Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces > 10th Special Forces Group

Old 12-21-2007, 13:03   #46
SFS0AVN
Quiet Professional

We took a little cross country ski trip with Col Festenhammer (King Ludwig) A/10th out of Lengries and over the Walberg in Tegernsee. At least he had transportation to take us home when we got to the other side.
Max_Tab I also remember the 10th Gp's first trip to Eagle, CO for WET at high altitude. I flew one of the Hueys that picked them up on the flat tops.

"In a man-to-man fight, the winner is he who has one more round in his magazine."
Rommel

Last edited by SFS0AVN; 12-21-2007 at 14:50.
SFS0AVN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 13:26   #47
Ret10Echo
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by lksteve View Post
So is Bad Toelz...the year I left, there wasn't enough snow for snow caves, much skiing or anything else...the first three years I was there, we had snow aplenty...WW training without snow is pretty grim...
We were east of Toelz...Skied the Wendelstein that same trip.

James Madison
Ret10Echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 18:30   #48
kgoerz
Quiet Professional

Back when I was in Band,........Ski Camp
Old 12-24-2007, 12:30   #49
MtnGoat
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFS0AVN View Post
Max_Tab I also remember the 10th Gp's first trip to Eagle, CO for WET at high altitude. I flew one of the Hueys that picked them up on the flat tops.

The Guys at HATS were some of the best pilots I've seen. They came in once and picked us up during a snow out and ice fog, while the out boys couldn't or wouldn't not sure which ones. But HATS can drive some birds!!

To bid the went to the crashhawks, I know the pilots didn't want t go to that frame.

History teaches that when you become indifferent and lose the will to fight someone who has the will to fight will take over."

COLONEL BULL SIMONS

Intelligence failures are failures of command [just] as operations failures are command failures.”
MtnGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 09:45   #50
rudelsg2
Quiet Professional

Wildflicken 99' the Winter "GUFF EX". Nothing like having a Company SGM that grew up in Ranger Bn, 7th and JSOC tell you no tents, stoves, or sleeping bags for WET. Especially after his german soldier/wool blanket on the eastern front anology we knew we were in trouble (I seem to remember most of them froze to death, but hey you know). Anyone whose been to Wildflicken in the winter can tell you it's pretty close to being on the eastern front. He finally consented to sleeping bags and bivy sacks for our company size Ranger patrol base in the snow.

When we got to Wildflicken base camp the germans had set up for us; the tents in the refit base camp had heaters that didn't work (they just sat there taunting you with their possibilities), lights that didn't work, about 4 inches of water on the floor of the tent, 30 cots crammed into about a 15 cot area and a colder temp inside the tent than was outside.

We finally moved out for Operation Frozen Chicken and after walking a bit we hit our patrol base. Now the idea for the patrol base was that we had 15 minutes each (taking turns at security of course) to get out our bags, get situated for the two days (I believe) we were to be there laying exposed on the ground in the snow, only sitting up to pull guard and only rolling over to piss, no other movement damn it! I think after about 2 hours in the PB , about a 1/4 of the company threw up from the unsantitary dish cleaning techniques of the german army cook crew catching up with us. The rest had all their bags, and gear soaked from the snow in the trees that was falling on us on a continous basis.

We finally aborted that mission, moved everyone that wasn't in the hospital to a gym so we could dry out our clothing and gear.

Moved out for the second week of training with all the gear your suppose to have (you know survive the elements first) and did it the way your suppose to and everything was fine. Well, except for Shawn B. needing exfil from Ice Station Zebra for a kidney stone and everyone else needing ice skates for the shoothouse hit.
It was never good when the CIF attempted to do a WET. Ahhh, the memories.

Last edited by rudelsg2; 02-02-2008 at 10:10. Reason: more info
rudelsg2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 22:25   #51
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudelsg2 View Post
Wildflicken 99' the Winter "GUFF EX". Nothing like having a Company SGM that grew up in Ranger Bn, 7th and JSOC tell you no tents, stoves, or sleeping bags for WET.
I am going to chime in here, as I think that you are talking about a SGM whose first name was Mike.

When he reported to A/1/7 to be the SGM, I asked him where he had been in 7th Group, he said he had never been in 7th. I then asked him where he did his team time, he said that he had no team time outside of his JSOC teams.

When I inquired as to why he was coming down to our SF company, he responded that everyone knew you had to be a Company SGM to make CSM as an 18, which he had apparently been awarded without ever serving on an ODA.

A SGM in 7th Group with zero FID experience was going to get a quick education.

He was marginal as a SGM, had physical issues, and was, IMHO, unstable and prone to losing his temper and professionalism.

I left before he did, and heard that he went to 1/10.

Where was the Company Commander while he was abusing troops like this?

I think that Ramirez is the one who finally got rid of him.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 00:12   #52
rudelsg2
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post
I am going to chime in here, as I think that you are talking about a SGM whose first name was Mike.

When he reported to A/1/7 to be the SGM, I asked him where he had been in 7th Group, he said he had never been in 7th. I then asked him where he did his team time, he said that he had no team time outside of his JSOC teams.

When I inquired as to why he was coming down to our SF company, he responded that everyone knew you had to be a Company SGM to make CSM as an 18, which he had apparently been awarded without ever serving on an ODA.

A SGM in 7th Group with zero FID experience was going to get a quick education.

He was marginal as a SGM, had physical issues, and was, IMHO, unstable and prone to losing his temper and professionalism.

I left before he did, and heard that he went to 1/10.

Where was the Company Commander while he was abusing troops like this?

I think that Ramirez is the one who finally got rid of him.

TR
My apologies to the 7th Groupers then. Yes Sir, you are correct. on all points, highly unstable, waddled around and had enough stored excess calories to keep himself plenty warm. Nothing like getting a beeper call at two in the morning for a 2-3 hour speech on how we are all going to die in combat because no one will empty the trash can in the basement hallway. But, he had the ability to sell ice to an eskimo and people outside our company at higher levels (Bn & beyond) actually believed that WET was the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Actually, I believe he retired on his own accord after he wrote himself a job over at SOCEUR where I believe he still holds that position. The Troop Sgts all fought him on the WET plan, but you couldn't win with him. The CO who was from 1/1 was another stellar performer himself.

Last edited by rudelsg2; 02-03-2008 at 00:17.
Old 02-29-2008, 13:17   #53
Heretic
Quiet Professional

Winter 98 COL C's WET madness

Several months on a Team and I encounter my first WET. We jumped in and my lowering line snapped sending my rifle poles etc screaming to the ground. 30 minutes later with all my gear I am running to the link up point only to find out that we have not found our bundle yet. By the grace of god we found the bundle. I think we barely made link up and headed out to the mountains. Day three Medic falls in stream coming back from link up. Day 4 my piss bottle lid wasnt so tight. Yum. Does anyone remember who hit the deer in the rental van? Ah what a great experience.
Old 03-25-2008, 13:54   #54
csquare
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudelsg2 View Post
My apologies to the 7th Groupers then. Yes Sir, you are correct. on all points, highly unstable, waddled around and had enough stored excess calories to keep himself plenty warm. Nothing like getting a beeper call at two in the morning for a 2-3 hour speech on how we are all going to die in combat because no one will empty the trash can in the basement hallway. But, he had the ability to sell ice to an eskimo and people outside our company at higher levels (Bn & beyond) actually believed that WET was the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Actually, I believe he retired on his own accord after he wrote himself a job over at SOCEUR where I believe he still holds that position. The Troop Sgts all fought him on the WET plan, but you couldn't win with him. The CO who was from 1/1 was another stellar performer himself.

I remember that WET! Walking all night in the snow and getting to the PB and as we laid there in the rain, sleet and snow. The mist heped get the snow that was hanging on the pine branches to give way. Huge snowballs were falling on everyone. From heights of 20+ feet. You could hear them coming in. It would get in your bag, down your shirt and everywhere else. Pat Q and I would just look at each other and "embrace the suck". Then we went back to the gym. Got warm and somewhat dry and then went on the ice hit from hell. The funniest wasn't the passing of the kidney stone, but PapaG getting shot, by one of the Navy EOD, in the ball sack. They were carrying SIMS and we were all carrying blue plastic. SGM G thought one of us shot him with blue plastic. But what a sight seeing PapaG rolling around in pain, in the freaking cold behind a berm as we breached the front door. Excellent suck fest!
csquare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 17:06   #55
rudelsg2
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by csquare View Post
The funniest wasn't the passing of the kidney stone, but PapaG getting shot, by one of the Navy EOD, in the ball sack. They were carrying SIMS and we were all carrying blue plastic. SGM G thought one of us shot him with blue plastic. But what a sight seeing PapaG rolling around in pain, in the freaking cold behind a berm as we breached the front door. Excellent suck fest!
Yep, I was a few behind the EOD element and remember as I slid around the corner seeing PapaG rolling on the ground screaming "I'm shot in the d*ck, I'm shot in the d*ck", as everyone stepped either on him or over him to get to the breach point.
Old 03-25-2008, 17:35   #56
Stras
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF18C View Post
MtnGoat, I am not sure if this was the same trip but remember when CSM "Dracula" exited the van at high speed, cracking his skull on a mailbox or some other hard object? Then the Command staff flew to check up on him in the hospital and the BlackHawk hit a power line, crashing and injurying all on board. (By the way the route the helo took during the day was the same route my team was to use for a nigth enfil!) Also the MOST team destroyed a snowmobile hitting a tree trying to get to the crash site!

For me and the our comapany I would have to say that was our worst WET!
You missed El Hotshot 1LT when he flew in with the CW4 Vietnam era vet right behind him. That CW4 tore him a new one.... We heard it word for word about 300m away with the rotors still turning..

Never mind the sled that we got stuck in the creek in 2000 and had to retrieve three months later on account of the blizzard that hit us and stayed for 3 days. This was before we all had personal GPS, marked the sled with an Avalanche Probe and had general location from two points around the field. Came back 3 days later after the blizzard ceased, and started probing for a sled that was buried 10ft below the snow.... HATS kept flying over the area and called us when it was avail for recovery.

The Count is alive and well... I just heard from him last week.

J T was bad luck to fly with.... I was on a CH-47 jump with him at Carson when we had concertina wire get caught in the rear rotor.... luckily we were only 10ft off the ground.... but that could have been a really bad day...
Stras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 21:20   #57
Judgeroybean
Quiet Professional

Anyone remember the Ochios (sic?)? Big sleds like the polks, but no poles up front to pull/control with, just ropes. If/when the brake guy fell, that thing ALWAYS flew by the lead guys and ALWAYS wrapped around the nearest tree.
Judgeroybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 05:04   #58
Ret10Echo
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judgeroybean View Post
Anyone remember the Ochios (sic?)? Big sleds like the polks, but no poles up front to pull/control with, just ropes. If/when the brake guy fell, that thing ALWAYS flew by the lead guys and ALWAYS wrapped around the nearest tree.
Pulks were a joy...rigid aluminum poles to the harness, which worked really well when skiing through trees. And served as a great pivot point to cartwheel the attached skiier.

We used the squad-sized sleds for resupply bundle recoveries and deer sleds for our rucks.

James Madison
Ret10Echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 11:58   #59
Razor
Quiet Professional

Ahkios. Some later versions have rigid poles. Kifaru still makes 'em.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 14:30   #60
Max_Tab
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stras View Post
Never mind the sled that we got stuck in the creek in 2000 and had to retrieve three months later on account of the blizzard that hit us and stayed for 3 days. This was before we all had personal GPS, marked the sled with an Avalanche Probe and had general location from two points around the field. Came back 3 days later after the blizzard ceased, and started probing for a sled that was buried 10ft below the snow.... HATS kept flying over the area and called us when it was avail for recovery.
I had to go up there after you guy's lost the sled and look for it. HAT's flew us up to the location, and dropped us off, and we spent all day probing for that stupid sled. Never did find it.

I loved the fact that the mountain team had to go up and look for your sled. I think you guy's were doing some snowmobile training, and we were back so we got tasked with the detail.

It is the duty of the patriot to protect his country from its government.
Thomas Paine
Max_Tab is offline   Reply With Quote