Old 03-26-2013, 20:06   #1
Richard
Quiet Professional

US Training Syrian Fighters in Jordan

Now this could cause some problems...

Richard

US Training Syrian Fighters in Jordan
AP, 25 Mar 2013

For months now, the United States has been training secular Syrian fighters in Jordan with the goal of bolstering the array of forces battling President Bashar Assad's regime while at the same time strengthening the hand of moderates among the country's fractured opposition, American and foreign officials said. They said the effort is ongoing.

The training has been taking place since late last year at an unspecified location, concentrating largely on Sunnis and tribal Bedouins who formerly served as members of the Syrian army, officials told The Associated Press. The forces aren't members of the leading rebel group, the Free Syrian Army, they said. The U.S. and others fear the growing role of extremist militia groups in the rebel ranks, including some linked to al-Qaida.

Officials said the operation is being run by U.S. intelligence. But those in Washington stressed that the U.S. was only providing nonlethal aid at this point, stopping short of a step that is being increasingly advocated by lawmakers in Congress but which the Obama administration opposes.

Others such as Britain and France are involved, officials added, though it's unclear whether any Western government is providing materiel or other direct military support after two years of civil war that, according to the United Nations, already has killed more than 70,000 people.

The officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they weren't authorized to speak publicly about the program.

Officially, the Obama administration has been vague on the subject of what type of military training it may be providing, while insisting that it is doing all it can -- short of providing weapons to the rebels or engaging in its own military intervention - to hasten the demise of the Assad family's four-decade dictatorship.

White House spokesman Josh Earnest said Monday the U.S. has "provided some logistical nonlethal support that has also come in handy for the Syrian rebels who are, again, fighting a regime that is not hesitating to use the military might of that regime against its own people.

"That is something we're going to continue to work to bring to an end," he told reporters.

It's unclear what effect the training has had in the conflict. It has become a quagmire, with Assad's regime unable to snuff out the rebellion and Syria's opposition incapable thus far of delivering any serious blow to the ruling government's grip on Damascus and control over much of the country.

Some of the Syrians the U.S. is involved with are in turn training other Syrians inside the country, officials said.

They declined to provide more information because they said that would go too deep into intelligence matters. Defense Department officials insisted the Pentagon isn't involved with any military training or arms provisions to the Syrian rebels, either directly or indirectly. The CIA declined to comment.

The New York Times reported Monday that the CIA helped Arab governments and Turkey sharply increase their military aid to Syria's opposition in recent months, with secret airlifts of arms and equipment. It cited traffic data, officials in several countries and rebel commanders, and said the airlift began on a small scale a year ago but has expanded steadily to more than 160 military cargo flights by Jordanian, Saudi and Qatari planes landing at Turkish and Jordanian airports.

The training in Jordan, however, suggests the U.S. help is aimed somewhat at enhancing the rebels' capacity in southern Syria, the birthplace of the revolution two years ago when teenagers in the sleepy agricultural outpost of Dara'a scribbled graffiti on a wall and were tossed into jail, spurring Syria's own version of an Arab Spring uprising. Much of the violence since, however, has been in the northern part of the country, where rebels have scored several military successes after the Assad regime cracked down brutally on peaceful protesters.

Despite months of U.S. and international support to build a cohesive political movement, Syria's fractured opposition is still struggling to rally Syrians behind a common post-Assad vision. And the opposition coalition appears as much hampered by its political infighting as its military deficiencies against an Assad regime arsenal of tanks, fighter jets and Scud missiles.

The coalition's president, Mouaz al-Khatib, resigned his position Sunday because of what he described as restrictions on his work and frustration with the level of international aid. He said Monday he would still represent the opposition this week in Doha, where the Gulf state of Qatar will host a two-day Arab League summit starting Tuesday.

Al-Khatib's resignation comes only days after the opposition chose Ghassan Hitto, a long-time Texas resident, to head its interim government after intense wrangling over posts and influence that U.S. officials say has strained the opposition's unity and caused friction among its primary benefactors Saudi Arabia, Qatar and Turkey.

It's also unclear how al-Khatib's departure will affect the U.S. goal of political negotiations with amenable members of the Assad regime to end the civil war, given the moderate preacher's support for talks. Much of the Syrian opposition, including Hitto, rejects such talks.

http://www.military.com/daily-news/2...tml?ESRC=eb.nl
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 20:18   #2
mark46th
Quiet Professional

Remember lessons learned from Fidel and the Taliban....
mark46th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 16:03   #3
MtnGoat
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark46th View Post
Remember lessons learned from Fidel and the Taliban....
Amen Brother!!

History teaches that when you become indifferent and lose the will to fight someone who has the will to fight will take over."

COLONEL BULL SIMONS

Intelligence failures are failures of command [just] as operations failures are command failures.”
MtnGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 17:23   #4
Trapper John
Quiet Professional

Hmmm? Sounds familiar- see the attachment in the thread "Special Operations Seek Bigger Role in Conflict Resolutions" Post #5.

IMO this is conceptually a good strategy, especially in that the Syrian regime is an Iranian surrogate. As before the issue boils down to political will to provide the necessary level of support over the long haul.

FID missions IMO are very effective strategies to prevent more costly big Army interventions. I am just not sure that the political leadership has figured out how to effectively employ the strategy.
Old 05-29-2013, 08:16   #5
aussie
Asset

Getting involved in Syria

I think getting involved in Syria is a bad idea. Look at Egypt and Libya, both now run by Islamic fundamentalists. My opinion is that if Assad falls from power, then extremist elements will take over. True you mitigate the Iranian, Hezbollah, Syrian partnership; however, the difference being that Assad is a known entity, his regime is predictable. If the Al Ansur come to power in Syria, the long term implications are unpredicatable. We might find ourselves back in Syria like Afganistan, advocating free rights for women and dismantling the next terrorist training nests...my 2 cents.

As for the strategy? The Arabs are kept at bay with a secular dictator, I say we keep him there...
aussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 09:06   #6
Team Sergeant
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie View Post
I think getting involved in Syria is a bad idea. Look at Egypt and Libya, both now run by Islamic fundamentalists. My opinion is that if Assad falls from power, then extremist elements will take over. True you mitigate the Iranian, Hezbollah, Syrian partnership; however, the difference being that Assad is a known entity, his regime is predictable. If the Al Ansur come to power in Syria, the long term implications are unpredicatable. We might find ourselves back in Syria like Afganistan, advocating free rights for women and dismantling the next terrorist training nests...my 2 cents.

As for the strategy? The Arabs are kept at bay with a secular dictator, I say we keep him there....
I could not agree more...... but with the current simply minded administration we are dammed to repeat the past mistakes. Our children will be fighting in the middle east in the decades to come.
Team Sergeant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 09:54   #7
SF Hunter
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie View Post

As for the strategy? The Arabs are kept at bay with a secular dictator, I say we keep him there...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Sergeant View Post
I could not agree more...... but with the current simply minded administration we are dammed to repeat the past mistakes. Our children will be fighting in the middle east in the decades to come.
You are both right as rain. Syria is not a civil war, but a religious war. We have no business getting involved in Syria. Neither side is friend of the U.S. and it will come to bite us in the butt.

What The Syrian Civil War Is Really All About
http://sofrep.com/21100/what-the-syr...lly-all-about/
Old 05-29-2013, 21:19   #8
AF Doc
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF Hunter View Post

Neither side is friend of the U.S. and it will come to bite us in the butt.
Concur. Syria is a lose/lose situation. Stand back and let them sort this out. I don't see the point in antagonizing the Russians either.
AF Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 21:22   #9
mark46th
Quiet Professional

I'm not sure how we could have done this but I would have been for getting involved if there was a way we could have used the situation to knock out or at least put a serious crimp in the Hezbollah/Hamas/Iran connection.
Old 05-29-2013, 22:52   #10
MR2
Quiet Professional

Getting involved? Harry Reid would have us build a high-speed rail line from the Iranian border straight into Southern Lebanon and called it "Winning".

It's Never Crowded Along the Extra Mile - Wayne Dyer

WOKE = Willfully Overlooking Known Evil
MR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 17:53   #11
mark46th
Quiet Professional

Brush- Kinda like we should have been doing in Afghanistan all this time...
Old 06-28-2013, 10:32   #12
Trapper John
Quiet Professional

I wonder how the CIA vetting process is going?

http://www.asianews.it/news-en/Attac...ead-28324.html
Old 06-28-2013, 11:02   #13
SF_BHT
Quiet Professional

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapper John View Post
I wonder how the CIA vetting process is going?

http://www.asianews.it/news-en/Attac...ead-28324.html
Ok I do not see the connection?
SF_BHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 11:42   #14
Trapper John
Quiet Professional

Sorry, sometimes I am thinking so loudly that I think others can hear me.

The connection is, as confirmed by the MSM recently, that the U.S. will be arming Syrian rebels that have been "vetted" by the CIA. An exercise in folly IMO. The post was a case-in-point.
Old 06-28-2013, 12:09   #15
SF_BHT
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapper John View Post
Sorry, sometimes I am thinking so loudly that I think others can hear me.

The connection is, as confirmed by the MSM recently, that the U.S. will be arming Syrian rebels that have been "vetted" by the CIA. An exercise in folly IMO. The post was a case-in-point.
Ok that is what I thought but what about the other 90% of the remaining fanatics out here. Also that article had no linkage to a vetted group.....

I think it was just the everyday Islamic nut that hates anyone that is not a Muslim.
SF_BHT is offline   Reply With Quote