Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces > 10th Special Forces Group

Old 10-05-2010, 11:37   #1
MVP
Quiet Professional

French Wing (Brindisi)

Did anyone who was awarded this wing in Brindisi ever get an exact translation. As I recall the French Liaison to DA at the time circa 1995 said it was an unauthorized badge.

MVP
Attached Images
File Type: jpg French wing.jpg (56.8 KB, 109 views)
MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 14:57   #2
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
A little help,, There is a thread in MP.net,, with 1100++ posts on "World Airborne Wings". There are several serious collectors with mega-collections that may know.. If you're not a member, I'll post a Q for you. Do you have a bigger pic??

http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums...ght=jump+wings

"May you be a half hour in heaven before the devil knows you’re dead"
JJ_BPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 23:49   #3
Stras
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVP View Post
Did anyone who was awarded this wing in Brindisi ever get an exact translation. As I recall the French Liaison to DA at the time circa 1995 said it was an unauthorized badge.

MVP
It's the French Commando Badge, and as such we weren't authorized it for just a jump with them. I don't believe its authorized for wear in AR 670-1 either, but thats never stopped us.

From what I recall, the certificate said that we participated in an airborne operation with the French Commandos.

My stuff is still enroute, now that I know some decent french speakers, I'll get it translated again.

De Oppresso Liber
Stras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 10:16   #4
MVP
Quiet Professional

French Wing

JJ BPK,

Yes please ask.

Stras,

I found a reference on the internet and the folks here who translated it said we are authorized. We made the required 2 jumps. Using Google to trnalate the French text I found for the award makes absolutely no sense. Google has no military vocabulary, I'm sure everyone understands if they have ever had to use a non-military type translator...

MVP
Old 10-20-2010, 10:43   #5
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Location: 18 yrs upstate NY, 30 yrs South Florida, 20 yrs Conch Republic, now chasing G-Kids in NOVA & UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by MVP View Post
JJ BPK,

Yes please ask.

Stras,

I found a reference on the internet and the folks here who translated it said we are authorized. We made the required 2 jumps. Using Google to trnalate the French text I found for the award makes absolutely no sense. Google has no military vocabulary, I'm sure everyone understands if they have ever had to use a non-military type translator...

MVP
OK, Did you jump in Brindisi Italy with French Commando's??
I need more context..
Confused??

Old 10-20-2010, 14:17   #6
Stras
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_BPK View Post
OK, Did you jump in Brindisi Italy with French Commando's??
I need more context..
Confused??
JJ_BK,
yes, we made the two jumps with the French Commandos in Brindisi, Italy while we were all pulling CSAR support for Operation PROVIDE PROMISE.

We jumped on Tori Veneri DZ in 1994, from I believe a French Puma, but I have to recheck my jump log.

De Oppresso Liber
Old 10-21-2010, 05:08   #7
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Received a reply..

I copied the first part of the link. It would appear that the "Brevet d'Infanterie de l'Air" is the entry or lowest level of jump qual??

Quote:
Here it is! I don't speak french very well ...but it is a badge for who made two jump tests. It isnt the military qualification badge..

http://www.fusilier-commando-air.fr/17.html
Quote:

Insignes Parachutistes
Brevet Parachutiste d'Infanterie de l'Air

Brevet d'Infanterie de l'Air
créé en 1936

Insigne en tissu du Brevet de Parachutiste de l’Armée de l’Air :

Il est créé en 1936 et porté par le personnel de l’Infanterie de l’Air de 1937 à 1940 composée des 601 et 602ème G.I.A. L’insigne est repris par le R.C.P. jusqu’en 1946. Le port en est réglementé par un certificat ; L’insigne est brodé en argent, les ailes et l’étoile en fils dorés.

Il est important de souligner que par décision ministérielle n°349/EMGA/35 du 31 juillet 1945, l’Armée de l’Air « cède » ses Troupes AéroPortées à l’Armée de Terre. (Source UNP)

Insigne Sauts de Motivation.

Les Fusiliers Commandos de l’Air et les Conducteurs de Chiens Engagés (MTA) non susceptibles de d’obtenir le Brevet Militaire de Parachutisme, peuvent effectuer deux Sauts de Motivation. Ce personnel doit être apte médicalement et avoir reçu l’Instruction adaptée à ce type de Saut.

A l’issue des épreuves au sol et en vol, il se voit attribuer un Insigne métallique et un certificat délivré par le Commandant de l’Escadron de Formation des Fusiliers Commandos de l’Air (E.F.C.A.).

http://www.commando-air.fr/6.html
Can't help with the French translations,, mine stops at:

Voulez-vous coucher avec moi

Old 10-21-2010, 06:25   #8
Richard
Quiet Professional

Briefly, according to the posted blurb and my limited French, it's a badge for members of Les Fusiliers Commandos de l’Air et les Conducteurs de Chiens Engagés (MTA) who - for whatever reason are healthy but cannot get scheduled for the normal airborne training course - can be allowed by the unit to make two parachute jumps 'for motivation' and then are awarded this badge and a certificate.

Richard
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 06:34   #9
JJ_BPK
Quiet Professional

Quote:
who - for whatever reason
are healthy but cannot get scheduled for the normal airborne training course,
can be allowed by the unit to make two parachute jumps for motivation,
and then are awarded this badge and a certificate.
Strange???

Old 10-21-2010, 06:39   #10
Richard
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Strange???
Well...it is French and some sort of unit tradition going back to 1936...

I think I'd rather wear my old 'Johnson-Humphrey' campaign button.

Richard
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Old 10-21-2010, 08:29   #11
skylinedrive
Auxiliary

Richard provided a correct translation!

More or less it would read:

The Air Commando Riflemen and the Canine Operators that are non eligible to obtain the military parachutist brevet, can make two motivational jumps. This personnel must be medically suitable and must be given appropriated training to this form of jump.

After the tests on the ground and in the air have been concluded a metal insigna and a diploma, signed by the commander of the air commando riflemen training wing, is bestowed on the candidate.

My take would be that it was originally meant to give support personnel working with the CPA, who don't get slot for ETAP the chance to get a "kind" of jump wings.
skylinedrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 13:47   #12
MVP
Quiet Professional

Ok, so it is not THE French wing.

Got to admit it is one unusual wing.

MVP
Old 11-05-2010, 09:59   #13
orko
Quiet Professional

It may be on the list of wings we are authorized to accept, but not authorized to wear.
orko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 10:51   #14
Richard
Quiet Professional

Quote:
It may be on the list of wings we are authorized to accept, but not authorized to wear.
FWIW - we were 'officially' issued our Italian wings (pic) by the Folgore Brigade when working in the Med with their SF but wore the Italian SF wings (which were 'unofficial' even in the Italian army but had been given to us by the Col Moschin Cdr) because they were lighter, better looking, and nobody in PAC knew the difference as the certificate/translation in our 201 files merely stated "Italian Parachutist Badge"...but don't tell anyone.

And so it goes...

Richard
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ItArmyWings.jpg (31.9 KB, 44 views)

Old 11-05-2010, 11:17   #15
Stras
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stras View Post
It's the French Commando Badge, and as such we weren't authorized it for just a jump with them. I don't believe its authorized for wear in AR 670-1 either, but thats never stopped us.

From what I recall, the certificate said that we participated in an airborne operation with the French Commandos.

My stuff is still enroute, now that I know some decent french speakers, I'll get it translated again.
MVP, can you send me a copy of your certificate? due to a slight problem last week, mine is not available for consultation.

De Oppresso Liber