Interesting item on Ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/WWII-ORIGINAL-GE...item1e5c5ec7b3

MVP
MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 09:35   #2
cszakolczai

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVP View Post
Does that mean, "property jump school tolz"? I know eigentum means property, the Ju Sch I'm not really sure about.

The item looks like one of the submarine watches which were used to time torpedo's.
Old 01-12-2011, 09:40   #3
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Why would a Swiss watch sold to a German in the 1940s say "Swiss Made" on it in English?

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 10:14   #4
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post
Why would a Swiss watch sold to a German in the 1940s say "Swiss Made" on it in English?

TR
The US Tariff Act (section 304,19 U.S.C. § 1304). set our import standard in 1930.

Not sure when Europe or other countries started using the "made in XXX" tag for country of origin??

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 07:18   #5
ddoering
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by cszakolczai View Post
Does that mean, "property jump school tolz"? I know eigentum means property, the Ju Sch I'm not really sure about.

The item looks like one of the submarine watches which were used to time torpedo's.

Its trying to say it is property of the Junkerschule, Bad Toelz. The SS ran an officer course there that ended in 1945. The engraving does not look like anything from the period to me and the abbrieviation is not what one would expect.
ddoering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 07:38   #6
MVP
Quiet Professional

watch

A very knowledgeable collector that was in 1/10 circa 83-86 sent the link to me. I find the watch very plausible. The runic SS has been hidden and the abreviations for JunkerSchule Toelz also seem correct. Unfortunately this type of stuff is so rarely seen it is hard to say but typically "schoolhouse" stuff is not faked.

MVP
Old 01-13-2011, 10:42   #7
cszakolczai

So would this be used as a stop watch for running or something of that nature?
Old 01-13-2011, 13:30   #8
MVP
Quiet Professional

SS-Junkerschule Bad Tölz was established in 1937 and was the officers' training school for the Waffen-SS. It was the SS equivalent of Britain's Sandhurst and the USA's West Point. I would bet pocket watches were issued the same way as wrist watches are military issue today. Pocket watches were popular in that time, my grandfather carried one until he died in 1968.

MVP
Old 01-13-2011, 13:47   #9
cszakolczai

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVP View Post
SS-Junkerschule Bad Tölz was established in 1937 and was the officers' training school for the Waffen-SS. It was the SS equivalent of Britain's Sandhurst and the USA's West Point. I would bet pocket watches were issued the same way as wrist watches are military issue today. Pocket watches were popular in that time, my grandfather carried one until he died in 1968.

MVP
Ecellent thanks for the information.
Old 01-15-2011, 22:37   #10
ddoering
Quiet Professional

The chance that this item is the real deal is so small that you might as well throw your money away.
ddoering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 01:38   #11
cszakolczai

I was confused as I thought, Bad Tolz was what the US Army named the base where 10th group was stationed. I didnt actually know the name was kept from earlier times. I thought following the war the US changed a lot of the names including Tolz I know this was done in certain areas across Europe. Especially one which had SS connections I thought that would be changed immediately. I posed this question to a friend who served with 10th group earlier on and he explained the history further.

So having said all this the seller attempting to connect this to an SS unit is just a feeble attempt at making a pocket watch very valuable. SS items sell for thousands easily. A gentleman I spoke with who collected SS items paid over 10 thousand for an original SS helmet. The sad part is ten thousand isnt even the highest price I've seen paid.
Old 01-16-2011, 15:46   #12
DJ Urbanovsky
Guerrilla Chief

I'm no expert on watches of that era, but a couple of observations:

Note how white the hands and face markings are compared to the condition of the case. I find it unusual that a watch of that age where the guts are exposed to the atmosphere would have such vibrantly white markings.

There is no serial number on the movement, which I find to be unusual for a CYMA.

This is a good example of a 1940's CYMA movement:

http://img.timezone.com/img/articles...7123/pwqa4.jpg
DJ Urbanovsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 22:38   #13
Hartley
Quiet Professional

Bad Tolz

Cszakolczai,

Bad Tolz is the name of the town that Flint Kaserne (former home to the 10th) is located in/near. I am quite sure the US Army had nothing to do with naming it..

If I remember correctly, the Baths (geothermal hot-water) that the "Bad" refers to have been a tourist attraction there for many centuries.

Hartley
Hartley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 01:04   #14
cszakolczai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartley View Post
Cszakolczai,

Bad Tolz is the name of the town that Flint Kaserne (former home to the 10th) is located in/near. I am quite sure the US Army had nothing to do with naming it..

If I remember correctly, the Baths (geothermal hot-water) that the "Bad" refers to have been a tourist attraction there for many centuries.

Hartley
Thanks for the info sir. I was definitely looking at the name in completely the wrong context. I just automatically assumed it was a US given name or rename I should say. I would think that anything Nazi/SS was automatically destroyed including names like the statues were, but again I was mistaken. I learned something new. The sad part is all the current and former 10th group guys I know have mentioned Tolz and I never asked about the name. I'll keep reading, thanks again sir.
Old 01-17-2011, 18:47   #15
alfromcolorado
Quiet Professional

The Americans did change the name. We called it Flint Kaserne. The Germans called it Junkerschule Toelz.

There was another Junkerschule up north also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cszakolczai View Post
Thanks for the info sir. I was definitely looking at the name in completely the wrong context. I just automatically assumed it was a US given name or rename I should say. I would think that anything Nazi/SS was automatically destroyed including names like the statues were, but again I was mistaken. I learned something new. The sad part is all the current and former 10th group guys I know have mentioned Tolz and I never asked about the name. I'll keep reading, thanks again sir.
alfromcolorado is offline   Reply With Quote