Old 04-15-2006, 11:20   #31
TFM
Guerrilla

Sucks so bad you gotta love it.
TFM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 11:45   #32
SF18C
Quiet Professional

MtnGoat, I am not sure if this was the same trip but remember when CSM "Dracula" exited the van at high speed, cracking his skull on a mailbox or some other hard object? Then the Command staff flew to check up on him in the hospital and the BlackHawk hit a power line, crashing and injurying all on board. (By the way the route the helo took during the day was the same route my team was to use for a nigth enfil!) Also the MOST team destroyed a snowmobile hitting a tree trying to get to the crash site!

For me and the our comapany I would have to say that was our worst WET!
"De Oppresso Liber"

Nomination for PS.com Quote of the Decade!
SF18C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 23:03   #33
bost1751
Quiet Professional

Lurp & Firebeef

I spent a few weeks in Dombas, in the early 70's. It was absolutely great. Firebeef, about going to Montana for ski training. sounds like the 10th could have learned from the 2/1st about that situation. The same thing happened to them back in the early 90's. In all the years the 10th went to ski training, and scheduled it the same time every year, you would think they would have wised up years ago. The reason the 2/1st went to Montana was a late comer to SF BN CSM, and not to mention a CW3. Both were seriously thinking about retiring in the Helena area. It was so dry in Helena the BN S3 asked me about going to Utah.
bost1751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 06:33   #34
MtnGoat
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF18C
MtnGoat, I am not sure if this was the same trip but remember when CSM "Dracula" exited the van at high speed, cracking his skull on a mailbox or some other hard object? Then the Command staff flew to check up on him in the hospital and the BlackHawk hit a power line, crashing and injurying all on board. (By the way the route the helo took during the day was the same route my team was to use for a nigth enfil!) Also the MOST team destroyed a snowmobile hitting a tree trying to get to the crash site!
That was the year before, this WET was when you went to Group. Not bad, our team "sat" on the Helo crash for Rucker for a week more. Then got a bill for a tree Rucker cut down for a CH-47 to "pick-up" the UH-60. The MAJ should have stayed off the Bird, Jamie was on that Bird. Anytime that man flow on a bird, it would not land right. It would crash land everytime.

This WET (PIX) was a bad one. A lot of Lesson for the AAR. TS & CPT learned, I did on Food!! and the whole Tm on packing "lite". Just love those Wiggy Fart Sacks being so "light".

History teaches that when you become indifferent and lose the will to fight someone who has the will to fight will take over."

COLONEL BULL SIMONS

Intelligence failures are failures of command [just] as operations failures are command failures.”

Last edited by MtnGoat; 04-18-2006 at 09:21.
MtnGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 06:39   #35
Max_Tab
Quiet Professional

Thanks for posting those pics, I'd forgotten how much it really sucked.

It is the duty of the patriot to protect his country from its government.
Thomas Paine
Max_Tab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 08:06   #36
Razor
Quiet Professional

The good news is that MAJ (JK) seems to be doing fine. I run into him at the gym on a regular basis and he's none the worse for wear. Guess that 1LT pilot learned that trying to play 160th without the training doesn't pay.

BTW, CSM Vlad is now a GS working at Army Strategic Command.

That was a bad winter for Group overall.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 09:26   #37
MtnGoat
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor
The good news is that MAJ (JK) seems to be doing fine. I run into him at the gym on a regular basis and he's none the worse for wear. Guess that 1LT pilot learned that trying to play 160th without the training doesn't pay.

BTW, CSM Vlad is now a GS working at Army Strategic Command.

That was a bad winter for Group overall.
Good to hear that MAJ is doing good, didn't know he was at Carson.

That LT did "try" to showboat for the MAJ & SGM. Watch one, do some, teach one. Its tried and proven.

Go to know CSM is doing good.

History teaches that when you become indifferent and lose the will to fight someone who has the will to fight will take over."

COLONEL BULL SIMONS

Intelligence failures are failures of command [just] as operations failures are command failures.”
MtnGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 13:32   #38
Razor
Quiet Professional

He (we) aren't at Carson; we work in NORAD-NORTHCOM at Pete.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 12:56   #39
TonyY
Quiet Professional

Someone asked about Norway. When the 10th was at Devens they would send teams to nato winter warfare coures that were taught at a base in Elverum I believe. They were about 10 weeks long with plenty of time in the field on x-country skies in the snow and cold. As part of the training we had to do 10, 20 and 60km biathelon races that actually were pretty good.

Did I say that!! It's funny how things like that don't phase you when your in your 20s. Today I don't mind watching them on TV sitting next to a nice fire sipping a good glass of brandy and smoking a Cuban cigar.
TonyY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 12:55   #40
x SF med
Quiet Professional

WW

In the 80's at Devens - we did 'practice' WW for real WW - Ramers, Rucks and Mirror Lake runs in the snow - then we'd ship off to wonderful places (for the 1st 2 wks at least) like Plattsburgh, or Utah, or VT. Anybody remember skiing up the Wasatch Mtns in -60 windchills - then sleeping in a farging snow hole? It would have been great if we could have kept with the downhill portion of WW Ex - snow bunnies loved the camo gore-tex. Wasn't it great living by Natic and getting the newest stuff that's all common to the FNGs. We tested all the Goretex, all the polypro, all the new lrp rats, sleeping bags, rucks and lbe vests before they became common for the rest of you guys - and sometimes gen 1 of the stuff absolutely sucked in cold weather - until we got to fill out the input sheets. We did get to test Grid laptops in cold weather, and satcom in cold weather - madese the ruck even heavier.... Ah the good cold days....
x SF med is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 13:01   #41
RSQCAL
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyY View Post
Someone asked about Norway. When the 10th was at Devens they would send teams to nato winter warfare coures that were taught at a base in Elverum I believe. They were about 10 weeks long with plenty of time in the field on x-country skies in the snow and cold. As part of the training we had to do 10, 20 and 60km biathelon races that actually were pretty good.

Did I say that!! It's funny how things like that don't phase you when your in your 20s. Today I don't mind watching them on TV sitting next to a nice fire sipping a good glass of brandy and smoking a Cuban cigar.
This was the Norwegian Home Guard Winter Warfare Course. This was ran out of Dumbas, Norway. I attend in 1988 or 89 with ODA 093. I remember it as a decent course with almost all field time and a good deal above the timberline.
RSQCAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 14:57   #42
Ret10Echo
Quiet Professional

This was a fun one...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tent 3.jpg (24.9 KB, 196 views)

James Madison
Ret10Echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 17:46   #43
lksteve
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ret10Echo View Post
This was a fun one...
A snow cave would have been warmer....
""A man must know his destiny. if he does not recognize it, then he is lost. By this I mean, once, twice, or at the very most, three times, fate will reach out and tap a man on the shoulder. if he has the imagination, he will turn around and fate will point out to him what fork in the road he should take, if he has the guts, he will take it.""- GEN George S. Patton
lksteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 06:06   #44
Ret10Echo
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by lksteve View Post
A snow cave would have been warmer....
Agree...

Not much snow that year. The site was down on the Austrian border.

Had a similar experience up in Quebec (Frozen Trojan 199?) getting there right after a warm spell, then a deep freeze. Making a fire was like burning ice-cubes

There were a whole bunch of great things that happened that year. Livestock in the barracks...snow machines on the golf-course etc...etc....

Our Canuck G's were recalled, packed-up and left, (inbound storm) telling us if we stayed we would die.

Most excellant.

James Madison
Ret10Echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 08:51   #45
lksteve
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ret10Echo View Post
Not much snow that year. The site was down on the Austrian border.
So is Bad Toelz...the year I left, there wasn't enough snow for snow caves, much skiing or anything else...the first three years I was there, we had snow aplenty...WW training without snow is pretty grim...
""A man must know his destiny. if he does not recognize it, then he is lost. By this I mean, once, twice, or at the very most, three times, fate will reach out and tap a man on the shoulder. if he has the imagination, he will turn around and fate will point out to him what fork in the road he should take, if he has the guts, he will take it.""- GEN George S. Patton
lksteve is offline   Reply With Quote