Go Back   Professional Soldiers ® > Area Studies > Middle East

Old 03-06-2011, 22:15   #91
Oldrotorhead
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
http://www.foxnews.com/world/2011/03...est=latestnews

The payment of "blood money" to the heirs of the two men killed by an American CIA contractor in Pakistan is the best way to free him, his lawyer said Friday.

The remarks by Zahid Bokhari were the clearest indication yet that the United States believes that paying compensation may play a role in getting Raymond Allen Davis out of jail and defusing a crisis that has exposed the fragility of ties between Pakistan and the U.S.

Snip
I think you are correct with respect to the blood money. Who should negotiate to payment? I really question to Federal Government's ability to do this in context and considering local conditions and expectations. Morally and practically it is wrong to leave him there to suffer whatever the Pakistanis have for him and our standards don't apply in that AO. This would not be a question of randsom, but of blood money to placate the family.

Last edited by Oldrotorhead; 03-06-2011 at 22:19.
Oldrotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 15:55   #92
lindy
Guerrilla Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by oksooner View Post
"The U.S.-Pakistan relationship today is clouded by the fate of one man, Raymond Davis, who has been arrested for killing two Pakistani men last month in Lahore. We are demanding his release under diplomatic immunity. The jihadists and their allies are demanding he be hung. Lashkar-e-Taiba is leading the chants. The Zardari government is too weak to take them on. The ISI wants U.S. intelligence operations in the country curbed and under its full control as the price for letting Davis go. There is no solution yet in sight."

That is absolutely ridiculous, I can't really say I am surprised though considering the hate Pakistani Intelligence hates US intel.

I don't see the US buying it, especially for a contractor. What do yall think?
Sooner,

How many times have you traveled OCONUS to a location that required a visa for entry? Do you really think there would be a difference between a staff officer and contractor in a situation such as this? Ever heard the term one team, one fight?

I think you've watched too many movies. Do you REALLY think this is just about Ray's unlawful detention? Next you're going to tell me Watergate was just about a break-in!

L

"There are times in your life you'll be required to perform an exceedingly difficult task to the best of your ability, regardless of your perceived capability. Mental toughness is what will carry the day during these times. In other words, you suck it up and do what you have to do." - Razor
lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 04:33   #93
Wiseman
Guerrilla Chief

CIA contractor indicted

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20110316/...FraXN0YW5jb3Vy

This is not good. I hope there is a way to get him out of there.
Wiseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 04:53   #94
Pete
Quiet Professional

Wiseman

Wiseman - have you been following the two threads on this issue over in the Mid East section of the board.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 05:23   #95
Wiseman
Guerrilla Chief

Yes I followed it. My apologies for this repost, can the moderators move my update to that particular thread?

Done - do we need to change your username? Richard
Wiseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 06:49   #96
PR31C
Guerrilla

Raymond Davis freed after blood money deal

http://www.indianexpress.com/news/ra...y-deal/763316/

CIA contractor Raymond Davis, who has been indicted earlier in the day on two murder charges in Pakistan, was acquitted and released on Wednesday after a deal to pay blood money to the victims' families was reached, Punjab Law Minister Rana Sanaullah said.
"A politician sees his family everyday; a deployed soldier once in 6 months or a year. A politician flies 1st class; a soldier flies in a C130. A politician's pension is not reduced; a soldier's is clawed 65%. A politician enjoys an expense account; a soldier must justify extra rations. A politician vows to defend their country; a soldier actually keeps that promise."

"Beware of fake quotes on the Internet." -- Abraham Lincoln.
PR31C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 09:23   #97
Richard
Quiet Professional

Politics - perception, power and $$.

And so it goes...

Richard

A CIA contractor who shot and killed two Pakistani men was freed from prison on Wednesday after the United States paid $2.34 million in "blood money" to the victims' families, Pakistani officials said, defusing a dispute that had strained ties between Washington and Islamabad.

In what appeared to be carefully choreographed end to the diplomatic crisis, the U.S. Embassy said the Justice Department had opened an investigation into the killings on Jan. 27 by Raymond Allen Davis. It thanked the families for "their generosity" in pardoning Davis, but did not mention any money changing hands.

The killings and detention of Davis triggered a fresh wave of anti-American sentiment in Pakistan and were testing an alliance seen as key to defeating al-Qaida and ending the war in Afghanistan.

The tensions were especially sharp between the CIA and Pakistan's powerful Inter Services Intelligence Agency, which says it did not know Davis was operating in the country. One ISI official said it had backed the "blood money" deal. There appeared to be little public backlash as night fell in Pakistan.

Davis claimed he acted in self-defense when he killed the two men on the street in the eastern city of Lahore.

The United States had insisted Davis was covered by diplomatic immunity, but the weak government here, facing intense pressure from Islamist parties, sections of the media and the general public, refused to acknowledge the protection.

The payment of "blood money", sanctioned under Pakistani law, had been suggested as the best way to end the dispute.

Given the high stakes for both nations, few imagined either side would allow it to derail the relationship. The main question was how long it would take to reach a deal.

Punjab Law Minister Rana Sanaullah said Davis was charged with murder Wednesday in a court that was convened in a prison in Lahore, but was immediately pardoned by the families of the victims after the payment.

Reporters were not allowed to witness the proceedings.

"This all happened in court and everything was according to law," he said. "The court has acquitted Raymond Davis. Now he can go anywhere."

Raja Muhammad Irshad, a laywer for the families, said 19 male and female relatives appeared in court to accept the money.

He said each told the court "they were ready to accept the blood money deal without pressure and would have no objection if the court acquitted Raymond Davis."

Representatives of the families had previously said they would refuse any money.

Some media reports said the some of the families had been given permission to live in the United States.

Irshad said that was not discussed in court.

The case dominated headlines and television shows in Pakistan, with pundits using it to whip up hatred against the already unpopular United States. While the case played out in court, many analysts said that the dispute was essentially one between the CIA and the ISA, and that they would need to resolve their differences before Davis could be freed.

One ISI official said CIA director Leon Panetta and ISI chief Gen. Shuja Pasha talked in mid-February to smooth out the friction between the two spy agencies. A U.S. official confirmed that the phone call took place.

Pasha demanded the U.S. identify "all the Ray Davises working in Pakistan, behind our backs," the official said.

He said Panetta agreed "in principle" to declare such employees, the official said, but would not confirm if the agency had done so.

A second ISI official said as a result of that conversation the ISI — which along with the army is a major power center in the country — then backed an effort to help negotiate the "blood money."
The officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they are not allowed to give their names to the media.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110316/...ained_american
“Sometimes the Bible in the hand of one man is worse than a whisky bottle in the hand of (another)… There are just some kind of men who – who’re so busy worrying about the next world they’ve never learned to live in this one, and you can look down the street and see the results.” - To Kill A Mockingbird (Atticus Finch)

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” - Robert Heinlein
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 12:02   #98
Hand
Guerrilla Chief

Sirs,

A conflicting statement from our MissSecretary of State:

Quote:
(CBS/AP) Updated 1:20 p.m. ET
LAHORE, Pakistan - A CIA contractor who shot and killed two Pakistani men was freed from prison on Wednesday after the United States paid $2.34 million in "blood money" to the victims' families, Pakistani officials said, defusing a dispute that had strained ties between Washington and Islamabad.

Secretary of State Hillary Clinton denied the U.S. paid compensation for Davis' release.
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/...20043734.shtml
I don't understand the need for posturing on her part. Is this an attempt to keep an official stance that we disagree with the situation?

I'm glad that Davis is free in any case.
Hand is offline   Reply With Quote