Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Special Forces > 10th Special Forces Group

Old 01-18-2007, 23:02   #1
lj98
Asset

Early 10th SFG History

Greetings Gentlemen,

As mentioned in my introduction, I am currently working on my master's degree in history. I am currently doing cursory research to determine if my project is workable or not. I am looking at the early years of the 10th SFG, particularly the years 1953-1961 while stationed in Bad Toelz. My main purpose in coming here is to seek out any information regarding active operations conducted by the 10th. Most of the books I have looked at so far have only mentioned this period very generally.
While searching the site, I located this thread:
http://professionalsoldiers.com/foru...forces+history
It verifies to me that the information I would require is available which might suit my research goals. If anyone here has any information (first-hand or second-hand), I would like to speak to them (pm would be fine) if anyone is willing.
I appreciate in advance any assistance you can provide.
lj98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 00:02   #2
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

You know, the phrase "active operations" usually involves classified missions.

If you were read in and you have not been read out, or seen that it has clearly been declassified, it still is.

We do not allow the solicitation of classified info on this board. lj, I hope you roger what I am saying. It would be most unfortunate if you did not.

There will be no leaks originating here.

Have a very SF day.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 00:28   #3
lj98
Asset

No, I am most definitely not seeking classified information, and I apologize if it came across that way. In fact, that is precisely what I am attempting to ascertain. If the information is not out there/available, I need to move on to another topic. I do know that several of the early cold war records have recently been declassified. My primary concern is that the articles/books I have looked at so far merely mention 10th SFG being split and stationed in Bad Toelz. I was worried that being such a new unit, there would be nothing concrete to look into. The first post in the thread I found on here is about all the info that I was seeking. Nothing specific, but an indication that at least some information is available in open sources. I am hoping to find as much during my research. However, I am about to meet with my advisor to propose my topic, and would like to make certain that it is do-able. I should have rephrased my question to include any literature that covers this area as well, beyond the popular writings out. Thank you for your response, I will be more careful in my phrasings in the future.
lj98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 08:50   #4
Jafa
Asset

ODA023 1/10th SFG

Hi, I have question about ODA023 1/10th SFG. I read in past some information, but only very very few...... For first does enyone know if this ODA exist in this moment. For second what are their activity in past, also there is another question: have this ODA in past some specified areas of responsibility??
.... many thanks for any answer
Jafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 08:52   #5
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jafa
Hi, I have question about ODA023 1/10th SFG. I read in past some information, but only very very few...... For first does enyone know if this ODA exist in this moment. For second what are their activity in past, also there is another question: have this ODA in past some specified areas of responsibility??
What is the purpose of your questions?

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

Old 03-21-2007, 09:02   #6
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:

Jafa,

We do not answer questions such as the ones you just asked.

Also an ODA's area of responsibility is "classified" information.

Have a nice day! (How is the weather in Prague?)

Team Sergeant
Old 03-21-2007, 09:18   #7
Jafa
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper
What is the purpose of your questions?

TR
Sorry..... I´m sometime helping with animation of airsoft actions ( two - seven days long simulation of military operations for young people that like all about millitary ; there are many interesting thigs like books about military and its history; what are soldiers wearing now in any national armys and what is their equipment; presentig highlights in military technology and publiched operations; and more ). Now we have here one as unit that wear this name ODA023 1/10th SFG, and they want to join our action. But our requirement is, that registred units must imitate some of real units ( in past or in present ) of any country ( it depends if scenario of action is in historical or preset time )............... that's it, but now I want also know it for my self , now I have a bee in one's bonnet
Old 03-21-2007, 09:24   #8
Jafa
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Sergeant
Jafa,

We do not answer questions such as the ones you just asked.

Also an ODA's area of responsibility is "classified" information.

Have a nice day! (How is the weather in Prague?)

Team Sergeant
Thank you ....... yes I know ODA's area of responsibility is "classified" information, but in past also? I meen for exampel in cold war .......... Tomorow was here in Prague snowy and today also, like in winter , the weather is crazy. One week before, we have here sunny weather and around 19 Celsium degrees
Old 03-21-2007, 09:25   #9
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Sorry..... I´m sometime helping with animation of airsoft actions ( two - seven days long simulation of military operations for young people that like all about millitary ; there are many interesting thigs like books about military and its history; what are soldiers wearing now in any national armys and what is their equipment; presentig highlights in military technology and publiched operations; and more ). Now we have here one as unit that wear this name ODA023 1/10th SFG, and they want to join our action. But our requirement is, that registred units must imitate some of real units ( in past or in present ) of any country ( it depends if scenario of action is in historical or preset time )............... that's it, but now I want also know it for my self , now I have a bee in one's bonnet
Refer to the TS's response above.

We are not fond of Airsoft wannabes on this site. "Professional soldiers" are not airsofters. ODA 023 was a professional military unit, not a bunch of kids playing war.

You will not get the answer to your question here. Please do not ask questions like that again.

Good day.

TR

Old 03-21-2007, 09:34   #10
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Thank you ....... yes I know ODA's area of responsibility is "classified" information, but in past also? I meen for exampel in cold war ..........
Yes even in the past an ODA's mission can still be classified.

Especially "cold war" missions.

TS
Old 03-21-2007, 09:42   #11
Jafa
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper
Refer to the TS's response above.

We are not fond of Airsoft wannabes on this site. "Professional soldiers" are not airsofters. ODA 023 was a professional military unit, not a bunch of kids playing war.

You will not get the answer to your question here. Please do not ask questions like that again.

Good day.

TR
Ok, thank you..... I know that you are not fond of Airsoft wannabes on this site and that here are real professional soldiers. I respect it.

Question was only for my personal information because I'm interested in special forces. So I'm sorry.

Have nice day
Old 02-27-2008, 07:11   #12
swattrapper
Asset

10th & 77th SFG 1953-54

Am looking for anyone who may still be around who served with my father, DOUGLAS JENNINGS, in the 10th and 77th in 1953-54. He started out in the 10th as a radio operator, his radio operator school certificate is signed by Col. Aaron Bank. When the 10th left for Bad Tolz he remained behind with the 77th.
He died in 1981 and I've been looking for any info I can find on his SF service. Have been able to get some info at SFA conventions and through internet queries, but not a heck of a lot. I'm a retired SWAT commander and very proud of my father's service so I would like to be able to pass along any info to his grandsons.
Thanks in advance for any help.
swattrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 07:47   #13
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by swattrapper View Post
Am looking for anyone who may still be around who served with my father, DOUGLAS JENNINGS, in the 10th and 77th in 1953-54. He started out in the 10th as a radio operator, his radio operator school certificate is signed by Col. Aaron Bank. When the 10th left for Bad Tolz he remained behind with the 77th.
He died in 1981 and I've been looking for any info I can find on his SF service. Have been able to get some info at SFA conventions and through internet queries, but not a heck of a lot. I'm a retired SWAT commander and very proud of my father's service so I would like to be able to pass along any info to his grandsons.
Thanks in advance for any help.
Did you get a registration message for this site?

You might want to read it, along with the rules and stickies.

TR

Old 03-07-2008, 08:56   #14
Blitzzz (RIP)
Quiet Professional

Thanks to Team Sgt and The Reaper

I'm new in here but am very impressed on your handling of the Dweeb , Jafa. Thanks Blitz

To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.
Thomas Jefferson
Blitzzz (RIP) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 11:46   #15
greenberetTFS
Quiet Professional (RIP)

The Originals by Doris C. Baker

A story that begins before JFK authorized "Green Berets", when the 10th Special Forces first arrived in Bad Tolz,Germany in 1953.....Maximilian Press Publishers.
I believe that SF is a 'calling' - not too different from the calling missionaries I know received. I knew instantly that it was for me, and that I would do all I could to achieve it. Most others I know in SF experienced something similar. If, as you say, you HAVE searched and read, and you do not KNOW if this is the path for you --- it is not....
Zonie Diver

SF is a calling and it requires commitment and dedication that the uninitiated will never understand......
Jack Moroney

SFA M-2527, Chapter XXXVII

Last edited by greenberetTFS; 04-07-2008 at 12:00.
greenberetTFS is offline   Reply With Quote