Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces Weapons > Weapons Discussion Area

Old 03-10-2023, 15:49   #31
Badger52
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR2 View Post
Good piece.

The coin paid to enforce words on parchment is blood; tyrants will not be stopped with anything less dear. - QP Peregrino
Badger52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 22:53   #32
PRB
Quiet Professional

There is a relative factor to more weight and a more effective killing round that fits that category as required for combat.

The 5.56 and the 5.45 are fine at close range when there is no foliage or anything to impede the rounds flight to a target. At long and even medium range they suck especially if there is anything in the way. I carried one in RVN/Shield Storm/Somalia and in Astan I chose to carry an AK.

We are a long way from 30 06 and 7.62x51 that are excellent killing rounds but heavy.

This is an excellent medium/ in between.

I have never been a fan of the M 16a1/M16 a2/M4 etc. for the light round and that dammed gas venting into the chamber...not sure if the new rifle does that or not but it is stupid by design.

As to the article I remember the 'new' invisible fighters and fighter bombers flying over Iraq in Desert Storm with impunity.... at will...and destroying whatever their targets were without concern of being shot down by the latest Russian provided systems.

I get that we should have more but quality over quantity is still a 'thing'....no matter how much you hate the present admin.

Last edited by PRB; 03-10-2023 at 22:59.
PRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 05:58   #33
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Mr Jones
That new guy you hired to replace me,,
Not so good...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Military com
Army to Test Out its New Guns in Extreme Environments
The XM7 Rifle and XM250 Automatic Rifle, designed by Sig Sauer, are set to replace the M4A1 Carbine and M249 Squad Automatic Weapon within the next decade.

https://www.military.com/daily-news/...C=eb_230316.nl

I thought we already spent 10 yrs testing BEFORE we awarded the contract??

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 14:29   #34
Badger52
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_BPK View Post
I thought we already spent 10 yrs testing BEFORE we awarded the contract??
I wonder if they're talking about the actual fielding timeframe. I don't know if that's normal but I recall that it took quite awhile for the M16 to get down to everyone. Maybe it would've been less if the priority hadn't been VN opns. Then again, when I was at Ord for BCT we had M14's but if you were headed across post to 11B school you got the new fangled plastic rifle. Is this one of those things that unpromotable Majors figure out in the puzzle palace?

The coin paid to enforce words on parchment is blood; tyrants will not be stopped with anything less dear. - QP Peregrino
Badger52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 22:07   #35
Penn
Area Commander

Whenever you get close to a revolution, power limits access.

Quote:
I can honestly offer my sympathy and pity not because I give a shit about their condition, but because I am relieved that I don't have the same combination of problems with my health, misguided ambitions, and a cabal of friends and family so eager to exploit my condition for their own personal gain.

I sincerely wish for this poor man to be free of his pain and emotional torment because no human being deserves to suffer in such humiliating public forum. I ask the good lord to provide respite for this man and I wish him and his family more blessings than they might wish on me under the same circumstances.
Penn is offline   Reply With Quote