Old 08-04-2006, 01:28   #76
12B4S
Quiet Professional

I know the feelings I had, when you first told me about that Mike. There are alot of others on here that served there. I believe they will feel the same.
Old 08-04-2006, 01:54   #77
mike-munich
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12B4S
I know the feelings I had, when you first told me about that Mike. There are alot of others on here that served there. I believe they will feel the same.
Brad, wait until you see it... I guess it will take more than one Fass of Bier to kill the pain...
Old 08-04-2006, 20:05   #78
Aoresteen
Quiet Professional

Greast thread! Yes, DZ Karen was a crap fest to jump into. That's where I got my German jump wings in a T-10 and busted my butt hard. The German JM would ask us, "Is your gear OK?" We'd say OK and off we went, no JM check! We did 5 (3?) jumps in a day and the winds were high. Gave new meaning to "running with the wind"!

DZ Snowy was my favorite winter DZ. We'd kick an achio sled with our skis in it and ski off the DZ.

I forget the name of the DZ that was right behind the kaserne; it was kind of a boggy area. We were jumping out of a Huey and Davey Pills caught a thermal and it took him over the mountian. Tiny Young was the 4th man out , I was 7th. I had a delayed opening and beat Tiny to the ground . Chief Harrison was on the DZ and laughed his azz off at me!

I hadn't heard Omasta's name in 22 years either.

Yesterday I downloaded Google Earth and looked at arial shots of Tölz. Amazing! Try it! I couldn't find the Elbach run trails though.
De Oppresso Liber
Aoresteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 01:05   #79
12B4S
Quiet Professional

DZ Karen WAS a crap fest to jump into. There were times when I was first guy in the door. I swear, as the farmer shut off the valve to his honey wagon, I saw a very proud smirk.

Even when I was there, That area was popular for Soaring. Mountains, updrafts, thermals, downdrafts, winds from whatever direction. There were more than a few times some guy cut below me and swiped my air. Then again, it wasn't all that strange to look up at your canopy and see boot prints running across it. Sometimes they were my boots on another guy's chute. But when that wind gauge is read wrong coupled with the gusts. Holy crap!! Not to mention the various barbed wire fence lines. Did make for a great night at the NCO club though.

I've been using that Google earth deal for Toelz for a couple of weeks. Looking for an old friend. Well his Gasthof. Mike has been helping me out over there. I'll look back into one of the possibilities that Mike sent me and post it. This Gasthof had their own site. Unnnnnnnnnbelieveable! Mind you, he was going on how I described the lay of the land, for this place. I checked out the menu.

Kinda.... ummmmm..... humid there huh? I know, I lived in FL for a few years. Have an aunt in Tampa and a brother in Ft Myers.

Never had 79 degrees and 82% humidity, with a dewpoint of 73 in Toelz at 3AM.

Last edited by 12B4S; 08-06-2006 at 01:19.
12B4S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 23:48   #80
mike-munich
Guerrilla

Quote:
Well his Gasthof. Mike has been helping me out over there. I'll look back into one of the possibilities that Mike sent me and post it. This Gasthof had their own site. Unnnnnnnnnbelieveable! Mind you, he was going on how I described the lay of the land, for this place. I checked out the menu.
Brad, like I said, the best thing would be that we just cruise around the area and look for something familiar...

That farmer must have lived for a long time (and maybe is still alive). I remember him spraying the liquid BS until they closed Flint in 1991...
Old 08-07-2006, 03:22   #81
12B4S
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike-munich
Brad, like I said, the best thing would be that we just cruise around the area and look for something familiar...

That farmer must have lived for a long time (and maybe is still alive). I remember him spraying the liquid BS until they closed Flint in 1991...
LOL Mike, I agree. Either that or he taught his son/s well.

There is a great idea. Just drive around a mile or so west of the Isar and stop in any place that is open and lets us in, til we find that place.
Old 08-07-2006, 03:37   #82
mike-munich
Guerrilla

Quote:
LOL Mike, I agree. Either that or he taught his son/s well.

There is a great idea. Just drive around a mile or so west of the Isar and stop in any place that is open and lets us in, til we find that place.
Hahaha, yeah, could be his sons too...

That´s our best bet, we just try every Gasthof until we find the right one.

BTW: here is a pic of the knive I received at the closing ceremony in Bad Tölz, along with the Beret I got from the Team and my off-duty .45ACP Delta.

http://img75.imageshack.us/my.php?im...2006136qj6.jpg
Old 08-07-2006, 17:53   #83
12B4S
Quiet Professional

Damn Mike! That knife is fantastic. What a great piece of SF/Toelz history to have.
Old 08-07-2006, 23:56   #84
mike-munich
Guerrilla

Quote:
Damn Mike! That knife is fantastic. What a great piece of SF/Toelz history to have.
Thanks Brad ! It ranks #2 as my favorite collectibles from my days in Tölz, right after the Beret...
Old 08-08-2006, 04:19   #85
12B4S
Quiet Professional

Now... You see Mike!? I already knew that. Ya just sucked up some bandwidth from the server deal or something. Jeeeeeeeeeeez
Old 08-08-2006, 04:27   #86
mike-munich
Guerrilla

Quote:
Now... You see Mike!? I already knew that. Ya just sucked up some bandwidth from the server deal or something. Jeeeeeeeeeeez
Bandwidth ? Is that any good ? I show you how I suck up beer when you come to Tölz !
Old 08-08-2006, 18:26   #87
Richard
Quiet Professional

Guys,

Although my German is a bit rusty--obgleich mein Deutsch eine rostige Spitze ist--the gist of Mike-Munich's piece on Bad Tolz is:

Bad Tölz is an area of ultramodern, efficient economic centers offering various services, shops, and government and medical offices developed from approximately 25 hectares of the former American Flint Kaserne (army base).

The newly developed area is defined by the quadrangle of the former barracks buildings (once the home of the “Green Berests”) and the unique spiral architecture in the middle of the quadrangle.

The Flintcenter lies easily accessible to traffic on the northern outskirts of Bad Tölz and is comfortably reached by public transport or car (there are more than a hundred parking places located in the area). The train station is reached on foot in about 5 minutes.

One can find a number of investment opportunities in the vicinity, as well as the Hacker-Pschorr skating rink, Tölzer indoor swimming pool, a skate park, as well as the golf course.

...and it sure makes me miss it all...especially the Grünerbrau, Hacker-Pschorrbrau, Rosenheimerbrau, Auerbrau, and Spatenbrau beers.

Richard
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 23:29   #88
12B4S
Quiet Professional

My German is much rustier, but it works for me Richard.
Old 08-09-2006, 00:27   #89
mike-munich
Guerrilla

Well, my brother is car mechanic (Kfz-Meister). He told me that beer breaks up the rust pretty well....

Nevertheless, very good translation on Tölz piece !

Quote:
...and it sure makes me miss it all...
Sir, maybe a "reunion" in Tölz isn´t a bad idea after all. I think Brad starts to put away some funds, right ?
Old 08-09-2006, 01:06   #90
12B4S
Quiet Professional

That's why I drink beer. I'm just trying to keep my innards from rusting up.

The reunion in Toelz next fall is a great idea Mike. Good thing, I know how the folks over there like brewing fantastic beer. I don't have to worry about you sucking it all up.