Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces > 10th Special Forces Group

Old 07-26-2011, 16:19   #16
Richard
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utah Bob View Post
Run? When I was there we skied in the winter and humped in the summer.

Of course that was just after the Franco-Prussian War.
Ah - the Schlieffen Plan - we studied it but were up to OPLAN 4102 by the time I got there and only had to worry about fighting in one direction.

Richard
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 02:19   #17
alby502
Asset

6 mile run

Hello,
I served in 1/10 between 1987-1990. There was a period that our "higher ups" developed an ODA validation. Part of that process was a timed 6 mile run under 50 minutes. You may be thinking of that. I only had to run it once. I think it was Feb 1989 (?) that B Co did it.
alby502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 06:18   #18
Stras
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by alby502 View Post
Hello,
I served in 1/10 between 1987-1990. There was a period that our "higher ups" developed an ODA validation. Part of that process was a timed 6 mile run under 50 minutes. You may be thinking of that. I only had to run it once. I think it was Feb 1989 (?) that B Co did it.
Alby502,

Welcome to the website. Please comply with the instructions that you were given by the Moderators. Please post an Intro before making any other posts.

De Oppresso Liber
Stras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 16:39   #19
Bennett
Quiet Professional

Trojan Warrior

I remember it well, the Gummymeyer hill run that started at the water station at the end of upper housing (10K). PT test that afternoon, then range with the test then a three day hump to just south of Munich and back. Tore my feet up we had just spent the week before in the water at Chiemsee. I seem to remember the 015 using their Nubian from the survival packs? Anyway 013 “won” so they got to go to Bragg and do it all over again, never laughed so hard when we found out. Coach Helt and Jean Wilson were so pissed. Ya, good times.
De Oppresso Liber
[FONT="Times New Roman"][SIZE="2"]
Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 00:38   #20
alby502
Asset

Validation Trojan Warrior

I remember the first day being an APFT, swim test, range, 100 question SQT-related test with 6 or so pull ups before the test, then the 10k under 50 minutes. The next three days were hands-on skills tests before, between and after two 10 mile legs each day. I always thought my feet were pretty hard until I finished the 60th mile.......

My biggset complaint was that Bn staff kept on changing what we were to do giving the appearance of a bunch of staff weenies dreaming up things to do without testing things out themselves of course. Never mind that no one had the manuals that the questions were to come from.

Anyway.....
alby502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 22:13   #21
Combat Diver
Quiet Professional

You would also think that the Bn Cdr and CSM would be at the gate when teams came in from those 3 days of marching. Never saw them, did have a good time. Bennett, yeah there were a few that did go into those packs. I do remember SFC Allen having racks of beer in the Isar River for us when we got to the 18B site.

CD
Combat Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 10:33   #22
Aoresteen
Quiet Professional

Around '82 (??) COL Holt had ALL ODAs run a full or half marathon at Chiemsee. We (ODA 123) opted for the 1/2 and called it a day.

Other than that, just the 2 mile run. We did have a timed rucksack march from DZ Karen back to Tolz but no run.
De Oppresso Liber
Aoresteen is offline   Reply With Quote