Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Area Studies > Middle East

Old 02-05-2012, 03:58   #16
T-Rock
BANNED USER

Quote:
This guy doesnt even recognize Islam for what it is.
I do, Islam is the petri-dish which allows vile pathogens to grow and flourish…
T-Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 00:17   #17
wmaousley
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF-TX View Post
Ok then. What is Islam?

In a nut shell, The religion of the Muslims, a monotheistic faith regarded as revealed through Muhammad as the Prophet of God.
wmaousley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 00:25   #18
wmaousley
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion5 View Post
wmaousley,

You live in the Middle East and work for Oil & Gas. You apparently have unique insight into Islam. I, too, would like to hear your answer.

o5

I think one of the biggest perceptions of Muslims is that all follow a strict Islamic code, which is farthest from the truth.

Islam has its following just like Christianity, Judaism etc; Since I have been in the ME I see many who identify as Muslim but drink alcohol, eat pork, have tattoo's and many other things Islam forbids.

This is normal in any religious sect. WHy do we as westerners hold those who Identify as Islamic to a higher standard than we hold ourselves? Are we looking for the greater good, or are we looking to point out someone's faults? Think about that for a reason.

I have a huge respect for all religions, and could care less how you pray, or who you pray too.

I judge a man by his character not his religious beliefs.
Old 02-06-2012, 00:29   #19
wmaousley
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
The answer will depend on if you're an 80%er or a 20%er.

But the religion of peace was toasting some more civilians in Bagdad the last day or so.

Boko Haram is working hard to get out front in the church burning and civilian slaughtering tally count.
The KKK burns churches every year across the southern United States. Did we go after the KKK in the 40's, 50's, 60's & 70's for burning down churches and hold them responsible? NOPE

This is what I was talking about in the other post. We only look for the bad in others so we can point fingers. Lets look at our own and start with policing them before we point fingers.

Yeah what you mention above is horrible and these people identify as muslims but arent recognized by the islamic community.
Old 02-06-2012, 00:39   #20
T-Rock
BANNED USER

Quote:
Islam has its following just like Christianity, Judaism etc...
Islam is unique in having a developed doctrine, theology, and legal system that mandates warfare against unbelievers..., it is a legal imperative to do so...

"O you who believe! do not take the Jews and the Christians for friends; they are friends of each other; and whoever amongst you takes them for a friend, then surely he is one of them; surely Allah does not guide the unjust people." (5:51), therefore, "...Fight those who do not believe in Allah...nor follow the religion of truth, out of those who have been given the Book, until they pay the tax in acknowledgment of superiority and they are in a state of subjection. (9:29) also,..."The Day of Judgement will not come about until Muslims fight the Jews (killing the Jews), when the Jew will hide behind stones and trees. The stones and trees will say O Muslims, O Abdulla, there is a Jew behind me, come and kill him. Only the Gharkad tree, would not do that because it is one of the trees of the Jews" (al-Bukhari)

ETA:

The Objectives of Jihad

o9.0
(O: Jihad means to war against non-Muslims, and is etymologically derived from the word mujahada, signifying warfare to establish the religion.

o9.1 Jihad is a communal obligation (def: c3.2). When enough people perform it to successfully accomplish it, it is no longer obligatory upon others.

o9.6 It is offensive to conduct a military expedition against hostile non-Muslims without the Caliph’s permission (A: though if there is no Caliph (def: o25), no permission is required.
(The Reliance of the Traveler. Pgs 599-609)

Last edited by T-Rock; 02-06-2012 at 00:43.
T-Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 04:38   #21
Pete
Quiet Professional

80%

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmaousley View Post

Yeah what you mention above is horrible and these people identify as muslims but arent recognized by the islamic community.
Well it appears "those people" are the 80% of Islam that you 20%ers are not recognizing.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 10:30   #22
Box
Quiet Professional

I also notice that most normal western world folks are quick to openly denounce the KKK or any other band of fruitcakes (like the fine god fearing christians at westboro baptist church) as little more than common criminals

On the other hand, when someone is beheaded as an honor killing, or creates a stir and blames it on religious intolerance of islam, or looks the other way when muslim suicide bombers kill innocent muslims as a way of punishing americans, CAIR and others cut from the same cloth fail to DENOUNCE the behavior, instead they seem to remind us that there is a sensitivity that we uneducated unwashed westerners just dont understand and that we should try to understand instead of judge, accept instead of isolate...

blah blah blah...

smoke and mirrors
Opinions stated in this post are solely those of the author, and in no way reflect the opinions or policies of The Department of Defense, The United States Army, The Royal Canadian Mounted Police, The Screen Actors Guild, The Boy Scouts, The Good, The Bad, or The Ugly. These opinions are provided purely as overly sarcastic social commentary and are not meant to be used for mission planning or navigation.

"Make sure your own mask is secure before assisting others"
-Airplane Safety Briefing
Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 10:04   #23
Badger52
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmaousley View Post
Cool. I'm gonna cruise around today looking for the mild-mannered Muslim organizations; ya know, those engaged in their other Jihad, fixing their own personal failings, the ones overtly renouncing such violent behavior...
Badger52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 10:43   #24
PedOncoDoc
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger52 View Post
Cool. I'm gonna cruise around today looking for the mild-mannered Muslim organizations; ya know, those engaged in their other Jihad, fixing their own personal failings, the ones overtly renouncing such violent behavior...
You could start here: 34 Imams in Canada and US issue Fatwa against honor killings (link).

A google search for "Fatwa against suicide bombings" also yields some potential contacts.

Unfortunately, these are "too little, too late" IMHO, and have be responded to with violence by those who disagree.
‎"The dignity of man is not shattered in a single blow, but slowly softened, bent, and eventually neutered. Men are seldom forced to act, but are constantly restrained from acting. Such power does not destroy outright, but prevents genuine existence. It does not tyrannize immediately, but it dampens, weakens, and ultimately suffocates, until the entire population is reduced to nothing better than a flock of timid, uninspired animals, of which the government is shepherd." - Alexis de Tocqueville
PedOncoDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 13:14   #25
Badger52
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedOncoDoc View Post
You could start here:
Agree, in some cases (but not for present POTUS and many others) too little too late. Thanks for the links.

The 2010 Tahir-ul-Qadri document has some interesting topics. Still, this is one cleric and there is no unity of interpretation - not uncommon in religions - but not too many of the varied branches of other religions are wholesale bent on killing me & mine. A small percent of a really huge number is still a really big number.

I recall one gent on another forum quite awhile ago who drew a parallel regarding the outrage over stereotyping or profiling a threat. He posted dog attacks on humans, all breeds, the large majority of which were pit bulls and the premise was summarized by the title of the discussion:

"Once again, it was not a Golden Retriever..."
Badger52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 19:27   #26
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Could a Muslim Martin Luther reform Islam today, or would they stone him to death out of hand as an apostate?

Are Muslims capable of that level of introspection and analysis of their religion?

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 16:24   #27
greenberetTFS
Quiet Professional (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post
Could a Muslim Martin Luther reform Islam today, or would they stone him to death out of hand as an apostate?

Are Muslims capable of that level of introspection and analysis of their religion?

TR
TR

He would be stoned to death because in most of their eyes he would be an apostate..... Well,maybe not stoned,instead "beheaded" that's the more up to date measure of retaliation to those who disagree with Islam....... Give the big "O" four more years and you won't believe where this country will be at culturally,but then it maybe to late,time is not on our side............

Big Teddy
I believe that SF is a 'calling' - not too different from the calling missionaries I know received. I knew instantly that it was for me, and that I would do all I could to achieve it. Most others I know in SF experienced something similar. If, as you say, you HAVE searched and read, and you do not KNOW if this is the path for you --- it is not....
Zonie Diver

SF is a calling and it requires commitment and dedication that the uninitiated will never understand......
Jack Moroney

SFA M-2527, Chapter XXXVII

Last edited by greenberetTFS; 02-08-2012 at 16:50.
greenberetTFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 18:30   #28
Richard
Quiet Professional

Quote:
I gather you guys don't know much about how turbulent the Reformation really was within Christiandom...

Richard
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 17:20   #29
Surf n Turf
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
Buncha shit...just take your pick...
  • Taoism - Shit happens.
  • Hinduism - This shit happened before.
  • Islam - This shit is whack!
  • Buddhism - When shit happens, is it really shit?
  • 7th Day Adventists - Shit happens on Saturday.
  • Catholicism - Shit won't happen if I work harder.
  • Protestantism - If shit happens, I deserved it.
  • Jehovah's Witnesses - Knock, knock...shit happens.
  • Judaism - Why does shit always happen to me?
  • Harekrishna - Shit happens, rama rama ding dong!
  • Atheism - No shit.
  • Mormonism - Can you believe this shit!
  • TV Eangelism - Send more shit.
  • Rastafarianism - Let's smoke some shit.
And so it goes...

Richard
Richard,
You are priceless --- I don't believe I have laughed outloud for a long time.
Also like your new tagline -- stolen
SnT

Democrats would burn down this country as long as they get to rule over the ashes

The FBI’s credibility was murdered by a sniper on Ruby Ridge; its corpse was burned to ashes outside Waco; soiled in a Delaware PC repair shop;. and buried in the basement of Mar-a-Lago..
Surf n Turf is offline   Reply With Quote