Old 06-08-2007, 08:11   #1
jon1481
Asset

Helda's wine house

Anyone remember this enlisted soldier's water hole?
Old 06-08-2007, 19:00   #2
lksteve
Quiet Professional

i remember Hildegard's place up on the Brauneck...it was everyone's watering hole during ski training...bratwurst and knee benders...
""A man must know his destiny. if he does not recognize it, then he is lost. By this I mean, once, twice, or at the very most, three times, fate will reach out and tap a man on the shoulder. if he has the imagination, he will turn around and fate will point out to him what fork in the road he should take, if he has the guts, he will take it.""- GEN George S. Patton
lksteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 12:11   #3
SFS0AVN
Quiet Professional

Hilda's

Was Hilda's across from the Toelzer Brauerei? If so I remember it well.
I also spent many days on the front and back of the Brauneck. Great days.

"In a man-to-man fight, the winner is he who has one more round in his magazine."
Rommel
SFS0AVN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 06:20   #4
jon1481
Asset

Hild's

I don't remember streets but looking out the window I could see the river....30 -50 feet, maybe. There was a bridge close by that went into an area of Tolz that had many shops. I remember looking into the river and seeing good size trout. in the town of Tolz.
Old 06-10-2007, 08:41   #5
SFS0AVN
Quiet Professional

No, the place I was thinking about is in a different part of town. The place I was thinking about is/was across the street from the guy who made our mountain boots.
I do know where you're talking about. There was a jewelery shop down there that made the Trojan Horses.

"In a man-to-man fight, the winner is he who has one more round in his magazine."
Rommel
Old 06-10-2007, 10:41   #6
jon1481
Asset

Helda's

Helda's was on the second floor. The trojan horse shop , seems like a very faint memory..maybe..I think one of my team sgts.told me of that place. Ten cartons of cigarettes for a pair of boots ? I think this was about right, back when the mark was four to the dollar!
Old 06-10-2007, 13:22   #7
SFS0AVN
Quiet Professional

That's been a long time ago. The guy who made the Trojan Horses destroyed the mold back about 1960 and I don't think the shoe maker who made the boots, or the jeweler, are still alive. I think I paid about 25 D Marks for the boots. Those were some gooood boots.

Rommel
Old 06-11-2007, 06:32   #8
jon1481
Asset

long time ago

10-4................a long time ago and I'm not able to remember as much as I would like to...........just parts of the past...........
Old 06-11-2007, 06:51   #9
SF18C
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon1481
10-4................a long time ago and I'm not able to remember as much as I would like to...........just parts of the past...........

Please take this a comment of total respect for those that blazed a trail for me to follow...please someone write a book before all the history and glory of the Tolz days are fogotten and gone! I was lucky enough to pass thru the gates of Flint Caserne back in '89 or '90n - to take a shower (this was a reward my PLT received during Platoon Confidence Training- PCT). Had I understood at the time where I was going I would have taken more time to soak in the history and significance of that wonderful place. I did have an opportunity to travel thru the Bad Tolz area in 2004, but it was painfully apparent that many things had changed since the 10th SFG days!

With any luck I will be moving back to northern Italy this fall and will again make a pilgrimage to the sacred land of Tolz!
"De Oppresso Liber"

Nomination for PS.com Quote of the Decade!
SF18C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 11:39   #10
sg1987
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF18C
I was lucky enough to pass thru the gates of Flint Caserne back in '89 or '90n - to take a shower (this was a reward my PLT received during Platoon Confidence Training- PCT).

I assume the "shower" was still a fire hose; I believe in the basement of a gym if memory serves me correctly?
Old 11-29-2007, 06:56   #11
Harold J Bigley
Asset

The other place was located on the Säggasse just west of the mountain boot shop. It was a bit smaller and run by an older dark haired lady; right now the name escapes me. I know both places well as I spent many a night in both from 1962-1965. The jewelery shop was located on the west side of the Tölzer Bridge. Both the boot shop and the jewelry and boot shop are still there.
Harold J Bigley is offline   Reply With Quote