Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces > 10th Special Forces Group

Old 04-14-2009, 04:23   #31
alfromcolorado
Quiet Professional

Well, I could make the "leap" to airplanes since it was part of the best job I ever had in life...

But spoiling beer... Or wine... Well, to each his own I guess.

How about those folks that put Coca Cola in beer? That is going just a bit too far.

Now for my list:

Pilsner Urquell and Czech Budweiser are great on tap, taste decreases the longer it has been in the bottle. Still do the US version of Budvar in a bottle though. Better than standard US fare (Bud Light, come on...)

Erdinger or Maisel's helles or dunkles Weissbier are great ones, many others are quite tasty.

Schneider Weisse or Aventinus are great but can't drink a lot of them.

Like the Reutberg Biers too, but don't think they are the top notch of the top notch Biers. Best at the Kloster, decreases as you get farther from the Kloster.

Can always drink a well poured Guiness. Belhaven Scottish Ale is superb. Baltica out of Russia-different numbers for different tastes.

Karlovaċka Pivo out of Croatia is pretty good.

Hungary has a few good Sor too!!

Fact is, there are just too many good beers in the world to try to figure out which is best. A hellova lot of US micro brews are reestablishing the US as a beer producing country now too.

Cheers, Prost (or Prosit), Živjeli, Budem zdorovy, Egészségedre or however you might say it... Have a nice beer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
Heard similar comments with regrd to "perfectly good airplanes."
alfromcolorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 06:08   #32
Stras
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
Heard similar comments with regrd to "perfectly good airplanes."
While I've heard of "perfectly good airplanes", I've yet to see one.. I'm pretty good at finding a flaw in any aircraft I jump out of to keep my myth going.

To each his own when it comes to taste. Though I stay away from the Anheiser Busch family myself. They did leave us a trailer full of beer in the middle of the quad at 2/75 after the panama invasion. We locked the gates, no one allowed out and commensed to getting rid of the evidence. And yes, the age limit was waived or not enforced for 24 hrs. But I have no official comment as to that piece of info, Senator.....

Al is talking of a "diesel" which is coca-cola and beer mix. Never liked that one, tried it once.. only beer I ever wasted.

Never cared for the Weissen beers either. felt too much like eating a loaf of bread after one beer. Though the crystal isn't too bad.
Stras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 07:11   #33
Sanwald
Asset

Augustiner rates as my favorite Beer.
Always good and the Biergarten at the brewery in Munich serves it from Wooden kegs!

I've got two 5 liter Kegs of Stuttgarter Hofbrau, and half a case of their Fruhlungs-Bier in the fridge right now. ( The girlfriend's parents and sister brought them as Easter gifts)

I'm about to go home and drink some...to get ready for tomorrow, when I'm going to a Birthday celebration on the Brauneck. Should be a good party with plenty of beer and good views.

Last edited by Sanwald; 04-17-2009 at 07:19.
Sanwald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 08:20   #34
Richard
Quiet Professional

Quote:
I'm about to go home and drink some...to get ready for tomorrow, when I'm going to a Birthday celebration on the Brauneck. Should be a good party with plenty of beer and good views.
Hey...quit fruhling around! OK...we're jealous! Zum wohl!

Richard's $.02
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 10:41   #35
Utah Bob
Quiet Professional

I remember sitting at a hockey game between the Americans and the Germans in Tolz in '68. The locals sitting in front of us were drinking Gluwein. They had PLENTY and shared it with us.
After the game was over I walked back to the BOQ in the snow in my low quarters. Feet got frostbit. Never felt a thing.
Lazy Bob Ranch
Utah Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 00:04   #36
Mitch
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utah Bob View Post
I remember sitting at a hockey game between the Americans and the Germans in Tolz in '68. The locals sitting in front of us were drinking Gluwein. They had PLENTY and shared it with us.
After the game was over I walked back to the BOQ in the snow in my low quarters. Feet got frostbit. Never felt a thing.
At least you were just walking!

My first experience with Gluwein (glowing wine). Was equallyable enjoyble - it was up on the Rossfeld ski area. We had been skiing there most of the day and came down for the last break of the day before doing the last few runs - we saw some folks drinking what we thought was just a hot red tea. When we found out it was wine - we decided to try it out.

Wow - I can't provide the adjectives that describe how good that was - sitting out on the porch with the afternoon sun starting to wane. The cold was just starting to creep back up to a point where you noticed it - then this drink that immediately warms you up - and then warms you up. You can't just drink one. But fortunately, we had more skiing to do so we had to stop after two.

Nice thing about the Rossfeld, it was 7 kilometers away from Bertchesgaden - and a whole lot of meters above it. There was this trail that you could take all the way back to B'gadden back then - don't know if it is still there now or not (1970's). Anyway, it was our custom to begin that last run by going back up to the top of the Rossfeld - getting in a group of about 10 or 12 and then taking off; shooting past the RossFeld Schihutte and flying low down the trail. It could get steep and tight at places and in the afternoon, there were alwasy slower people going down that we would just blow by staying close enough to them and each other that they probably felt they had wondered on to the autobahn.

This time - with a Gluwein buz - I rember it as the best run I ever had in my life - can't believe I didn't break my neck.
Old 04-18-2009, 05:39   #37
Utah Bob
Quiet Professional

'Course I never met a German bier I didn't like!
Oktoberfest '68
Lazy Bob Ranch
Old 04-18-2009, 09:44   #38
Mitch
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Oktoberfest '68
I did - in fact this beer is supposed to be the granddaddy of all German Beers.

Pilsner Urquell

Actually a Czech beer but it is the original Pilsner beer - it was brewed by Germans for Germans and is regarded as the "source" for all beers using the name Pils, or Pilsner.

I don't like it because it is just a bit too harsh, bitter for me, though I have never had it on tap (even in Germany). It is available in every Gasthaus in Germany.

Read more about it: http://www.prazdroj.cz/en/about-beer...oduction-chart

Last edited by Mitch; 04-18-2009 at 15:05.
Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 13:33   #39
mojaveman
Area Commander

Quote:
Oktoberfest '68
Dam!

I've drank a few large beers during my years in Deutschland but never one like that. Did that guy get a free wheelchair ride out of the beer tent?

Last edited by mojaveman; 04-18-2009 at 17:02.
mojaveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 14:08   #40
Utah Bob
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojaveman View Post
Dam!

I've drank a few large beers during my years in Deutschland but never one like that. Did that guy get a free wheelchair ride out of the bier tent?
Actually I don't remember a lot about the rest of the afternoon after they took the pic.
I was told I had a very good time.
Lazy Bob Ranch
Old 10-21-2009, 05:57   #41
mark the Engineer Officer
SF Candidate

Bavarian Brew

I live in Bamberg, a tiny town in Northern Bavaria with an unusually high breweryerson ratio. We're famous for our Rauch (sp?) Beer. The smoked beer tastes like drinking a hickory farms care package. After a liter or so you're done. This weekend begins the bock beer festivals for the region. I'll be sure to drink a mass of the stuff for all of you who can't be here.
mark the Engineer Officer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 07:41   #42
Mitch
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark.dorseyii View Post
I live in Bamberg, a tiny town in Northern Bavaria with an unusually high breweryerson ratio. We're famous for our Rauch (sp?) Beer. The smoked beer tastes like drinking a hickory farms care package. After a liter or so you're done. This weekend begins the bock beer festivals for the region. I'll be sure to drink a mass of the stuff for all of you who can't be here.
Wow - something new - never ran accross a "smokey" Beer - in Germany, or anywhere else. Is this beer brewed by just one brewer or is common in all the towns arround and by all the local brewers?
Old 10-21-2009, 11:52   #43
SF Candidate

Smoked Beer

Bamberg is its home...when I try to order it elsewhere (in Bavaria or anywhere else in Germany) they look at me like I'm a space alien. In Bamberg there are only two breweries that make it. Its one of those things that is worth a try, but probably won't be a favorite.

As far as favorite beers...I'd have to say the bock beer at Klosterbrau in Bavaria takes the cake. Its a darker wheat beer that has no bitterness. I recently went to the states and could not drink any Pils without getting the sour beer face. Looks like I've been spoiled.
Old 10-21-2009, 12:06   #44
PedOncoDoc
Area Commander

Smoked Beer

I've had the opportunity to try a few different smoked beers in microbreweries around the US. One of the more interesting ones was in Cleveland, OH, and was called a "smokestack porter." It's not my favorite style of beer, but I'm always in for sampling the local product(s)...

It all comes down to finding a good brewmeister who likes to experiment with the more exotic beer styles. Some will even take requests if you take the time to talk with them.
‎"The dignity of man is not shattered in a single blow, but slowly softened, bent, and eventually neutered. Men are seldom forced to act, but are constantly restrained from acting. Such power does not destroy outright, but prevents genuine existence. It does not tyrannize immediately, but it dampens, weakens, and ultimately suffocates, until the entire population is reduced to nothing better than a flock of timid, uninspired animals, of which the government is shepherd." - Alexis de Tocqueville
PedOncoDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 22:40   #45
SF Candidate

Munchen

I'm headed to Munich this weekend...not my first time but whenever I go I usually do the same old things: Hoffbrau, Augustiner, etc. Do any of you have any suggestions on beers to try/places to eat/things to do that is a one of a kind exerpience?