Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > UWOA > Terrorism

Old 05-04-2011, 05:23   #16
Dusty
RIP Quiet Professional

I remember when George Herbert Walker Bush pulled off Desert Storm. At the time, I figured it to be the fight of the century, and I damn near got in a shitload of trouble trying to manipulate my way into it; I let off in time, but a buddy of mine wouldn't let it drop and got burned.

Anyway, I figured it to be Armaggedon. It was a great success. In my mind, Bush 41 could do no wrong, and was up there with Ronnie as a Class-A CinC.

But, what happened? He went back on his "Read my lips" promise, and raised taxes. Boom-he's outta there-winner of Armaggedon or not.

Reasonable people can figure out that, providing the op was legit, Obama had no logical choice other than give the green light to a laydown mission like that; they'll forget about it within 90 days.

If there is a poll bump, it'll be a few points, then it'll cascade next idiotic or nefarious fiscal or ethical move made.

Half the Country still aren't stupid enough to commit National suicide with the current policies in place; not yet.
Old 05-04-2011, 18:46   #17
The Reaper
Quiet Professional

Are we really sure that the POTUS green-lighted this mission?

Some think otherwise.

http://patdollard.com/2011/05/obama-...ama-bin-laden/

Can't wait till defectors from the Obama train start publishing their memoirs.

TR
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - President Theodore Roosevelt, 1910

De Oppresso Liber 01/20/2025
The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 18:48   #18
Dusty
RIP Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post

Some think otherwise.

TR
No, we can't. Good point.

I'm talking perception...
Old 05-05-2011, 23:12   #19
incarcerated
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruePatriotVii View Post
I just love how we always put it out on the news the "KEY" to what our operation was. Courier received phone call. Awesome thanks for putting that out there. Sure they may know we have the capability to do it, but don't blab that shit all over the news like Americans are the only ones going to watch it. I really can't stand the media and when stuff like this gets put out over and over again it just puts more strain on those of us that are attempting to piece together the puzzles.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/...31F_story.html

CIA spied on bin Laden from safe house

By Greg Miller, Thursday, May 5, 4:56 PM
The CIA maintained a safe house in the Pakistani city of Abbottabad for a small team of spies who conducted extensive surveillance over a period of months on the compound where Osama bin Laden was killed by U.S. Special Operations forces this week, U.S. officials said.

The secret CIA facility was used as a base of operations for one of the most delicate human intelligence gathering missions in recent CIA history, one that relied on Pakistani informants and other sources to help assemble a “pattern of life” portrait of the occupants and daily activities at the fortified compound where bin Laden was found, the officials said.

The on-the-ground surveillance work was part of an intelligence-gathering push mobilized after the discovery of the suspicious complex last August that involved virtually every category of collection in the U.S. arsenal, ranging from satellite imagery to eavesdropping efforts aimed at recording voices inside the compound.

The effort was so extensive and costly that the CIA went to Congress in December to secure authority to reallocate tens of millions of dollars within assorted agency budgets to fund it, U.S. officials said.

Most of that surveillance capability remained in place until the execution of the raid by U.S. Navy SEALs shortly after 1 a.m. in Pakistan. The agency’s safe house did not play a role in the raid and has since been shut down, in part because of concerns about the safety of CIA assets in the aftermath, but also because the agency’s work was considered finished.

“The CIA’s job was to find and fix,” said a U.S. official, using Special Operations forces terminology for the identification and location of a high-value target. “The intelligence work was as complete as it was going to be, and it was the military’s turn to finish the target.”

The official, like others quoted for this article, spoke on the condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak for the record. The CIA declined to comment....

U.S. officials said there were also disadvantages for bin Laden in residing in Abbottabad, including the fact that the area is relatively welcoming to outsiders, including Pakistanis on vacation, military families being transferred to bases there, and even U.S. soldiers who have at times been sent to Abbottabad to train Pakistani troops.

“Abbottabad is not a place where Islamic extremists went, because it wasn’t a stronghold,” said the former U.S. intelligence official involved in the bin Laden pursuit. “They preferred places like Peshawar, Quetta or Karachi.” When analysts would consider likely locations for the al-Qaeda chief, the official said, “Abbottabad wouldn’t be on that list.”

The CIA took advantage of that atmosphere to send case officers and recruited informants into Abbottabad undetected, and set up a safe house that functioned as its base.

“That is an Achilles heel for bin Laden, because anybody can go” to Abbottabad, the former CIA official said. “It makes it easier for the CIA to operate.”

U.S. officials declined to say how many case officers or informants used the facility, but they stressed that the effort required extraordinary caution because of the fear that bin Laden and those sheltering him might vanish again if spooked.

The CIA began to focus on the compound last summer after years of painstaking effort to penetrate a small network of couriers with ties to the al-Qaeda leader. Once the most important of those couriers led them to the Abbottabad compound, the conspicuous nature of the complex sent up alarms that it might have been built for bin Laden himself.

“The place was three stories high and you could watch it from a variety of angles,” the former official said. Moving into the custom-made compound, the former official said, “was his biggest mistake.”

“We can trust our doctors to be professional, to minister equally to their patients without regard to their political or religious beliefs. But we can no longer trust our professors to do the same." --David Horowitz
incarcerated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 22:03   #20
TruePatriotVii
Quiet Professional

Incarcerated,
My point exactly.
Our feet may swiftly carry out Thy commands.
So we shall flow a river forth to Thee
And teeming with souls shall it ever be.
In Nomeni Patri Et Fili Spiritus Sancti.
TruePatriotVii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 22:38   #21
incarcerated
Area Commander

Yeah, it’s like they were running some kind of school or something.

“We can trust our doctors to be professional, to minister equally to their patients without regard to their political or religious beliefs. But we can no longer trust our professors to do the same." --David Horowitz
Old 05-08-2011, 07:09   #22
greenberetTFS
Quiet Professional (RIP)

The WSJ this morning claimed they (the administration will be releasing some films taken during the OBL take down)......... They claim it's because the people want to see it,regardless of how gory the content will be ..........:rolleyes Interesting isn't it?.........

Big Teddy
I believe that SF is a 'calling' - not too different from the calling missionaries I know received. I knew instantly that it was for me, and that I would do all I could to achieve it. Most others I know in SF experienced something similar. If, as you say, you HAVE searched and read, and you do not KNOW if this is the path for you --- it is not....
Zonie Diver

SF is a calling and it requires commitment and dedication that the uninitiated will never understand......
Jack Moroney

SFA M-2527, Chapter XXXVII
greenberetTFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 08:43   #23
Richard
Quiet Professional

CIA discovers evidence of unforeseen effects of OBL death on AQ and Taliban operations...

Richard
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MFR.jpg (69.7 KB, 86 views)
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 12:12   #24
Roger
Asset

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper View Post

Some think otherwise.

http://patdollard.com/2011/05/obama-...ama-bin-laden/

TR

There will always be someone claiming Obama did or did not do something they want or don't want him to do. Check your's bias at the door, however. Love him or hate him, he's still as much president as GW was and is motivated by the same realities. Of course he said Go or it wouldn't have gone, outside second-guessers not withstanding. You all know how the NCA works. So far Obama has stayed the course in Iraq, remained and upgraded Afghanistan, kept Gitmo open, and several other things reality dictated. For that I'm glad; it shows he can recognize truth when he see's it and change his position. He still plays politics and he still isn't who I'll be voting for - mainly due to who he'll bring with him - but he's doing better now than when he first came in. I believe in credit where credits due. I just hope he enjoys his 4 years. You don't have to agree with everything a president does - just support him as President and not undermine him like was done to GW. The jobs hard enough as it is.
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 13:44   #25
incarcerated
Area Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger View Post
There will always be someone claiming Obama did or did not do something they want or don't want him to do. Check your's bias at the door, however.
Not sure where you’re coming from.
The Reaper’s comment was phrased as a question. Can you please explain to me the bias that you suggest he is displaying?

Quote:
Of course he said Go or it wouldn't have gone, outside second-guessers not withstanding. You all know how the NCA works.
While we may know how the NCA works in general, we know nothing about how this particular instance went down. How is your comment any less second-guessing than the Pat Dollard piece?

Quote:
So far Obama has stayed the course in Iraq, remained and upgraded Afghanistan….
The current Status of Forces Agreement between Washington and Baghdad stipulates that the remaining 50,000 American troops still in country must be withdrawn by the end of the year. Exactly what course has he stayed in Iraq?
What is he doing to win in Afghanistan?
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...anistan01.html

Last edited by incarcerated; 06-02-2011 at 13:48.
Old 06-02-2011, 14:16   #26
Sigaba
Area Commander

Quote:
There will always be someone claiming Obama did or did not do something they want or don't want him to do. Check your's bias at the door, however. Love him or hate him, he's still as much president as GW was and is motivated by the same realities. Of course he said Go or it wouldn't have gone, outside second-guessers not withstanding. You all know how the NCA works. So far Obama has stayed the course in Iraq, remained and upgraded Afghanistan, kept Gitmo open, and several other things reality dictated. For that I'm glad; it shows he can recognize truth when he see's it and change his position. He still plays politics and he still isn't who I'll be voting for - mainly due to who he'll bring with him - but he's doing better now than when he first came in. I believe in credit where credits due. I just hope he enjoys his 4 years. You don't have to agree with everything a president does - just support him as President and not undermine him like was done to GW. The jobs hard enough as it is.
With respect, I appreciate how your post highlights the fact that there are continuities from one president to another that belie campaign rhetoric and political posturing. IMO, the current president could have saved himself--and the nation--a lot of heartache had he not sounded the horn of "change" so loudly. The mantra generated unrealistic expectations among his base and additional concerns among his opposition.

MOO, you also raise a valid contrast between the unyielding criticism Bush the Younger received and the ongoing criticism of his successor.

However, I respectfully disagree with your assessment that the current president "is motivated by the same realities" as Bush the Younger. Specifically, the current president, IMO, still does not see the war on terrorism as a war (global or otherwise).
Sigaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 06:41   #27
rob99vmi04
Asset

Quote:
I believe in credit where credits due. I just hope he enjoys his 4 years. You don't have to agree with everything a president does - just support him as President and not undermine him like was done to GW. The jobs hard enough as it is.
If I'm going to give him credit for this......I also give him credit for having the worst unemployement and the worst housing market since the Great Depression. The highest gas prices in history, causing more damage to the economy than any single president in history by passing Obamacare, re distributing Americas wealth causing massive economic turmoil through his "stimulus package", highest food costs, highest inflation of the US dollar, highest US debt. The guy is marxists plain an simple, the community organizer has no idea how to run a country, and probably will go down in the histroy books as the worst american president to ever have taken office. I pray that we only have him until 2012.
rob99vmi04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 21:29   #28
scooter
Quiet Professional

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob99vmi04 View Post
If I'm going to give him credit for this......I also give him credit for having the worst unemployement and the worst housing market since the Great Depression. The highest gas prices in history, causing more damage to the economy than any single president in history by passing Obamacare, re distributing Americas wealth causing massive economic turmoil through his "stimulus package", highest food costs, highest inflation of the US dollar, highest US debt. The guy is marxists plain an simple, the community organizer has no idea how to run a country, and probably will go down in the histroy books as the worst american president to ever have taken office. I pray that we only have him until 2012.
Your facts are wrong. While food and gas prices are at an all time historical high, unemployment has been higher even in my lifetime, and inflation is actually low. Enemployment in 1982 was 10 percent, and inflation has peaked over 15% around both world wars and the Carter years. Inflation over the past 18 months is a little over 2 percent. O's policies may eventually lead to massive or hyper-inflation, but so far not yet. Debt as a ratio to GDP was higher during WWII than now.

I'm not a fan of POTUS by any means, but if you're going to rant, rant factually. As far as being the WORST president, he may turn out that way.... but we've has some Bad ones over the course of US history.
scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 19:54   #29
SFC Donnell
Asset

Almost...

My personal opinion: it changes little but the fact that it took 5 or more weeks for the number two guy to be announced as the new number one AQ dude. Any situation where you disrupt the enemy for 5+ weeks can be considered a victory. The fact that OBL did not die of old age is a victory however small.

Time wounds all heels.
SFC Donnell is offline   Reply With Quote