Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Area Studies > Middle East

Old 11-05-2012, 17:46   #16
scooter
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
I seriously doubt if Afghan's security would be ready in 2525 if Buck Rogers was the theater CINC.

Richard
We can do that?

Sweeeeeeeet....
scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 21:10   #17
ZonieDiver
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brush Okie View Post
What do you think about going to the root of the problem. Cut of financianl aid to the pakis. Take out hteir nukes then let india with US air support kick the shit out of pakistan so they can turn it into a part of their country.

Next bomb the shit out of Iran just like Regan used to do until they quit supporting the TB

I know out current politicans on both parties dont have the balls to do this but what do you think of the plan. After all the real success in COIN is to cut their support and we all know where that comes from but the US govt doesnt have the balls to admit it for some reason.
1) I'm not sure how we 'take out their nukes' so easily, without any 'spillover'.
2) I'm not sure how others might view the India v. Pakistan dust-up.
3) Don Regan????
4) If Ronald Reagan...when the hell did he bomb Iran?

Just asking...
Old 11-05-2012, 22:19   #18
MtnGoat
Quiet Professional

Quote:
What do you think about going to the root of the problem. Cut of financianl aid to the pakis. Take out hteir nukes then let india with US air support kick the shit out of pakistan so they can turn it into a part of their country.

Next bomb the shit out of Iran just like Regan used to do until they quit supporting the TB

I know out current politicans on both parties dont have the balls to do this but what do you think of the plan. After all the real success in COIN is to cut their support and we all know where that comes from but the US govt doesnt have the balls to admit it for some reason.
Cutting financianl aid to the pakis would help, but I foresee that's to late. Take their Nukes.. you're crazy.. No way, Not happening. US sucks at Aid to countries is all I'll say.

The whole PK VS India would cause way to many issues for the world now.

Iran influence in Afghanistan doesn't need a Nuke. They have little effect here really..IMO. How many shias are here?? Okay lets relook that statement now.

History teaches that when you become indifferent and lose the will to fight someone who has the will to fight will take over."

COLONEL BULL SIMONS

Intelligence failures are failures of command [just] as operations failures are command failures.”

Last edited by MtnGoat; 11-05-2012 at 23:00.
MtnGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 12:26   #19
MtnGoat
Quiet Professional

Quote:
So what you are saying is we cant kill our way to success in a COIN. So why do we have a shit load of conventionl troops there again?
I think myself, and thousands of others have been saying this for years. I really feel that no one understood Gen McChrystal Afghan concept of COIN. There is a good RAND Counterinsurgency Study that draws on other reports in the PDF that examining 89 modern COIN ops in various countries. Shooting people in the face doesn’t work IMO is the BLUF message in COIN. Just like Commands think targeting IED cells is the way to reduce IED threats around a Firebase.

History teaches that when you become indifferent and lose the will to fight someone who has the will to fight will take over."

COLONEL BULL SIMONS

Intelligence failures are failures of command [just] as operations failures are command failures.”
Old 11-06-2012, 12:29   #20
MtnGoat
Quiet Professional

As far as the PK vs India thing.. this is my take.. off topic but I do feel their relationship is critial to Afghanistan.

The relationship between India, Pakistan, USA, UK , Russian and China are some of the strangest ones going on for the last couple of decades. Ever since the partition of the Britain sub-continent was dismantled in 1947, India and Pakistan have been arch rivals. From the disputed kashmir line to the Intel services for both countries playing their games with each other and different partners. You can go back and look at the war between India and Pakistan in 1999 and how close we came to a nuclear war, it may have been small, but it was very close and a NUCLEAR WAR. Which lead to General Pervez Musharraf led a military coup in Pakistan. Pakistan have always claimed that the forces in Kashmir were "freedom fighters" fighting for the liberation of Indian-administered Jammu and Kashmir. Typically BS, just as the ISI created the LET which has done so many of the different attack within India itself. So if anyone thinks they can just walk into your house and take your TVs from every room in your house. Then come again brother because you’re crazy or you need to let those ovaries drop and become balls again. That is what your stating, international community calling for removal of Nukes from a country, even just the USA or UK or Both. Hell, look at what has been going on with Iran for the last, what TEN YEARS!! Yeah that’s worked well. Most people don’t know that India had detonated its first nuclear device in 1974, not 1994 or 1998. Pakistan said it had acquired the scientific know-how to make a nuclear bomb in 1992. SO Lets look here, it took India 24 years to openly test a nuke but only 6 years for Pakistan. Humm?

Controlling the problems of Pakistan and their Insurgency is all tied back to the ISI and PAKMIL. Which you can NEVER reove them from the equation. Not anytime soon, nor soon enough.

COLONEL BULL SIMONS

Old 11-06-2012, 12:42   #21
BKKMAN
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnGoat View Post
I think myself, and thousands of others have been saying this for years. I really feel that no one understood Gen McChrystal Afghan concept of COIN. There is a good RAND Counterinsurgency Study that draws on other reports in the PDF that examining 89 modern COIN ops in various countries. Shooting people in the face doesn’t work IMO is the BLUF message in COIN. Just like Commands think targeting IED cells is the way to reduce IED threats around a Firebase.
You talking about this one?

It is not inequality which is the real misfortune, it is dependence. Voltaire
BKKMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 12:44   #22
MtnGoat
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKKMAN View Post
You talking about this one?
RGR.. I think their a good read. No way the answer, but a probable solutions. BUt food for throught(s).

Thanks for the post of it.

COLONEL BULL SIMONS

Last edited by MtnGoat; 11-06-2012 at 12:50.
Old 11-06-2012, 13:44   #23
MR2
Quiet Professional

Counterinsurgency in Iraq 2003-2006 - Bruce R. Pirnie & Edward O’Connell ( Rand, 2006);

It's Never Crowded Along the Extra Mile - Wayne Dyer

WOKE = Willfully Overlooking Known Evil
MR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 22:13   #24
MtnGoat
Quiet Professional

Quote:
I dont think the conventional military has ever quite understood COIN and that SOF has lost their way in their way to COIN. The principals have been there for years yet the US never seems to be able to see the forest for the trees with COIN. It amazes me that we think we can make A-stan a single country. IMHO the brits carved up that area so they never would have unity ie India vs Pakistan vs A-stan. Iraq vs Iran etc etc. To think we can fix that is a fantasy and some type of non centrilized govt based on tribal rule would be the best bet for stability in that region. Plese forgive my sarcasm in making my point.
You maybe right about the old British Empire here. I too think that Astan can only have a centeral goverment that is only worried about things is maybe Kabul, Kandahar, Herat, Mes and possibly Jbad. Outside of major cities, no "centeral Goverment" will ever work here.

The Taliban will become something in this countries future, just as will all the other "elements" with three and four letter acronyms. Behind the scene talks with taliban have been going on for over a year now.

As far as the Conventional Army, I think the U.S. Military knows what to do on paper as far as COIN. But once they get on the ground things change. Case studies need to be done between the successful stories and the ones that didn't do well in the same area(s).

COLONEL BULL SIMONS