with
Weighted Jump Squats 4 reps
paired with
Lunge Jumps

4 Set Series Upper Body:

Band DB Bench Press (60-75%1RM) 6 reps
paired with
Alternating Grip Power Pull Ups 6 reps (add reps every week)
paired with
Band Push Up 5 reps (add reps every week)
paired with
Push Up Claps 5 reps (add reps every week)

Complete 4 exercises in succession, rest 2 minutes between sets and decrease rest period as able over 4 week time frame.

Decreasing rest periods and/or adding reps as your program progresses is a effective way to increase work capacity and strength in a shorter period of time, given the higher intensity. Ensure no rest is taken between exercises and all sets/reps are completed.

Enjoy