Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > At Ease > General Discussions

Old 12-07-2017, 09:06   #1
tonyz
Area Commander

December 7th, 1941...a date which will live in infamy

December 7th, 1941...a date which will live in infamy.
Pearl Harbor bombed

At 7:55 a.m. Hawaii time, a Japanese dive bomber bearing the red symbol of the Rising Sun of Japan on its wings appears out of the clouds above the island of Oahu. A swarm of 360 Japanese warplanes followed, descending on the U.S. naval base at Pearl Harbor in a ferocious assault. The surprise attack struck a critical blow against the U.S. Pacific fleet and drew the United States irrevocably into World War II.

<snip>

http://www.history.com/this-day-in-h...-harbor-bombed

President Franklin D. Roosevelt: Yesterday, December 7, 1941—a date which will live in infamy—the United States of America was suddenly and deliberately attacked by naval and air forces of the Empire of Japan.

The United States was at peace with that nation, and, at the solicitation of Japan, was still in conversation with its government and its emperor looking toward the maintenance of peace in the Pacific. Indeed, one hour after Japanese air squadrons had commenced bombing in the American island of Oahu, the Japanese ambassador to the United States and his colleague delivered to our secretary of state a formal reply to a recent American message. While this reply stated that it seemed useless to continue the existing diplomatic negotiations, it contained no threat or hint of war or armed attack.

It will be recorded that the distance of Hawaii from Japan makes it obvious that the attack was deliberately planned many days or even weeks ago. During the intervening time the Japanese government has deliberately sought to deceive the United States by false statements and expressions of hope for continued peace.

The attack yesterday on the Hawaiian Islands has caused severe damage to American naval and military forces. I regret to tell you that very many American lives have been lost. In addition, American ships have been reported torpedoed on the high seas between San Francisco and Honolulu.

Yesterday the Japanese government also launched as attack against Malaya.

Last night Japanese forces attacked Hong Kong.

Last night Japanese forces attacked Guam.

Last night Japanese forces attacked the Philippine Islands.

Last night Japanese forces attacked Wake Island.

And this morning the Japanese attacked Midway Island.

Japan has, therefore, undertaken a surprise offensive extending throughout the Pacific area. The facts of yesterday and today speak for themselves. The people of the United States have already formed their opinions and well understand the implications to the very life and safety of our nation.

As commander in chief of the Army and Navy I have directed that all measures be taken for our defense. But always will our whole nation remember the character of the onslaught against us. . .

http://historymatters.gmu.edu/d/5166

Source: Courtesy of the Franklin D. Roosevelt Library, Hyde Park, New York.

Marcus Tullius Cicero
tonyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 13:16   #2
Golf1echo
Area Commander

Location: Western Carolina in the rainforest,4000' along the Eastern Cont. Div.
As we honor those that were involved I think of many however when Roosevelt is mentioned I think of General Patrick Hurley,a close confidant and often pictured at his side in places like Yalta and elsewhere... His story is one of working his way from the bottom to the top, " American Hero" IIRC is his biography , while I never met him as he had passed away before I became involved with the family , I worked my way through college taking care of his wife's estate, Patricia Hurley ( daughter of Admiral Wilson, Commander of the Pacific Fleet) in Tucson, AZ after she had moved from their home in Sante Fe,NM. I was very blessed to have come into that opportunity and they were quite a family who's story was that of America in those times.

I think today of an experience I had on Monday as well, perhaps one of the most solum of my life. Once again I found myself in Abilene, KS and after driving around stopped at a building that's sign read History Center...short on time I chose to visit what was described as the Meditation Chapel. It was a simple but eloquent building and I was alone inside, as I came to an American Flag i was overcome with emotion and promptly saluted as I realized at its base was the tomb of 5 Star General Dwight D.Eisenhower 34th President of the United Staes of America and his wife Mamie... It was only then I realized I was at his Presidential Library, a man rooted in humility referencing a very different time in American history...

Essayons

By Dand

"In the school of the wilds,there is no graduation day"Horace Kephart
Golf1echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 06:39   #3
Old Dog New Trick
Quiet Professional

Seventy nine years ago we have not and will never forget the service men, women and citizens of Hawaii that perished on this day and in the service of their country.

God Bless America and those who lost their lives and those who survived and still live with the horrors of this day.

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” (Sir Edmund Burke)
Old Dog New Trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 06:54   #4
Ret10Echo
Quiet Professional

Greatest Generation.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Post Pearl Harbor poster.jpg (81.1 KB, 19 views)

James Madison
Ret10Echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 14:14   #5
Sohei
Area Commander

I will not only never forget those that were killed and wounded that day, but I also won't forget another lesson learned that day. That a foreign enemy can - if they have the mentality to do so - enter our space and do us harm.

Lest we ever forget their sacrifices....
Sohei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 16:53   #6
Gypsy
Area Commander

Never forget. God bless.
Old 12-07-2020, 17:31   #7
PSM
Area Commander

My uncle was at Scofield Barracks that morning. Never forget!

The beginning and the end:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AZ and MO.jpg (37.3 KB, 23 views)

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The bigger the government, the smaller the citizen." -- Dennis Prager

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken
PSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 17:35   #8
Sohei
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSM View Post

I would imagine you have had some interesting conversations with him and learned some history that many of us will never know. That generation is leaving us quickly and they will be missed!
Old 12-07-2020, 17:48   #9
PSM
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agoge2 View Post
I would imagine you have had some interesting conversations with him and learned some history that many of us will never know. That generation is leaving us quickly and they will be missed!
No. He was KIA in Korea when I was 9 months old. He was CO of A/1/9INF.

"The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress." -- Frederick Douglass

"The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it." --H.L. Mencken
Old 12-07-2020, 17:52   #10
Sohei
Area Commander

Quote:
No. He was KIA in Korea when I was 9 months old. He was CO of A/1/9INF.
I am sincerely sorry about his loss!
Old 12-07-2020, 18:55   #11
Old Dog New Trick
Quiet Professional

Quote:

That is such a powerful picture! Thank you for posting it up.

Also, thanks again to all the veterans who from that generation gave us purpose and reason to avoid major global conflicts. I only fought the “Cold War” but freezing my ass off in Kansas, Germany and Korea or sweating my ass off in the jungles of SEA for 21+ years was just as important as the guy who spent two weeks, two months or two years ducking bullets in one battle or many. My hat (err Beret) is off to all of them and all of you. Salute!

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” (Sir Edmund Burke)
Old Dog New Trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 19:22   #12
Flagg
Area Commander

I hope those in uniform use such anniversaries as motivation to redouble their efforts to ensure it never, ever happens again.
Flagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 07:25   #13
Swoop
Quiet Professional

Never Forget

As I went outside yesterday morning to lower my flag to half-staff, a gentleman driving by and asked me if there was a problem. I replied no that I was merely placing the flag at half-staff. The older gentleman then asked, “Oh, who died?”..... I looked at him slightly puzzled and started to remind him of several thousand.... but after the quick count to ten just reminded him it was Dec 7th. He quickly thanked me and drove off.

Never Forget

DOL
Swoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 21:27   #14
mojaveman
Area Commander

One of my neighbors was at Hickam on the morning of December 7th, 1941 and died only a few years ago. His stories from that day and later days in the remainder of WWII were phenomenal.

Last edited by mojaveman; 12-10-2020 at 11:38.
mojaveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 21:47   #15
PSM
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojaveman View Post
One of my neighbors was at Hickam on the morning of December 7th, 1941 and he died only a few years ago. His stories from that day and later days in the remainder of WWII were phenomenal.
As it turned out, while my uncle was at the very start of WW2, he didn't serve in it. At Scofield, he was in the USMA prep course. He was in the 3-year class of 1945 with Harold Moore and 8th SFG's COL Dexter. He was in the Japan Occupation Army prior to Korea.

COL Dexter was trying to help me find out how my uncle got an SS. His records were lost in the K.C. fire. We never found out. I did find his citations for BSM with OLC.

Here's my last message from COL Dexter: http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/...36&postcount=2