Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces > 10th Special Forces Group

Old 06-12-2007, 05:09   #31
Rogue
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike-munich
Rogue, das sind sie wirklich. Ich brauche die Berge, egal ob in Bayern oder in den USA.
My father's family is from Bad Beuren, and my mother's family is from Saltzburg. So yes, Ich liebe die Berge auch!

Practice honesty and integrity; rescue the man who has been wronged from the hands of his oppressor; do not exploit the stranger, the orphan, the widow; do no violence; shed no innocent blood in this place. Jer 22:3

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” ~ Edmund Burke
Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 05:32   #32
mike-munich
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue8261
My father's family is from Bad Beuren, and my mother's family is from Saltzburg. So yes, Ich liebe die Berge auch!
Dann verstehe ich das gut ! Too bad there are no significant mountains in Ohio...
Old 06-12-2007, 05:55   #33
Rogue
Guerrilla Chief

Die schönste Szene, die immer in meinem Verstand haftet, ist die Linie der Berge, die, Sie beim Fahren von Munchen zu Saltsburg sehen.

Practice honesty and integrity; rescue the man who has been wronged from the hands of his oppressor; do not exploit the stranger, the orphan, the widow; do no violence; shed no innocent blood in this place. Jer 22:3

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” ~ Edmund Burke
Old 06-12-2007, 06:52   #34
mike-munich
Guerrilla

That´s right, down A8 towards Chiemsee, Bad Aibling to your left, the Alps to your right. I used to drive down there twice a week, until they closed Bad Aibling Station in 2003 and moved the equipment elsewhere...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg badaiblingview.jpg (51.0 KB, 77 views)
Old 06-13-2007, 10:53   #35
Rogue
Guerrilla Chief

Have you ever ridden the cable car up the mountain just outside of Saltzburg?

What a beautiful site. My mother had edelweiss flowers pressed in a book which she had picked on that mountain when she was a child.

One of my favorite places to visit.

Old 06-13-2007, 23:43   #36
mike-munich
Guerrilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue8261
Have you ever ridden the cable car up the mountain just outside of Saltzburg?

What a beautiful site. My mother had edelweiss flowers pressed in a book which she had picked on that mountain when she was a child.

One of my favorite places to visit.
Which one ? There are several cable cars around Salzburg. I did go up to the Hohensalzburg Fortress a couple of times. Beautiful overlook of the town... There are some others on he surrounding mountains as well (I think there is a total of 128 cable cars in the area).

Picking Edelweiss flowers get you into jail these days.

We´ve been going down to Salzburg since 30 years. It didn´t change much. Thank God.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hohensalzburg2.JPG (36.1 KB, 87 views)
Old 06-14-2007, 04:40   #37
Rogue
Guerrilla Chief

Untersberg. Last time I was there, we spent the day on the mountain, then spent the evening at a B&B in Seekirchen. Lebergnoedel soupe for dinner and lots of Weitzenbeer.

Nichts in dieser Welt mögen einen Weitzenbeer Kater.

Last edited by Rogue; 06-14-2007 at 04:46.
Old 06-14-2007, 05:02   #38
mike-munich
Guerrilla

Ah, Untersberg. Das ist auf der deutschen Seite, nicht auf der österreichischen.

Weizenbier, or Weissbier as we call it in Bavaria, is my favorite too. Especially the dunkle Weissbier. A Leberknödelsuppe goes perfect with that, along with a couple of frische Brez´n.

Dang, now I´m hungry....
Old 12-18-2007, 16:38   #39
RB
Quiet Professional

Been back and forth...

a cupple times. Really liked Germany.

If you look close at the two photos on page 1, they're taken from very nearly the exact spot, some 30-40 years later looks like. The statue looks like it changed a bit and of course, the seasons different, but the rooftops are the same.......

Pretty impressive.....

~D-6606~
RB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 01:31   #40
mike-munich
Guerrilla

Yeah, that's what I like about Germany. The buildings (including the roofs) are built to last. It's more expensive to build this way, but houses last a hundret years or longer.
Old 09-25-2009, 13:05   #41
Ramrod 1
Asset

Marketstrasse is almost identical today to what it was when I was there in the '80s. Back then they allowed cars, today it's pedestrian only for the majority of the street -- from just below the Turmkeller, to right above the Isar bridge.
Ramrod 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 20:32   #42
alfromcolorado
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramrod 1 View Post
Marketstrasse is almost identical today to what it was when I was there in the '80s. Back then they allowed cars, today it's pedestrian only for the majority of the street -- from just below the Turmkeller, to right above the Isar bridge.
I was there in 2008 (or was it 2007 Mike?) and Marktstr. looked the same but it looked freshly painted and better maintained. One restaurant I used to get a bite now and then from was closed up and empty...
alfromcolorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 01:33   #43
10thgroupvet
Quiet Professional

Went back there as they were shutting it down in 93-94. Just made me want to cry...
10thgroupvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 21:17   #44
mitchw
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12B4S View Post
Yep! Always need to remember the most important part of a language lk. I'm going to have to try everything on the menu. BTW. I was in Vegas a couple weeks ago. The day I was leaving, I came across the Hofbräuhaus. A replica of the one in Munich. Next trip, definately going to be in there.
Ah, I live in Vegas. The Hofbrauhaus is a wonderful place. I was unsure of how authentic it was, but perhaps more than I thought?
mitchw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 23:46   #45
lksteve
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchw View Post
Ah, I live in Vegas. The Hofbrauhaus is a wonderful place. I was unsure of how authentic it was, but perhaps more than I thought?
Kidding, right? I visited there a time or two...It's just not the same...
""A man must know his destiny. if he does not recognize it, then he is lost. By this I mean, once, twice, or at the very most, three times, fate will reach out and tap a man on the shoulder. if he has the imagination, he will turn around and fate will point out to him what fork in the road he should take, if he has the guts, he will take it.""- GEN George S. Patton
lksteve is offline   Reply With Quote